The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John on April 01, 2010, 10:09:47 AM
If I was in America, I would watch American Football and support THE GREEN BAY PACKERS, for no reason whatsoever.

May I suggest the Cleveland Browns instead? Brits admire heroic failures, right? (e.g., The Charge of the Light Brigade, Isandlwana, Dunkirk) and you can't have a team more familiar with failure than the Cleveland Browns. I gave up on them 50 years ago (while still in elementary school). They are a team you can count on, year after year.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on April 01, 2010, 12:03:57 PM
But we are both OK with that....well I have to be. There is so much I know nothing about. So I just wait it out politely on the sidelines.
Exactly so, Mike. But also, we take care when engaging in discussion within our own areas of expertise, do we not? I think we're both aware that if we were to discuss the snorkling of burgledingers too often (particularly those of the bliptonistic  formulation), we might seem to be flaunting our knowledge of bliptonism to an extent that could lay us open to the accusation of elitism. Neither of us would want that - even if it were a matter of considerable urgency that the burbledingers should be snorkled without delay.

karlhenning

Hear that on TV all the time — snorkel without delay!

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 01, 2010, 12:29:07 PM
Hear that on TV all the time — snorkel without delay!
Good advice is good advice, wherever you hear it.

karlhenning

Well, and the Firesign Theatre sez, Take your television's advice.

MN Dave

I just pretend to know what Mike's going on about.

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on April 01, 2010, 12:33:29 PM
Do you think we might all be pretending like that, about everybody? Spoofle burfish gloop?

knight66

Quote from: MN Dave on April 01, 2010, 12:33:29 PM

I knew that.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Szykneij

Quote from: knight on April 01, 2010, 09:19:26 AM
I am now so devastated, I am running that warm bath and stropping that razor.

Mike

I have never stropped a razor in my entire life. As a matter of fact, prior to this post, I have never even used "strop" in a sentence.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

knight66

In the circs., turning my razor on just would not get the job done.

Every day something new...that's my motto. I wonder what it will be for each of us today?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

mahler10th

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 01, 2010, 12:11:13 PM
May I suggest the Cleveland Browns instead? Brits admire heroic failures, right? (e.g., The Charge of the Light Brigade, Isandlwana, Dunkirk) and you can't have a team more familiar with failure than the Cleveland Browns. I gave up on them 50 years ago (while still in elementary school). They are a team you can count on, year after year.
Sarge

No.  The Cleveland Browns are not a team well enough equipped to win the Superbowl.  Also, I do not like the name 'Cleveland Browns'.  Bizzarely, I get images of minty-balls chefs running out to play ball when I think 'Cleveland Browns.'  ???

The Packers were the first team I ever heard of, and they STILL have the same name as they did when I was born.
Yep. 
I like the Green Bay PACKERS.  I don't know where Green Bay is, but I sure support it.  And whatever needs packed, I'll help them.   8)

MN Dave

Happy Friday. :)

How old is middle-aged?

Moldyoldie

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 01, 2010, 12:11:13 PM

Sarge
Uh, I'm not sure I'd deem them "heroic", but if we're talkin' 'bout abject failures...

Besides, the present Cleveland Browns are an expansion team, remember?
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Moldyoldie on April 02, 2010, 05:39:34 AM
Besides, the present Cleveland Browns are an expansion team, remember?

I know...but that's what adds to their mystic of failure: they are the historic team in name only. Cleveland couldn't hold on to the real thing  ;D

Sarge

Moldyoldie

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2010, 05:46:23 AM
I know...but that's what adds to their mystic of failure: they are the historic team in name only. Cleveland couldn't hold on to the real thing  ;D

Sarge
You can have a "mystique" of failure, or you can have the genuine article (Lions). ;D
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

mahler10th

Green Bays first pre-season game...
Aug. 12-16
CLEVELAND BROWNS (Gold pkg.)
Midwest Shrine Game
TV: WFRV/state

Ha!  Green Bay will kick Clevelands minty balls all over the field.
:D

mahler10th

Quote from: knight on April 01, 2010, 12:03:57 PM
So I just wait it out politely on the sidelines.
Mike

Yes, just as the Cleveland Browns coach will have to do in August when they are hammered by THE PACKERS.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John on April 02, 2010, 06:49:14 AM
Green Bays first pre-season game...
Aug. 12-16
CLEVELAND BROWNS (Gold pkg.)
Midwest Shrine Game
TV: WFRV/state

Ha!  Green Bay will kick Clevelands minty balls all over the field.
:D

Of course they will...that's what I keep telling ya  :D

Sarge