The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on November 09, 2010, 07:31:13 AM
I feel like they're a weight around my neck, stopping me from being able to move somewhere more exciting at a moment's notice.  :o

Is there some place you'd rather be? :D

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on November 09, 2010, 08:07:02 AM
Is there some place you'd rather be? :D

Edinburgh is an amazing, beautiful place to live and my home in this country as long as i'm here.... but yeah, I want to live somewhere else for a time. I've visited Hong Kong for 10 days in 2008 and New York for a week last year. Those are just two places i'd love to spend a whole year at least. I want to experience a place, not just visit, and that takes time.

I'm looking at teaching English as a foreign language abroad. That might allow me to live somewhere interesting for an extended period, maybe even HK!

DavidW

Benji

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on November 09, 2010, 08:20:56 AM
First step: learn English :P

Nah not needed, just make it up as you go along!  That's what I do when I teach:

"alright students, today we will learn Newton's 4th law: how to time travel..." ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Benji on November 09, 2010, 08:20:56 AM
First step: learn English :P

That explains the current absorption with Copland songs, je-je-je! ; )

greg

You know what's cool? Depressing the sustain pedal of a piano forcefully (without hitting a note), which lets out a very quiet, distant-sounding gigantic tone cluster while at the same time playing an innocent-sounding, one-voice melodic line in C Lydian in a high register. Very ethereal.

Benji

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 09, 2010, 09:05:34 AM
That explains the current absorption with Copland songs, je-je-je! ; )

;)

Benji

Quote from: Greg on November 10, 2010, 03:56:27 PM
You know what's cool? Depressing the sustain pedal of a piano forcefully (without hitting a note), which lets out a very quiet, distant-sounding gigantic tone cluster while at the same time playing an innocent-sounding, one-voice melodic line in C Lydian in a high register. Very ethereal.

Record it?  :)

greg

Quote from: Benji on November 10, 2010, 04:07:59 PM
Record it?  :)
I don't exactly have anything to record with.

Benji

Quote from: Greg on November 10, 2010, 06:50:15 PM
I don't exactly have anything to record with.

In this day and age?! My smartphone (cell phone!) has a record function, as did every phone i've had for the last ten years come to think of it.

I'm sure you can find something  ;)

DavidW

Well my cheap as dirt prepaid phone can't record so there! ;D

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on November 11, 2010, 05:22:22 AM
Well my cheap as dirt prepaid phone can't record so there! ;D

But I imagined you to have some ultra-modded smartphone running some obscure custom build of symbian or android ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on November 11, 2010, 07:29:43 AM
But I imagined you to have some ultra-modded smartphone running some obscure custom build of symbian or android ;)

I'm always the last person to jump on new tech! :D  I didn't even start using cell phones until 2007. ;D

greg

Quote from: DavidW on November 11, 2010, 08:03:37 AM
I'm always the last person to jump on new tech! :D  I didn't even start using cell phones until 2007. ;D
Me, too.
My mp3 players might work (can't figure out how to do it on my phone)... of course, I'd be surprised if it even picks up such a subtle sound...

Scarpia

Quote from: Greg on November 11, 2010, 10:15:24 AM
Me, too.
My mp3 players might work (can't figure out how to do it on my phone)... of course, I'd be surprised if it even picks up such a subtle sound...

What's the purpose of recording it, anyone who has had contact with a piano has heard it already.

Benji

Quote from: Scarpia on November 11, 2010, 10:21:11 AM
What's the purpose of recording it, anyone who has had contact with a piano has heard it already.

*Raises hand meekly*  :-[

...well, not in a long time anyway.

PaulR

I can't wait until applications are done.....then I can start worrying about things that are out of my control.

greg

I just contacted a friend who I haven't seen in over 6 years on facebook and he just replied.  :D
Really, really strange... and I'm thinking about contacting someone I haven't spoken to in 10 years!  :o

For some reason, I feel nervous thinking about it. Probably looking at my old friends' profiles without talking to them doesn't help. I feel like a stalker.  :D

greg

Today, I had a little girl who appeared to be only about 9 years old tell me I was cute. That was embarrassing...  :-[