Maria Callas

Started by knight66, May 08, 2007, 06:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Peregrine on February 08, 2008, 09:47:09 AM
Hurrah! Mine has  arrived, really looking forward to listening over the weekend.  :)

Still waiting for mine  :(
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lilas Pastia

There's hope, then!  ;)

Joke aside, please report about the sound quality when you guys have heard it !!

Sarastro

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on February 08, 2008, 02:25:50 PM
Joke aside, please report about the sound quality when you guys have heard it !!

I have a copy of this recording from one del Monaco fan, and must assume that sound quality is good. And singing is excellent. :D I highly recommend!

By the way, I've got a couple Callas's recordings of Donna Anna's "Non mi dir", also "Or sai chi l'onore', and Donna Elvira's "Mi tradi". I can't really say this is Anna of my dreams, but not bad.
Mozart's great music doesn't allow to swing and flow the voice, imho.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Sarastro on February 08, 2008, 05:41:47 PM
I have a copy of this recording from one del Monaco fan, and must assume that sound quality is good. And singing is excellent. :D I highly recommend!

By the way, I've got a couple Callas's recordings of Donna Anna's "Non mi dir", also "Or sai chi l'onore', and Donna Elvira's "Mi tradi". I can't really say this is Anna of my dreams, but not bad.
Mozart's great music doesn't allow to swing and flow the voice, imho.

The Mozart she recorded in 1963 is from when her voice was well past her best, and she no longer has the firmness required for this music. And, surprisingly for her, interpretative insights are few, though she tears into the recitative of "Mi tradi", with real conviction. However, when she made a test recording of "Non mi dir" for EMI in 1953 (unfortunately shorn of its recitative) she sings with absolute security and sails through the aria as if it is the easiest thing in the world. It was, as I said, a test recording, pure and simple, not meant for a release, and made so that the engineers could get a feel for the voice. It is nonetheless a wonderfully assured performance. Phrasing is spacious and she harldy seems to breathe at all. Remarkable is the way she phrases though and into the second statement of "non mi dir", as is the long breathed rallentando before she embarks on the alegretto, which she sings with an ease and accuracy not available to many Annas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxmsIc6Gf0

knight66

Translondon, Thanks for the link, it is really beautiful. I have not heard this track before. It seems odd to me that test tracks emerge, where the orchestral parts have to be obtained, the orchestra presumably rehearse; yet it is not then a piece that is formally recorded....furthermore, it is off the normal repertoire for the singer.

Especially odd when the result is so delightful.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on February 09, 2008, 12:57:03 AM
The Mozart she recorded in 1963 is from when her voice was well past her best, and she no longer has the firmness required for this music. And, surprisingly for her, interpretative insights are few, though she tears into the recitative of "Mi tradi", with real conviction. However, when she made a test recording of "Non mi dir" for EMI in 1953 (unfortunately shorn of its recitative) she sings with absolute security and sails through the aria as if it is the easiest thing in the world. It was, as I said, a test recording, pure and simple, not meant for a release, and made so that the engineers could get a feel for the voice. It is nonetheless a wonderfully assured performance. Phrasing is spacious and she harldy seems to breathe at all. Remarkable is the way she phrases though and into the second statement of "non mi dir", as is the long breathed rallentando before she embarks on the alegretto, which she sings with an ease and accuracy not available to many Annas.

It is indeed everything you say it is, but I don't think it's a real Anna sound. I've known it for a long time and came back to it every now and then without ever being convinced. Callas' was a big voice, and no amount of fining down could disguise the sheer size of her sound. Here she sounds like treading carefully to avoid sounding like Norma. When she goes into those high-lying fortes I have the feeling of a powerful beast trying to get out of its cage. I'm making this sound rather bad, but it's not. It's still an extraordinary interpretation, both vocally and artistically. But I think the Mozart ladies have a different kind of vocal makeup.

Here's a good example of the kind of sound I associate with Anna: it's a youtube vid of
Teresa Stich-Randall in the same aria. She shows only half (if that) of Callas' dramatic instincts, but the compact, silvery, penetrating tone is a good example of what I have in mind. On the same page there's Elizabeth Grümmer singing Non mi dir (in German). Hers is an 'in between' kind of voice. Bigger and more 'operatic' than Stich-Randall's, but powerful and hugely convincing as a total package.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on February 09, 2008, 07:14:40 AM
It is indeed everything you say it is, but I don't think it's a real Anna sound. I've known it for a long time and came back to it every now and then without ever being convinced. Callas' was a big voice, and no amount of fining down could disguise the sheer size of her sound. Here she sounds like treading carefully to avoid sounding like Norma. When she goes into those high-lying fortes I have the feeling of a powerful beast trying to get out of its cage. I'm making this sound rather bad, but it's not. It's still an extraordinary interpretation, both vocally and artistically. But I think the Mozart ladies have a different kind of vocal makeup.

Here's a good example of the kind of sound I associate with Anna: it's a youtube vid of
Teresa Stich-Randall in the same aria. She shows only half (if that) of Callas' dramatic instincts, but the compact, silvery, penetrating tone is a good example of what I have in mind. On the same page there's Elizabeth Grümmer singing Non mi dir (in German). Hers is an 'in between' kind of voice. Bigger and more 'operatic' than Stich-Randall's, but powerful and hugely convincing as a total package.

Personally, I do tend to prefer a larger voice for Anna. I like Sutherland, but I also enjoy Grummer (in many off the air broadcasts from Salzburg with Furtwangler conducting). Interestingly enough, for most of these performances Schwarzkopf was the Elvira, and she is on record as saying that these performances are a much truer representation of her usual Elvira. For the Giulini, she gave a slightly more shrewish interpretation, to offset the gentler, creamy voiced Anna of Sutherland, but I digress. I seem to remember Leontyne Price also sang the role (for Karajan in Salzburg I believe, also with Schwarzkopf as Elvira). I haven't heard any broadcasts of those performances, but I do remember a studio version of "non mi dir", in which the aria is sung beatifully, though Price is defeated by the coloratura in the alegretto. I see that many of the Annas I do like, also sang a deal of Verdi - I'm thinking of Welitsch, Tomova-Sintov, Arroyo, Margaret Price, Sutherland. Stich-Randall's peformance is indeed nicely sung, but I miss the power of one of those larger voices.

Another early example of Callas's Mozart is this recording of her singing "Martern aller Arten" from "Die Entfuhrug aus dem Serail" (in Italian). Surprisingly enough, Costanze was introduced to the stage of La Scala by Maria Callas. The date: April 2, 1952. I know of no other performance, except perhaps the one by Schwarzkopf, which is sung with such fire, defiance, and yet with such femininity. The sustained top C is a little acrid, to be sure, but the final scale passage, in unison with the orchestra is stunningly executed.

Sarastro

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on February 09, 2008, 12:57:03 AM
"Non mi dir" for EMI in 1953

Oh, I have three "Non mi dir's" there, one of the of course from 1953, but as I said I didn't really like it. I prefer another type of voices here. And maybe Callas thought so if she didn't sing Mozart. (I do not count Constanze and couple arias from Don Giovanni)

Maybe my favorite is Carol Vaness, she is both spinto and sings all the coloraturas clearly and powerful. I wish I also had her Elvira. :( But I would even say not "favorite" but standard, as I consider Donna Anna. Tomowa-Sintow and Nilsson impressed me more, though passages are not their strongest points. Sutherland, imho, sounds not as powerful as she usually does.

PS: I must confess that my main passion is music, so sometimes I'm critical to singers I like, and it doesn't mean I'm evil >:D it only means I don't like how they sing this particular role. And how it correlates with the music itself, if it fits or not.

Lilas Pastia

Callas' "Tutte le torture" is indeed hair raising and one of the very best I've heard. But check out the amazingly fiery Edda Moser and Leyla Gencer (the latter on youtube IIRC). Sizzling stuff from all three ladies.

BTW my favourite Annas are Margaret Price and Suzanne Danco. Totally different in every aspect, but utterly believable: vocally, dramatically, emotionally.

Tsaraslondon

Well the '55 La Scala Norma has arrived from www.divinarecords.com and I have to say it is worth every penny. The sound is an improvement even on the excellent version I had on the Arkadia label, and the presentation is exemplary in every way. If I have one criticism, it would be the division of the 2 discs. I would have thought it would have been better to finish Disc 1 with the first Norma/Adalgisa duet and then start Disc 2 from Norma's lines Ma di'. L'amato giovane. I think I'm right in thinking it wouldn't have made Disc 2 too long. That said, I am now tempted by some of their other releases. With results like this, they really are worth the extra outlay

Despite what certain members of this board seem to think, this performance is a reminder that Callas not only sang with great imagination, but often with great beauty of tone.

zamyrabyrd

More Maria... well, I can't get enough of her...just stumbled on this great site... comprehensive "performance annals and discography"...only 186 pages so far in what seems to be ongoing research...

http://www.frankhamilton.org/mc/c5.pdf
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on March 13, 2008, 09:12:56 PM
More Maria... well, I can't get enough of her...just stumbled on this great site... comprehensive "performance annals and discography"...only 186 pages so far in what seems to be ongoing research...

http://www.frankhamilton.org/mc/c5.pdf

Thanks, ZB. Looks like I have some reading ahead of me.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 14, 2008, 02:02:17 AM
Thanks, ZB. Looks like I have some reading ahead of me.

REALLY fascinating...from her earliest years...must be a labor of love...
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Wendell_E

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on March 14, 2008, 06:10:55 AM
REALLY fascinating...from her earliest years...must be a labor of love...

I came across that years ago.  I love how they even have her Public School performances in H. M. S. Pinafore (as Ralph!) and The Mikado.  If only pirates of those would turn up!   ;D  You almost expect to find every occasion on which she sang "Happy Birthday!"

The same site also has several other lists (by Composer, artists who sang with Callas, discographies) worth checking out:

http://www.frankhamilton.org/mc/index.html
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Lilas Pastia

Wow, thanks ZB. I merely scrolled and stopped here and there, and all kinds of fascinating details come up.

Like this Bocaccio performance (1941) in which Irma Kolassi also sang. Or a 1939 Oberon "Ocean Thou Mighty Monster" . She was to sing that in a late 1960s recital (in rather shaky voice). To think she actually knew the music for 30 years is astonishing and revelatory. I notice that a lot of the stuff she studied in De Hidalgo's classes were of the heavy kind, something quite unusual for a 16 or 17 year old (Norma, Aida for example :o)

Guido

Having never heard Callas before, I just impulse bought a 10 CD boxed set today "her greatest operas" for £8 (or US$16). A 10CD set of Lucia di Lammermoor, Norma, La Traviata, Tosca and Cavalleria Rusticana. Haven't heard any of these pieces before, and only really know 1 of the composers a little bit - Puccini. I am excited.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Guido on March 15, 2008, 09:18:43 AM
Having never heard Callas before, I just impulse bought a 10 CD boxed set today "her greatest operas" for £8 (or US$16). A 10CD set of Lucia di Lammermoor, Norma, La Traviata, Tosca and Cavalleria Rusticana. Haven't heard any of these pieces before, and only really know 1 of the composers a little bit - Puccini. I am excited.

Are these live or studio? Cavalleria Rusticana will be studio because there are no extant live recordings of her singing this opera, and she never performed it on stage again after her early days in Athens. Of the others, there are quite a few live performances of La Traviata, most of them preferable to the studio one she made for Cetra in 1952. Of the others, she made 2 studio recordings of each (all for EMI). The 1953 Tosca, conducted by Victor De Sabata is one of the great recordings of all time, whereas the later 1965 one (with Pretre) has little to commend it. The earlier versions of Lucia di Lammermoor and Norma find her in sovereign voice, though there is also a lot to be said for the later ones (especially the 1960 Norma). I wish you some happy listening. If indeed, it is the De Sabata Tosca in the box, might I suggest that you start with that.

Might I also make another suggestion? As a bargain box, it is quite likely that they don't come with libretti and translations. If not, I would try and get hold of them before listening. To get Callas, you really need to listen with libretto in hand, so that you understand the dramatic situation.

Guido

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 15, 2008, 09:41:18 AM
Are these live or studio? Cavalleria Rusticana will be studio because there are no extant live recordings of her singing this opera, and she never performed it on stage again after her early days in Athens. Of the others, there are quite a few live performances of La Traviata, most of them preferable to the studio one she made for Cetra in 1952. Of the others, she made 2 studio recordings of each (all for EMI). The 1953 Tosca, conducted by Victor De Sabata is one of the great recordings of all time, whereas the later 1965 one (with Pretre) has little to commend it. The earlier versions of Lucia di Lammermoor and Norma find her in sovereign voice, though there is also a lot to be said for the later ones (especially the 1960 Norma). I wish you some happy listening. If indeed, it is the De Sabata Tosca in the box, might I suggest that you start with that.

Might I also make another suggestion? As a bargain box, it is quite likely that they don't come with libretti and translations. If not, I would try and get hold of them before listening. To get Callas, you really need to listen with libretto in hand, so that you understand the dramatic situation.

Tosca is with de Sabata (1953)
La Traviata is with Giulini (1955)
Lucia is with Serafin (1953)
Norma is wirh Serafin (1954)
Cavalleria is with Serafin (1953)

Thanks for the advice - is there any place online that has these libretti?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

bricon

Quote from: Guido on March 15, 2008, 09:55:14 AMis there any place online that has these libretti?

Here are the libretti that you are after.

Except for the La Traviata libretto, these are the libretti that EMI supplied with earlier versions of the releases that you have in that box-set – the track cue points indicated in these libretti should coincide with the tracks on your CDs.

These are all .pdf files, they are able to be saved on your computer.

Tosca
La Traviata
Lucia di Lammermoor
Norma
Cavalleria Rusticana/Pagliacci

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Guido on March 15, 2008, 09:55:14 AM
Tosca is with de Sabata (1953)
La Traviata is with Giulini (1955)
Lucia is with Serafin (1953)
Norma is wirh Serafin (1954)
Cavalleria is with Serafin (1953)

Thanks for the advice - is there any place online that has these libretti?

All recorded before Callas's voice started to deteriorate, so you should be fine with these sets. Be warned, though, that the Traviata is live, and, as such, the sound is variable, with moments of distortion and overload. However, for such a performance, it's worth putting up with these faults in recording.

I see you have already been given advice as to where to find the libretti.