The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: knight on July 02, 2009, 12:08:20 PM
Well, John got to it first. The Chat thread and the Cat thread were next to one another and I clicked

Mike

Coming soon: Le Fil du Chat Parlant!   $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on July 02, 2009, 12:27:23 PM
I have to admit, that I did not much enjoy the music in Act 1 or 2. Britten seems to have decided to forsake long breathed melody in favour for shimmering orchestral effects and fragmented tunes. There is almost nothing that could be extracted as an aria, most tunes were perhaps two bars long.

I enjoyed the production and the humour, especially in the last act. The playing was exceptionally good,the voices good, but not many words came across. For most of act 2, the four 'lovers' ran across the stage, on and off, run, stand sing 20 notes, run off. It became a visual tick.

I increasingly find it a pity that Britten decided to turn his back on the kind of opera he produced in Peter Grimes....too traditional.

Just be thankful you didn't get Wonder Woman and Superman turning up, as we did in a recent production of Seraglio. At least, it looked like Superman, but his costume was black, so some doubt remained about whether this was a genuine historically informed performance.

But that Mozart, eh? Way ahead of his time. Does anyone know which Mozart opera Batman appears in?

knight66

Quote from: Elgarian on July 02, 2009, 01:07:37 PM
But that Mozart, eh? Way ahead of his time. Does anyone know which Mozart opera Batman appears in?

The one where Elvira was sung by Mado Robin.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

knight66

I am gonna miss Mollie Sugden rather more than I will miss Michael Jackson.

Mike

karlhenning

Quote from: knight on July 02, 2009, 02:07:42 PM
I am gonna miss Mollie Sugden rather more than I will miss Michael Jackson.

You just wanna be startin' somethin'.

knight66

Sure, shall we try an Ikea flatpack desk....or how about a nice cake? You choose.

Mike

Lethevich

I have to admire the people in the crowd at Wimbledon who shout "COME ON ANDY" during a game featuring Andy Murray and Andy Roddick. That kind of oblivious self-confidence must be quite healthy. Thinking = stress.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on July 03, 2009, 07:13:05 AM
I have to admire the people in the crowd at Wimbledon who shout "COME ON ANDY" during a game featuring Andy Murray and Andy Roddick. That kind of oblivious self-confidence must be quite healthy. Thinking = stress.

Let's see if we can help them:

Come on Andy!
Come on Andy!

Or
Up with Andy! Down with Andy!

Lethevich

It's a shame they can't pronounce each one differently. Damn similarities of our dialects :(

Opus106

Facing my first w. classical burnout. Apart from the few times Bruckner's 9th played in my head -- only a for a few minutes at that, I've had virtually nothing else play in the past few days... although irritating, not-so-special popular tunes seem to have crept in. And I rarely play any CDs, also. I just played Mozart (the C minor -- C Minor! -- string quintet) and turned it off as soon as it started. Bartok seems more "comforting" in these times, though. (SQ4)

Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Overfamiliarity might be a factor - how about diving into the weird stuff?

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe on July 03, 2009, 07:55:43 AM
Overfamiliarity might be a factor - how about diving into the weird stuff?

Yes, that's where Bartok fits in. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

opus 106, sounds like you're ready for an "exploratory phase".  :)

Mozart will always be there to come back to.  0:)

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 03, 2009, 09:43:16 AM
opus 106, sounds like you're ready for an "exploratory phase".  :)

An exploratory phase in a new direction. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

I think I've discovered a solution to the problem of pesky listening piles. To force myself to listen to four discs I recently purchased but have yet to play, they are going to remain on my desk as a house for my egg timer until they are played and filed. This is both an inefficient use of space, looks stupid, and can result in them getting knocked on the floor by accident and perhaps requiring a case replacement. Good incentive so far, I'm going to play the Brian tomorrow...

Elgarian

That chicken looks very snug and cosy. I bet (s)he's enjoying the experiment.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lethe on July 03, 2009, 01:52:45 PM
I think I've discovered a solution to the problem of pesky listening piles. To force myself to listen to four discs I recently purchased but have yet to play, they are going to remain on my desk as a house for my egg timer until they are played and filed. This is both an inefficient use of space, looks stupid, and can result in them getting knocked on the floor by accident and perhaps requiring a case replacement. Good incentive so far, I'm going to play the Brian tomorrow...

Sara, that is hilarious!!  ;D ;D

You 'crack' me up.  :D

karlhenning

knight66

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 02, 2009, 07:09:19 PM
You just wanna be startin' somethin'.

Karl, By coincidence, today, I discovered that you were making an allusion to one of MJ's songs....my cultural education goes on apace, the allusion was lost on me, thus the non-sequiter of a reply.

What was lost on me has now been found...in a sense.

Mike

Henk

Harry (and others) are sensible enough to not join silly games like Classical Music Word Association Game.