The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

I was wondering just now whether to suggest that we have a chat about how the chat about the chat was going, but then I thought, well, the chat about the chat never really did get going, did it? So there wouldn't be much to say. So I decided against it. But the thought is out there, now, and I feel better for it. Besides, I have other fish to fry.

So what's everyone else's take on the haddock issue?

Dana

I never really liked fish that much.

Dr. Dread

Where is that most elusive fish?  ???

karlhenning

. . . and it went . . . wherever I . . . did go.

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on July 01, 2009, 12:10:35 PM
Where is that most elusive fish?  ???

There are those who question whether it was really a fish at all. People, eh?

ChamberNut

Smells like fish.....

Cato

Quote from: Elgarian on June 30, 2009, 01:17:33 PM

So what's everyone else's take on the haddock issue?

Take some aspirin, if you have a haddock.   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Elgarian

Speaking of fish - has anyone ever eaten jellied eels? I tried some, once, sitting on a harbour wall by the sea. They were the most horrible things I've ever tried to eat. After one mouthful, everything about them screamed 'these will do you harm'. I was sitting there, wondering whether to abandon the attempt and throw them away, when suddenly a giant gull swooped down from the sky and snatched the whole bagful. I kid you not. It was a scary moment. I didn't know whether the laugh was on me, or the gull. After all, the poor devil presumably went away and ate the wretched things.

I suddenly wonder whether eels are fish. If they're not, then I have seriously sidetracked this thread.

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on July 02, 2009, 09:08:47 AM
Speaking of fish - has anyone ever eaten jellied eels?

Once in Estonia, I was served a dish which would quite closely answer to that description.

It must be an acquired taste.

I did not.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2009, 09:09:53 AM
Once in Estonia, I was served a dish which would quite closely answer to that description.

Was yours a gull-free experience, Karl?

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on July 02, 2009, 09:12:17 AM
Was yours a gull-free experience, Karl?

Oh, yes, we were indoors, late autumn.

No gulls were invited, nor came they unbidden.

Dr. Dread

I've always liked Marvin. Though I used to get him mixed up with Renfield for some reason.  :-\

mahler10th

:o

sorry, wrong thread...

:o :-[

Dr. Dread

Keep those smelly furballs outta here.  $:)

Elgarian

Quote from: John on July 02, 2009, 11:18:33 AM
sorry, wrong thread...

Strange. I felt sure it was the right one.

Dr. Dread

Tomorrow I will be living after midnight, rocking till the dawn, loving till the morning. Then I'm gone. I'm gone...

knight66

Well, John got to it first. The Chat thread and the Cat thread were next to one another and I clicked, but had to read to check which one I had entered. Well, those high temperatures of a couple of pages ago have climbed a bit. The underground rail system in London has been poleaxingly hot.

Saw Britten's Midsummer Night's  Dream last night, almost at the longest day over here. Boy, it was steaming up in those top seats.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on July 02, 2009, 12:08:20 PM
The underground rail system in London has been poleaxingly hot.

I believe you, Mike.

QuoteSaw Britten's Midsummer Night's  Dream last night, almost at the longest day over here. Boy, it was steaming up in those top seats.

I believe this too. Nice time to see it. Was it any good, or couldn't you see through the steam?

knight66

I have to admit, that I did not much enjoy the music in Act 1 or 2. Britten seems to have decided to forsake long breathed melody in favour for shimmering orchestral effects and fragmented tunes. There is almost nothing that could be extracted as an aria, most tunes were perhaps two bars long.

I enjoyed the production and the humour, especially in the last act. The playing was exceptionally good,the voices good, but not many words came across. For most of act 2, the four 'lovers' ran across the stage, on and off, run, stand sing 20 notes, run off. It became a visual tick.

I increasingly find it a pity that Britten decided to turn his back on the kind of opera he produced in Peter Grimes....too traditional.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.