The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Ooo. And I got a bad charlie horse last night.  :'(

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on September 17, 2010, 04:29:09 AM
I'll wake up in the wee hours to pee and then my brain will kick in with story ideas or worries about work.  ;D

No, no, you've got to let those wee-hour trips be solely about the restoration of comfort. Keep that brain good and shut down.

karlhenning

Quote from: Corey on September 17, 2010, 04:35:58 AM
I usually drink a big cup of Greek mountain tea about 30 minutes before sleep.

Ironwort, eh? Hadn't heard of it before.  Chamomile is always good before bed-time.  Or mint.

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2010, 04:55:14 AM
No, no, you've got to let those wee-hour trips be solely about the restoration of comfort. Keep that brain good and shut down.

Yeah, that's how it used to be.

Benji

Quote from: Lethe on September 16, 2010, 04:43:02 PM
I ocasionally see British posters browsing here during the small hours, but do any of you have actual sleeping problems? If so, have you found any methods to deal with it? (An open question to anyone.)

I've tried a lot of suggestions - avoiding electronic media for an hour before sleeping (so the brain calms down), exercising to tire myself out - but generally they haven't worked.

I just don't need much sleep. I tend to sleep 2am-9am weekdays, 4-12 weekends.

Reading in bed usually puts me to sleep. Buy yourself a book of short stories (I only tend to read sci-fi so there's endless choice of short stories) and try to read a story before sleep - the key benefit of the short story over a novel being that even if you get totally engrossed you won't need to force yourself awake to keep reading chapter after chapter...  :)

MN Dave

Yes, reading helps and do at least an hour of it before sleep.

karlhenning

I used to read at bedtime practically every day. Haven't done so for . . . many years.

Lethevich

I've been going through Terry Pratchett's books before sleeping for the past half year or so - I find them useful because they have no chapters, so you can end at a scene change of your choice.

It feels nice to wind down, but it hasn't had any noticable impact on my sleep. I'll still keep doing it, though, as it's relaxing - maybe eventually I will notice a difference :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2010, 05:06:01 AM
I used to read at bedtime practically every day. Haven't done so for . . . many years.

I'm either reading, or working on a crossword or sudoku before bedtime.

CD

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2010, 04:56:38 AM
Ironwort, eh? Hadn't heard of it before.  Chamomile is always good before bed-time.  Or mint.

It's very unique — has a great subtle musky flavor. Nothing else quite like it. I buy it from this place in town called TeaGschwendner, which is pretty much the best tea shop I've been to.

MN Dave

karlhenning

MN Dave

Thanks. Had a peanut butter cupcake for breakfast.

Brian

I love being on the MusicWeb email list. Every so often Len Mullenger, the Publisher/Boss, sends these funny emails saying things like "I have found a free site which shows the speeds your neigbours are getting for broadband. Mine is 6.99Mbps which is fastest around me     Regards     Len"

Benji

Quote from: MN Dave on October 01, 2010, 07:02:43 AM
Thanks. Had a peanut butter cupcake for breakfast.

Peanuts are one of your five a day. Have another 4 muffins, stat.

MN Dave

Quote from: Benji on October 01, 2010, 08:17:30 AM
Peanuts are one of your five a day. Have another 4 muffins, stat.

Since I'm going out tonight and will probably consume a birthday martini, I will say no to more cupcakeage.  ;D

greg

I just have to share this:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Norway

QuoteThere are rumours that weather may play a part in the game, as the player may freeze to death if he stays outside too long.
QuoteThere are some interesting spins on the game play though that are based on Norwegian culture and society. First, when selling drugs the police does nothing, but buying prostitutes gives you instant 4 stars. The cops in the game does not wear guns until 5 stars and if you get arrested by them nothing happens. When you go to the hospital you don't lose any money but you only get half health.
Wow.  :D

Benji

That uncylopedia *waves fist* I was reading an article on Joe Pesci, thinking it was Wikipedia and being shocked that someone so actually violent could be allowed to make films... took a while to click it was kidding on that his many film roles were documentaries or something. Doh.

My favourite entry is that for geologist, mostly because I know for fact that it's all so so true. This is particularly true:

There is a considerable, and still growing body of scientific literature that suggests that geologists are in fact the world's first alcohol-based life form. Owing to a crucial imbalance in blood electrolyte levels (possibly caused by overexposure to bad rock puns) most find it necessary to imbibe vast quantities of alcoholic beverages at every opportunity. If you ever encounter a geologist who is sober after 6pm, this person is an imposter: possibly an alien; probably a geophysicist or engineer, marine geographer or hydrologist etc.

Most likely a bloody geophys *tut*

Brahmsian

Today (in most parts of the world) is 10/10/10  Is this supposed to be the 'new' Apocalypse?  ;D

Elgarian

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 10, 2010, 07:55:56 AM
Today (in most parts of the world) is 10/10/10  Is this supposed to be the 'new' Apocalypse?  ;D

I think it probably is. Reading 10 in binary, this translates to 2/2/2. Three twos are six. And three sixes are 666. Need I say more?