The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Pah....reason I have not posted for a couple of days; I am off with Swine-flu. I was so bad yesterday morning, I could not manage the security code into my mobile phone in order to tell my boss.

Today, I am much better...but farrrrrr from well, so don't give me that excuse!

::)

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on August 04, 2009, 01:20:32 PM
Pah....reason I have not posted for a couple of days; I am off with Swine-flu.

Really? Oh gosh, how horrible. Hope you feel better soon.

And don't sneeze on the keyboard, or we'll all catch it.

DavidW

Mike just needs to visit down south here and learn how we speak round here.

Them's good eats!

Dr. Dread

I'm around here somewhere. Feel better, Mike; that's awful!

DavidW

Quote from: knight on August 04, 2009, 01:20:32 PM
Pah....reason I have not posted for a couple of days; I am off with Swine-flu. I was so bad yesterday morning, I could not manage the security code into my mobile phone in order to tell my boss.

Today, I am much better...but farrrrrr from well, so don't give me that excuse!

::)

Mike

Oops I missed that!  Get well man. :)

Elgarian

G'night all. I'm off for a dram of single malt cup of cocoa and an episode of Star Trek before bed.

knight66

Thanks guys; one good side effect is a weight loss of 8lbs in three days.

My son and his girlfriend have been through it, they live near Edinburgh. There seemingly people are expected to maintain quarantine and stay at home. Though, assuming you can guess the reason for such a dramatic weight loss; I would not dare to stray from the house even if I could.

Would them good eats be grits? Even the thought right now! Ugh. That DavidW has a cruel streak to him.

Mike

DavidW

I love grits! ;D

Well plop down with a nice Ian Rankin novel or some Bach Cantatas on the hifi and hours will pass like minutes, and you'll be right as rain. :)

knight66

Yesterday an entire series of The Sopranos passed before my eyes; but I do't recall much.

But food is now staying down.

Life will go on.

Mike the suffering  0:)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: knight on August 04, 2009, 02:06:19 PM
Yesterday an entire series of The Sopranos passed before my eyes; but I do't recall much.

But food is now staying down.

Life will go on.

Mike the suffering  0:)

Nice to hear you're on the mend Mike.  You're the first person I know to get a dose of the swine flu  :'(

We've had a few people off work with colds, probably sheer panic thinking its swine flu.  When you get flu, you know its flu, its a few days spark out, isn't it? 

I guess the Scots in you will get you up and about in no time, Ancestors from the Highlands wearing Kilts must breed immunity LOL  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

knight66

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on August 04, 2009, 02:20:53 PM

I guess the Scots in you will get you up and about in no time, Ancestors from the Highlands wearing Kilts must breed immunity LOL  ;D

Thanks Tony.

I have painted my bum blue to connect me to those tough clan members. I just knew it would help.

Mike

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: knight on August 04, 2009, 02:59:30 PM
Thanks Tony.

I have painted my bum blue to connect me to those tough clan members. I just knew it would help.

Mike

;D

How does the swine flu effect you or anyone going back to work?  Are you advised to stay off for a week, two weeks?  How long does one remain a 'carrier' of the virus, ie can you get yourself fit and still spread it unbeknowingly?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

karlhenning

QuoteIf you haven't seen Blue Man Group, you haven't seen Boston

DavidW

In Boston, everyone looks like Blue Man Group in the middle of winter! :D

karlhenning

Brian

Well gents, I'm off to meet my (past and future) college roommate down at San Antonio's River Walk ... he's in town for the day and we are going to have lunch and argue over who's bringing the microwave, to celebrate.  :)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2009, 05:55:11 AM
Well gents, I'm off to meet my (past and future) college roommate down at San Antonio's River Walk ... he's in town for the day and we are going to have lunch and argue over who's bringing the microwave, to celebrate.  :)

Have fun. Order a salad.  $:)

karlhenning

Bring along some wheat germ!

knight66

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on August 04, 2009, 03:17:37 PM
;D

How does the swine flu effect you or anyone going back to work?  Are you advised to stay off for a week, two weeks?  How long does one remain a 'carrier' of the virus, ie can you get yourself fit and still spread it unbeknowingly?

Tony, My understanding is that it takes up to four days to manifest itself and you are infectious for around five days. Recovery can be up to two weeks with a normally progressing dose. I had three bad days and my boss has told me I am not to turn up to work until next week at the earliest. I said I wanted to try to get in on Friday, but no dice.

I did not get the cough, my son, in Edinburgh, did. He is right in the target age range and he and his girlfriend came through it in six days.

It was quite nasty at its height and I don't feel great right now, but I will be fine. and all those I know who have had it have recovered well.

Some people can have it, be carriers, but never be aware they have the infection.

Of course, basically you self diagnose. I had a doctor's appointment for Tuesday, because I have had odd symptoms for over a week. I had not connected them to flu. When I phoned to say I could not and did not think it wise to come to the surgery, the receptionist simply said that she hoped I would pull through!

I did not bother phoning up the National Advice Line.....some of the staff are those from my own gov dept drafted in during the crisis; so I have no faith they know anything useful...read that how you may wish. But my wife did phone and if there are say 10 symptoms I had about half of them. So I hope that is it and that I don't catch it 'for real' further up the line.

Mike