Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Moonfish on March 11, 2015, 12:11:29 PM
Thanks Dave!
I generally gravitate towards the "class" renditions (both harpsichord and piano), but always keep my ears perked for other performances. Crochet's version on YouTube sounds very appealing in my ears....

Don's reviews have helped me over the years buy some great performancess; my tastes seem to blend nicely w/ his comments - also an excellent review from Fanfare, reprinted HERE - SO, I went ahead and ordered the 4-CD set on the Amazon MP - just $23 + S/H - $6/disc seemed like a good deal to me.  Dave :)

Sammy

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2015, 08:23:00 AM
What do you guys think of Crossland?

I think Jill Crossland's WTC is wonderful - subtle changes in tempo, dynamics and texture that keeps the music fresh and engaging throughout.  I'm not thrilled with her Goldbergs disc however.

Woodward's another big winner.  A very serious guy, just hits the heart of my comfort zone.

Mandryka

Quote from: Sammy on March 11, 2015, 06:39:53 PM
I think Jill Crossland's WTC is wonderful - subtle changes in tempo, dynamics and texture that keeps the music fresh and engaging throughout.  I'm not thrilled with her Goldbergs disc however.

Woodward's another big winner.  A very serious guy, just hits the heart of my comfort zone.

I'll try to get hold of a copy of Crossley's. Tell me Don, did you ever review Tilney's BK2?  I saw some stuff by you about Book 1, but not book 2.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/ygWuAlhxATc

This is from Ruzickova's first recording of WTC, made in 1971. It's pretty good I think, I didn't know about this early recording until recently, there's quite a lot of it on youtube but as far as I can see no other transfers.

bluto32

I'm gradually getting into Bach (on the piano), and am planning to get one or two more recordings of the Well-Tempered Clavier. Having tried a few samples online, I think Roger Woodward's WTC might be on my shortlist.

[asin]B002PO4JFQ[/asin]

A couple of reviews on Amazon UK and US sadly mentioned some problems with the packaging. Book 2 apparently comes on 3 CDs tightly packed with a booklet in only a single-thickness jewel case, with the result that the spindles were broken and CDs scratched. Has anyone here had similar issues with the packaging?

Bluto

bluto32

I have another WTC question, this time regarding Richter's 1970 and 72-73 recordings of Books 1 and 2.
Has anyone compared any of these transfers? If so, do they differ noticeably in sound quality?

1) Commonly found RCA 4-disc set first released in 1992:
[asin]B000026OHN[/asin]

2) Remastered (I think) by Sony in 2009:
[asin]B002K8BJS2[/asin][asin]B002K8BJSC[/asin]

3) Recent release by Alto in 2014:
[asin]B00MI3TSHS[/asin]

4) Olympia release:
[asin]B0058TJM1Q[/asin][asin]B004FLW37S[/asin]

Also, any views on the Woodward packaging welcome (see previous post).

Many thanks,
Bluto

kishnevi

Quote from: bluto32 on August 30, 2015, 01:21:06 AM
I'm gradually getting into Bach (on the piano), and am planning to get one or two more recordings of the Well-Tempered Clavier. Having tried a few samples online, I think Roger Woodward's WTC might be on my shortlist.

[asin]B002PO4JFQ[/asin]

A couple of reviews on Amazon UK and US sadly mentioned some problems with the packaging. Book 2 apparently comes on 3 CDs tightly packed with a booklet in only a single-thickness jewel case, with the result that the spindles were broken and CDs scratched. Has anyone here had similar issues with the packaging?

Bluto

I ended up returning mine to Amazon for a refund.  At least one CD was completely unplayable.  And listening to the CDs that were playable, I felt the performance was not that great, so I did not ask for an exchange, just a refund

Mandryka

Opinions appreciated on Egarr's Book 2, which I'm starting to explore.

Sadko

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 05, 2015, 03:03:26 PM
I ended up returning mine to Amazon for a refund.  At least one CD was completely unplayable.  And listening to the CDs that were playable, I felt the performance was not that great, so I did not ask for an exchange, just a refund

[Woodward WTC]

Technically mine was ok, but I also don't share the enthusiasm of many and got rid of it. If I remember correctly I found the interpretation a bit "artificial", deliberate, somehow against my feelings, irritating.

Mandryka

[asin]B002PO4JFQ[/asin]

Bluto

The review here says that the packaging is absolutely wonderful, in fact I'm tempted to buy the CDs  just for the packaging.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Mar10/Bach_Woodward_199225.htm

As far as performance goes, I have a download, and I think it has some intersting ideas in it. I do not like the timbre he makes, at first I thought it was the spotify stream, so I got some lossless files. But the spotify stream is good. This is a personal thing of course, it should be easy for you to check for yourself.

My feeling is that he's very often more like someone whispering, a whispered siren song,  than someone making big gestures.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 06, 2015, 07:25:13 AM
The review here says that the packaging is absolutely wonderful, in fact I'm tempted to buy the CDs  just for the packaging.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Mar10/Bach_Woodward_199225.htm

As far as performance goes, I have a download, and I think it has some intersting ideas in it. I do not like the timbre he makes, at first I thought it was the spotify stream, so I got some lossless files. But the spotify stream is good. This is a personal thing of course, it should be easy for you to check for yourself.

Concerning the Woodward performance, I enjoy the recordings and agree w/ the review linked above - my 5-disc set came in a sturdy cardboard box containing 2 single-sized jewel boxes; WTC I is in one jewel container while the other contains 3 discs - the 3rd disc is attached to the inside of the back w/ the insert having a hole in the middle; all discs played well.

Back in March on this thread, Don (a.k.a. Sammy) left his thoughts quoted immediately below.  Also, I was reviewing the comments on Amazon and came across one by David Cates (2nd quote below) - the name piqued my interest because I own Bach's French Suites on harpsichord done by a performer of the same name, so found his website and sent an email; well, much to my surprise they were the same and he sent me a quick response (last quote below) - I guess that Cates' perspective has a keyboardist's validity.  Just thought all here might be interested - Dave :)

QuoteI think Jill Crossland's WTC is wonderful - subtle changes in tempo, dynamics and texture that keeps the music fresh and engaging throughout.  I'm not thrilled with her Goldbergs disc however.

QuoteSublime WTC - 5 STAR RATING

By David Cates on January 31, 2010

Format: Audio CD Verified Purchase
This is a lovely piano performance of the great Well-Tempered Clavier. The best one I recall hearing. Roger Woodward avoids eccentricities - he renders this beautifully, with no attempt to mimic a harpsichord. He uses the tonal palette of the piano, never affected, but full of depth and emotion. The interplay of all the voices, with various parts emerging and receding, is sensitively done. The piano tone is gentle in general, but incisive when needed. Best of all, he really makes everything sing. Every piece is characterized individually; there is a wonderful variety of tone colours and articulation. Most recordings of this cycle have a sameness of interpretation that dulls the mind after a while, but not here. And to top it all off, the set comes with mini-scores as well as very nice reproductions of the facsimile manuscript. A must-have performance.

QuoteHi Dave,

Sorry, I haven't listened to them for a while now, so I don't remember much.  Maybe I'll give them another listen.

There will always be complainers, for good or bad performances. Sometimes that comes from deeply held beliefs about 'proper' style; some people think interpretive expression in baroque music is wrong, others find conservative performances dull. Can't never please everybody.

Best - David

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 08, 2015, 06:04:03 AM
Concerning the Woodward performance, I enjoy the recordings and agree w/ the review linked above - my 5-disc set came in a sturdy cardboard box containing 2 single-sized jewel boxes; WTC I is in one jewel container while the other contains 3 discs - the 3rd disc is attached to the inside of the back w/ the insert having a hole in the middle; all discs played well.

Back in March on this thread, Don (a.k.a. Sammy) left his thoughts quoted immediately below.  Also, I was reviewing the comments on Amazon and came across one by David Cates (2nd quote below) - the name piqued my interest because I own Bach's French Suites on harpsichord done by a performer of the same name, so found his website and sent an email; well, much to my surprise they were the same and he sent me a quick response (last quote below) - I guess that Cates' perspective has a keyboardist's validity.  Just thought all here might be interested - Dave :)

I appreciate that what I'm about to do is totally inappropriate and you may choose to ignore it, but given that you own the release, could you summarise in not more than 300 words the contents of Woodward's essay "In search of a performance practice" ?

Please.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 08, 2015, 07:50:10 AM
I appreciate that what I'm about to do is totally inappropriate and you may choose to ignore it, but given that you own the release, could you summarise in not more than 300 words the contents of Woodward's essay "In search of a performance practice" ?

Please.

Hopefully that is a 'tongue in cheek' request?  :laugh:  I came to it, saw it, but did not conquer!  Gave up, sorry - I'm just not good @ all reading those 'artistic' essays - Dave :)

bluto32

Thank you all for your views on the Woodward recording - much appreciated.

Regarding Richter, I have since found a thread on another forum saying that the 2009 Sony transfer is better than the 1992 RCA release i.e. (2) is better than (1) in my previous post. I can't find any information of the quality of the Alto (3) or Olympia (4) transfers, however. Are these labels any good normally?

Bluto

George

Quote from: bluto32 on September 09, 2015, 03:12:22 PM
Thank you all for your views on the Woodward recording - much appreciated.

Regarding Richter, I have since found a thread on another forum saying that the 2009 Sony transfer is better than the 1992 RCA release i.e. (2) is better than (1) in my previous post. I can't find any information of the quality of the Alto (3) or Olympia (4) transfers, however. Are these labels any good normally?

Bluto

Alto I have only seen as a reissue of stuff that was earlier on Olympia. I would assume the same mastering, as the Regis reissues of Olympia releases that I have heard feature the same mastering.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

bluto32

The back of the Alto CD case says:

(1) "Previously issued on Olympia"
and
(2) "mastered for Alto by Peter Arden-Taylor".

Hmmm... The first suggests a reissue; the second suggests a remastering.
If anyone has more one of the 4 versions in my post above, which one would you recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Sony 2009 remasterings at present just going on an Amazon review.

Bluto

terje

Quote from: bluto32 on September 15, 2015, 11:48:30 AM
I'm leaning towards the Sony 2009 remasterings at present just going on an Amazon review.

There's also a review of the Sony SACD set which might be worth looking at

http://www.amazon.com/BACH-WELL-TEMPERED-CLAVIER-hybrid-remaster/dp/B0085DWC7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442348430&sr=1-1&keywords=richter+bach+sacd

Does the '69 set on Melodiya interest you?

bluto32

According to that review of the Richter SACD, it doesn't sound too good  :(

Thanks for mentioning the alternative 1969 recording by Richter. I've since looked into it, but given various comments about audience noise I think I'd be better off with the better known studio version above.

Bluto

Sammy

[asin]B002PO4JFQ[/asin]

Bluto

Yes, that packing is very tight.  My spindles were not broken; they just were not tall enough to really hold the discs.  It's funky, but I haven't noticed any damage to the discs.

Jo498

CDs are tougher than most CD cases and will "survive" quite a bit, unless you have bad luck.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal