The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: Opus106 on March 26, 2010, 03:47:54 AM
You had better put up an apology for referring to earlier posts of yours frequently.

I hereby apologise for every thing that I have done and have not done, in the past; for everything I may or may not do in the future; and for everything I am doing, and not doing at present (including making this apology).

Opus106

Quote from: Elgarian on March 26, 2010, 09:25:38 AM
I hereby apologise for every thing that I have done and have not done, in the past; for everything I may or may not do in the future; and for everything I am doing, and not doing at present (including making this apology).

And thus the vision is realised.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Now he cannot apologize for omitting any potential occasion for apology . . . of which he is the agent.

knight66

How about the things he might have done, may be doing or might do?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

karlhenning

Well, he might get around to apologizing, I suppose.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on March 26, 2010, 11:18:28 AM
How about the things he might have done, may be doing or might do?
I may have already apologised for those; or I may be apologising now for them; or I may apologise for them in the future.

Also, I apologise for all these things on behalf of all my ancestors, and on behalf of all my future descendants, and for any trouble that may have been or may be caused by any tortoises they have owned or may own.

[But it's all lies, I tell you. Lies!  I don't CARE about that bit about the tortoises. Not really. :P]

knight66

Yes, the tortoise bit did not have the ring of truth about it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

greg

I posted my signature as a status update on myspace... I have Meshuggah as a friend, and it'd be so awesome if they said they liked it... though professional artists have way too many friends to even see or comment on anything... maybe I'll comment their page...

MN Dave

Quote from: Greg on March 26, 2010, 03:02:38 PM
I posted my signature as a status update on myspace... I have Meshuggah as a friend, and it'd be so awesome if they said they liked it... though professional artists have way too many friends to even see or comment on anything... maybe I'll comment their page...

Also, they might not even be involved with their MySpace page.

greg

Quote from: MN Dave on March 26, 2010, 04:39:40 PM
Also, they might not even be involved with their MySpace page.
True... probably band managers or something usually deal with that stuff.
Sometimes band members have their own pages and write blogs... such as Mikael Åkerfeldt (which happen to be surprisingly entertaining, interesting, and charismatic (weird word choice, but whatever)).

karlhenning

I should like to apologize for the inadequacy of any previous apology.

greg

Finally thought of looking up a top-rated TV Series list:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/tvminiseries

I've never even heard of any of these shows at all, except for the #1 position- Band of Brothers. Averaging a 9.6 rating out of 71,000 votes is beyond impressive, I have to say... but, I'm completely cool with it being in first place. Although it's been awhile since I watched it and don't remember too much of it (I did watch the whole thing, though), it really was a great series. It deserves the high rating.

EDIT: These are only mini-series, though... i looked up 24 (score: 8.9) and Heroes (score: 8.4) and these weren't in the list since they don't include regular TV series. I can't find a list for top-rated TV series on that site, though.  :'(

EDIT 2: Looks like what is supposedly the top-rated TV show is Arrested Development- with a 9.7 average!!!  :o I thought it was a decent show, but really?...

(getting this info from a random place, though I still looked up the link to confirm it)

greg

Another list- top 100 classical works.

This one doesn't seem to be based on vote count, but it seems like one of the most reasonable lists I've come across.

QuoteCriteria: - Classical Music Works are ranked for their innovation and influence, as well as their aesthetic importance, historical significance and lasting popularity.
Thank you.
I don't like lists that appeal to newbies that list Pachelbel's Canon in the top 5 or something stupid like that.

Maybe it's because it has The Rite of Spring at #5 and Mahler's 9th at #6 that I like this list. However, even the ones that I would never choose in the top 10 seem perfectly reasonable to be in this list (Picture in an Exhibition being the only questionable one).

Top 10:
1. Symphony No. 9 "Choral" – Ludwig Van Beethoven

2. Mass In B Minor – Johann Sebastian Bach

3. Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" – Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky

4. Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter" – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

5. Rite Of Spring – Igor Stravinsky

6. Symphony No. 9 – Gustav Mahler

7. The Ring of the Nibelungs – Richard Wagner

8. Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" – Ludwig Van Beethoven

9. Pictures At An Exhibition – Modest Mussorgsky (orch. by Maurice Ravel)

10. Symphony No. 5 – Ludwig Van Beethoven

As much as I dislike the Beethoven 9th, it just seems reasonable to be #1 in any list. Just because.
And the Ring cycle definitely belongs on here...

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best-classic-wks.html

MN Dave

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 29, 2010, 06:15:31 AM
I should like to apologize for the inadequacy of any previous apology.
I suppose we must consider whether this apology is itself adequate?

karlhenning

Don't see how it could be, really.

greg

Myspace spam is starting to annoy me...
I got another strange message.

The first quoted text is what you see in the message:

QuoteHi, I am Ashley. Thanks for the add. Not sure if u checked out my page or not. but I looked at urs and was gonna ask if your with anybody right now. If no maybe youd want to meet up for dinner sometime or go out for drinks. I'm a pretty friendly girl! Let me know. Either way thx 4 the add. p.s I was gonna send u more pictures if u have an email address, just send it back to me. Talk 2 ya l8r.

The second is when I copied and pasted the message here. If you highlight the whole thing from the original message, you can see there is extremely small words inserted between some words- but after copy and paste, the words are normal size:

Hi, I am Ashley. Thanks edit for the add. Not axon sure if u checked nude out my page or jags not. but I looked at urs and was gonna ask if your with anybody right now. fley If no maybe youd gyri want to meet up for dinner sometime bake or moon go out for drinks. undo fief I'm a pretty friendly girl! Let me know. howe Either way thx bleb 4 bonk the add. p.s I meet was gonna send u haed more pictures if u have an email address, just send semi it back to me. Talk 2 ya l8r.

I just don't understand the point of this. I changed my status to "married" just now, so I wonder if that'll stop them.

MN Dave

"I hate music
Sometimes I don't
I hate music
It's got too many notes
Tommy said so"

--The Replacements "I Hate Music"

greg

Tommy must be retarded.