Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I'm enjoying George Lepauw, mostly. The rubato is extreme sometimes and he does a lot with articulation and ornamentation. I guess it depends whether you can go with the emotional moments or if they strike you as false. Something like that.
It doesn't seem like he's sparked much conversation here yet.

vers la flamme

I just got Gould, the most recent 4CD issue. I'll listen to some of it later today.

What is a good (and cheap!) set on a period harpsichord? I've been looking at Bob van Asperen. Any good?

amw

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 05, 2020, 04:51:22 AM
What is a good (and cheap!) set on a period harpsichord? I've been looking at Bob van Asperen. Any good?
Yes, one of the best. Céline Frisch would be my other choice (but probably not as cheap)

prémont

I just got Gould, the most recent 4CD issue. I'll listen to some of it later today.

Pieter Jan Belder or Colin Booth, both relatively inexpensive.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

milk

Is Suzuki expensive? There's Glenn Wilson too.

prémont

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2020, 06:00:09 AM

Suzuki is rather expensive (Presto sometimes have BIS sales making it a bit cheaper).
As far as I know Wilson's WTC is OOP.

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 05, 2020, 06:10:19 AM
Suzuki is rather expensive (Presto sometimes have BIS sales making it a bit cheaper).
As far as I know Wilson's WTC is OOP.
Parmentier is good.
Does anyone know anything about Michel Kiener?

prémont

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2020, 07:08:55 AM
Parmentier is good.
Does anyone know anything about Michel Kiener?

As far as I know, Parmentier recorded only book I. However a nice and opulent recording.

Michel Kiener isn't my cup of tea. He arguably displays some good ideas with well judged agogic rubato, but generally he is too conservative to my taste, and his instrument isn't that period sounding, even if it may be.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 05, 2020, 08:07:26 AM
As far as I know, Parmentier recorded only book I. However a nice and opulent recording.

Michel Kiener isn't my cup of tea. He arguably displays some good ideas with well judged agogic rubato, but generally he is too conservative to my taste, and his instrument isn't that period sounding, even if it may be.

After a Blanchet, a Ruckers with a ravalement I think. Maybe the sobriety of the playing paired with the kaleidoscopic instrument just works to make something memorable. I find what Kiener does very moving.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2020, 06:00:09 AM

Yes, very—about $60 for the whole thing, checking now.

@ Premont, Belder sounds great—thanks!

prémont

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 05, 2020, 02:54:32 PM

@ Premont, Belder sounds great—thanks!

If you want one more (other than Belder) the link to Colin Booth's home page is here:

https://www.colinbooth.co.uk/recordings.html

milk

I haven't listened to Robert Levin for a long time but I was absolutely in love with it years ago. My memory now is that while he uses a variety of wonderful and interesting period instruments, he plays with a steady pulse. I have to go back and see. I hesitate to recommend it.

Mandryka

I've been looking at Bob van Asperen. Any good?

It is very good indeed. Remember Asperen's Pokemon , , ,

Iota

I'm about half-way through Book I of Dominique Merlet's modern piano recording on the Le Palais des Dégustateurs label, and apart from a quick (and rather effective) C major Prelude, and occasional octaves in the final bass entry of fugues, this is about as strait-laced and dispassionate a reading as I've heard.
It's okay, the counterpoint is commendably clear and Bach's so receptive to different approaches, but am waiting to see if I warm to it or not, as I currently have about one and a half feet in the unpersuaded camp.

vers la flamme

I just learned that Wilhelm Kempff recorded both books. Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

prémont

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 06, 2020, 12:21:12 PM
I just learned that Wilhelm Kempff recorded both books. Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

He only recorded part of both books. My description of his playing would be "sweet".

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on September 06, 2020, 12:09:03 AM
It is very good indeed. Remember Asperen's Pokemon , , ,
What do you think of Levin? I think what's great about Levin is the atmosphere he created. He's often straightforward in his delivery but it doesn't come off sounding strict or unemotional. He makes great choices and use of instruments. Sometimes he's poignant - especially on the fortepiano and organ. The clavichord work is great too even though, as I said, he doesn't play around with rubato very much. It's more about color.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 06, 2020, 09:26:36 PM
What do you think of Levin? I think what's great about Levin is the atmosphere he created. He's often straightforward in his delivery but it doesn't come off sounding strict or unemotional. He makes great choices and use of instruments. Sometimes he's poignant - especially on the fortepiano and organ. The clavichord work is great too even though, as I said, he doesn't play around with rubato very much. It's more about color.

Never heard it, I'll try to listen soon.

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 05, 2020, 05:57:13 AM
Pieter Jan Belder or Colin Booth, both relatively inexpensive.

I found Belder, unexpectedly, quite dissapointing. Would be my dud of 2019...

Q

milk

Quote from: Que on September 06, 2020, 10:29:17 PM
I found Belder, unexpectedly, quite dissapointing. Would be my dud of 2019...

Q
What don't you like about it?