Author Topic: Kalevi Aho(born 1949)  (Read 32663 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Kalevi Aho(born 1949)
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
We have to agree to disagree here about his symphonies.  8)

Some may sound shostakovian-like, granted, but I do feel they are better than imagined. They're bleak, heavy and with a touch of personal irony. From the 5th Symphony on is even more noticed. It begins to be free from the Shostakovich influence to become more personal. And regarding especially the 10th, for me has been tremendous, shocking and with a weirdly enthralling atmosphere. The orchestration is shattering in a good way, a consummate work and one that leaves a strong impression. The Adagio is the largest and impressive. It's close to a candidate to a masterpiece IMO.

Offline relm1

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
Oh, I’m surprised and rather disappointed that I haven’t found any works of Aho’s apart from those I mentioned above which I really like. Plus I have only a limited amount of funds to pour into the Swedish economy via Bis, so I think I’ll give Aho a rest for the moment. Even the much-praised Symphony No. 10 didn’t do anything for me  :(

Check out 12, you might like that.  If not, then yeah, you'll prefer mozart or something.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
Check out 12, you might like that.  If not, then yeah, you'll prefer mozart or something.

Well I do like Mozart, but I comparing Aho to his contemporaries and near-contemporaires.

Offline relm1

« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
Well I do like Mozart, but I comparing Aho to his contemporaries and near-contemporaires.

So then Aho isn't your thing.  What do you want, mate?  If you've gone through everything people have recommended and don't like it, move on.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »
Think I what's what I just told everyone I was about to do.  ;)

Offline schnittkease

« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »
One more!

Have you tried the Clarinet Concerto?

Offline pjme

« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:25 PM »

The Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra was commissioned for Jörgen van Rijen, who also performs it here. The concerto is actually Aho’s second concertante piece for the trombone – his Symphony No. 9 (1994) included a substantial and very virtuosic solo part for the instrument. In that work, and even more so in the concerto, the composer’s aim has been to extend the expressive and virtuosic possibilities of the trombone. Composed around the same time, the Trumpet Concerto is scored for the wind section of a medium-sized symphony orchestra, plus two saxophones, baritone horn and percussion. It was given its premiere by the same musicians that perform it here, the Antwerp Symphony Orchestra under Martyn Brabbins supporting its principal trumpet Alain De Rudder in what is often a surprisingly jazzy work. (Source = BIS)

Alain De Rudder isn't only principal in Antwerp, he  works regularly with the Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt, the NDR-Sinfonieorchester Hamburg,he played with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra and  I Solisti del Vento, Oxalys and Champ d'Action.
He is equally at home with the Orchestre des Champs-Elysées, Collegium Vocale Gent, Il Gardellino, B’Rock, Le Concert Lorrain and. Gli Angéli Genève.

I only heard the trumpet concerto and liked its spiky dynamism.