Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 25, 2017, 07:56:24 AM
If I understand you correctly, you say, that a performance is expressive to you, if you respond to it, and inexpressive, if you do not respond to it. And that there is no objective way to describe expressivity.

Give me some time to mull over this subtle question. Another example where a performer seems to use lots of techniques prima facie designed to make the music expressive but who doesn't elicit an emotional response from me is David Cates, in his Froberger especially.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 25, 2017, 08:39:00 AM
Give me some time to mull over this subtle question. Another example where a performer seems to use lots of techniques prima facie designed to make the music expressive but who doesn't elicit an emotional response from me is David Cates, in his Froberger especially.

I do not know his Froberger, but I feel exactly what you describe, about his French suites.

A propos Froberger I recently - prompted by your words in another thread - acquired Glüxam's CD, and I find it very expressive, because it evokes a strong emotional response from me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 25, 2017, 10:30:34 AM
I do not know his Froberger, but I feel exactly what you describe, about his French suites.

A propos Froberger I recently - prompted by your words in another thread - acquired Glüxam's CD, and I find it very expressive, because it evokes a strong emotional response from me.

yes I agree, Glüxam was a great find by Gordo. I still need to get round to listening to his Bach.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 25, 2017, 10:38:08 AM
yes I agree, Glüxam was a great find by Gordo. I still need to get round to listening to his Bach.

Yes, Gordo was the first to mention this recording, but you were the first to comment it - even if only briefly.

Glüxam's Goldbergs are on my wish-list.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 25, 2017, 11:37:19 AM
Yes, Gordo was the first to mention this recording, but you were the first to comment it - even if only briefly.

Glüxam's Goldbergs are on my wish-list.

If you can find it, his Duphly is mighty fine as well.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Mar/Bach_WTC_CD176.htm
This review of Mordecai Shehori is instriguing. I wonder if anyone has heard it?

bioluminescentsquid

milk

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on March 30, 2017, 06:23:27 AM
Cool-sounding! It's on youtube (which probably means it's also on Spotify)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zSJy0neuI&list=PL3YcWEpXB2sDx7Eg89LSIdIehT6vgkb_D&index=1
I'm enjoying it too. It's not extreme sounding to me. I was expecting something like Feinberg but it doesn't go that far. But it is a different approach. It has some nice touches.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on March 30, 2017, 07:03:50 AM
I'm enjoying it too. It's not extreme sounding to me. I was expecting something like Feinberg but it doesn't go that far. But it is a different approach. It has some nice touches.

Have a listen to his Chopin etudes.

milk

milk

I think I'm suffering from some kind of malady. I'm seriously addicted to WTC. This has recently gotten worse. It started with a few weeks of a few comparisons before bed and now it has snowballed into constant fixation. I've been cajoling my wife but maybe she's had enough of WTC. I went through a period where I listened mostly to harpsichord. Recently the Feinberg recordings have caused a deepening mental stutter with the piano. Tonight I decided to make a mix-and-match "historical/romantic" piano playlist. I downloaded performances by Walter Gieseking, Edwin Fischer, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, and Sviatoslav Richter to create one full book II. Incidentally, I can't seem to enjoy Turek much these days, let a lone Gould. Who else seems eccentric on piano? I want weird clanky old recordings. But I've got to get back to cembalo...

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 04, 2017, 09:08:02 AM
I think I'm suffering from some kind of malady. I'm seriously addicted to WTC. This has recently gotten worse. It started with a few weeks of a few comparisons before bed and now it has snowballed into constant fixation. I've been cajoling my wife but maybe she's had enough of WTC. I went through a period where I listened mostly to harpsichord. Recently the Feinberg recordings have caused a deepening mental stutter with the piano. Tonight I decided to make a mix-and-match "historical/romantic" piano playlist. I downloaded performances by Walter Gieseking, Edwin Fischer, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, and Sviatoslav Richter to create one full book II. Incidentally, I can't seem to enjoy Turek much these days, let a lone Gould. Who else seems eccentric on piano? I want weird clanky old recordings. But I've got to get back to cembalo...
Maurice Cole, Arthur Loesser, Maria Yudina, Emil Naomoff, John Lewis, Jorg Demus maybe.

I assume you've heard Landowska.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 04, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Maurice Cole, Arthur Loesser, Maria Yudina, Emil Naomoff, John Lewis, Jorg Demus maybe.

Yes. And Demus live. That was the best concert I've ever experienced. But I haven't been to that many.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 04, 2017, 10:34:05 AM

I'm going to pick up some of these. I had Landowska on vinyl. Lost it years ago along with my record player.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 04, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
I'm going to pick up some of these. I had Landowska on vinyl. Lost it years ago along with my record player.

I've been listening to some Landowska recently and I've been impressed by the liveliness of the voicing.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 04, 2017, 09:47:19 PM
I've been listening to some Landowska recently and I've been impressed by the liveliness of the voicing.
I'm revisiting Wanda. She has that quirky uniqueness. I know it's not necessarily very baroque but I appreciate the imagination. I'm surprised at how not-blown-away I am over Gieseking and Richter. I thought I'd be more impressed. I like Gieseking's Debussy. Maybe I should try Fischer more. Some of your recommendations are not easy to find as downloads. I'm trying to drift back to harpsichord. I find Leonhardt and Gilbert very pleasing. Gilbert is very clear and his instrument is a pleasure. It's not hard to see why people love Wilson but his instrument is rather noisy. Recently, I'm more sensitive to harpsichords - to their sound quality. Maybe it's because I play a lot of stuff to my wife (who is new to classical music). Some harpsichords are like Lutes and some are like electric guitars!
People haven't talked about Christine Schornsheim much around here but I'd like to recommend her. Listen to her BII E major prelude as a sample. She does something unique with the register that works rather nicely. I think I'm going to declare myself too impatient for Mr. Watchorn. Maybe I'm the only one but it's just too slow. I've spent years trying to like it. I give up. Anyway, any other candidates for romantic piano? The sound quality for Mieczyslaw Horszowski was just too bad. I don't mind tape hiss, but there's digital hums on my downloads.

milk

I just purchased Fischer's complete Books 1&2. I'm responding more to him than Richter or Gieseking. I also re-bought Wanda. These should be interesting listens. Somehow, I feel like WTC is in a category by itself. I want to hear every angle from the keyboard. It's too bad there isn't a good complete clavichord. Levin is quite good. But Tuma and Tilney are just too dry for me. I wish Landowska had recorded on the piano. I don't care much for the monster she plays. However, perhaps it was in the service of a greater goal we have now reached.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: milk on April 05, 2017, 04:04:00 AM
I just purchased Fischer's complete Books 1&2. I'm responding more to him than Richter or Gieseking. I also re-bought Wanda. These should be interesting listens. Somehow, I feel like WTC is in a category by itself. I want to hear every angle from the keyboard. It's too bad there isn't a good complete clavichord. Levin is quite good. But Tuma and Tilney are just too dry for me. I wish Landowska had recorded on the piano. I don't care much for the monster she plays. However, perhaps it was in the service of a greater goal we have now reached.

Any opinion on the recordings by Ivo Janssen or Belder?

milk

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on April 05, 2017, 08:48:14 AM
Any opinion on the recordings by Ivo Janssen or Belder?
I haven't heard those. Someone around here must have a conclusion. Fischer is great. I managed to get a hold of Demus. His WTC is spectacular. I don't know why he's not more popular. They should reissue his WTC, at least on iTunes.