The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

One college choice down.....3 to go.....Hopefully I'll receive better news from the other ones!
(I didn't expect them to accept me anyways.  Not that I doubt my abilities, but more that they only select a few to interview)

knight66

Keep us up with it. When will it have to be decided by, one way or another?

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

PaulR

Hopefully by the end of March.  My last interview is Feb. 26 at Bowling Green State University, and well, my first interview is the week before at Cincinatti.  Strangely enough, McGill doesn't require an interview, just 2 papers.   I probably should have set myself up with more "safety schools"......but I'll see what happens!

knight66

Over a month of stretched nerves......more than long enough.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Opus106

A "description" of a new CD containing Mozart's piano sonatas:

World-renowned pianist Maria Joao Pires performs Mozart's 10th, 11th, 12th and 14th sonata at super-budget price.

::)

I wonder if the person who wrote that was working at newspaper publisher previously, and a bad one at that.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Speaking of hyperbole, I just encountered this gem on a blog which I generally very much enjoy:

"It is possible to argue that the Glasgow-born Erik Chisholm is one of the leading twentieth-century composers: not only in Scotland but in the United Kingdom and worldwide."

It then continues in this untenable vein:

"The present CD showcases two important ballet scores from the nineteen-forties. One is a major work that ranks beside Sir Arthur Bliss, Constant Lambert, Lord Berners and perhaps even Igor Stravinsky himself."

;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

CD

Ah yes, of course... that guy.

Brian

iTunes is a creepy program.

Case in point: there is a feature called "Shared Libraries." I am sitting in a reading room in the British Library, and upon opening iTunes was immediately greeted with a list of other iTunes users within range - this even though I had not connected to any wireless networks! I clicked on the library belonging to "Louisa Y----" (last name really appears on my screen), browsed through her collection, and discovered that she has a wonderful Jordi Savall album. I opened another library and discovered Bach violin concertos with Jaime Laredo and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Naturally, I now want to find out if somebody else can listen to the stuff in my library. But I cannot figure out how to do this. I have "Home Sharing" turned off, but of course am not at home. This is creepy. Right now there are seven iTunes libraries getting picked up by my computer, and one of them is password-protected but the others are free and open. Louisa, if you're reading this, it's a good thing I'm in a mood for Atterberg because otherwise I would be enjoying your music and wondering just who the heck you are. Even without listening to your music, I can tell from your playlists that you love the poetry of Rumi, enjoy watching TED Talks, and have previously attended, or are currently attending one of, Stanford and Texas A&M Universities.

karlhenning

No Fruit for me, thanks!

The Diner

Quote from: Brian on January 24, 2011, 06:38:49 AM

Case in point: there is a feature called "Shared Libraries." I am sitting in a reading room in the British Library, and upon opening iTunes was immediately greeted with a list of other iTunes users within range - this even though I had not connected to any wireless networks! I clicked on the library belonging to "Louisa Y----" (last name really appears on my screen), browsed through her collection, and discovered that she has a wonderful Jordi Savall album. I opened another library and discovered Bach violin concertos with Jaime Laredo and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Naturally, I now want to find out if somebody else can listen to the stuff in my library. But I cannot figure out how to do this. I have "Home Sharing" turned off, but of course am not at home. This is creepy. Right now there are seven iTunes libraries getting picked up by my computer, and one of them is password-protected but the others are free and open. Louisa, if you're reading this, it's a good thing I'm in a mood for Atterberg because otherwise I would be enjoying your music and wondering just who the heck you are. Even without listening to your music, I can tell from your playlists that you love the poetry of Rumi, enjoy watching TED Talks, and have previously attended, or are currently attending one of, Stanford and Texas A&M Universities.

Hm. Can you play anything from these other libraries, or is it just showing them to you?

mahler10th

Quote from: Lethe on January 17, 2011, 03:59:38 PM
Speaking of hyperbole, I just encountered this gem on a blog which I generally very much enjoy:
"It is possible to argue that the Glasgow-born Erik Chisholm is one of the leading twentieth-century composers: not only in Scotland but in the United Kingdom and worldwide."
It then continues in this untenable vein:
"The present CD showcases two important ballet scores from the nineteen-forties. One is a major work that ranks beside Sir Arthur Bliss, Constant Lambert, Lord Berners and perhaps even Igor Stravinsky himself."
;D

Hyperbole indeed.  I LIVE in Glasgow, I am a Glaswegian, I was born here, I am heavily into Classicasl Music but I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS FELLOW.  Amazing the sh*! that gets talked just to sell CD's.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Greg on January 06, 2011, 06:18:59 PM
I need advice/ideas... please.

This guy (customer at the store) was talking to me for about 10 minutes the day before yesterday. He seems a bit strange... to make it short, clearly he isn't gay or anything but he ended up asking for my cell phone number, and I gave it to him.  :-X (I think he just wants a friend or something.)

I've gotten two calls now from an unknown number, and I think it's him. I really don't feel like hanging out with more people, much less someone who I only talked to ten minutes! In fact, I'm trying to limit my time I'm spending with my friend right now, because with his license suspended he's stuck at home and always wanting to do something.  ::) In a way, besides my part-time job, I have one that is full-time (if I want to make it that way) so it's not a good idea spending so much time hanging out with people.

What should I do? My best idea is to not answer the phone when I see that number, and if he ends up coming through my line again and talks to me, I should tell him that I was busy and that I actually work on the computer for a second job (he asked me what I do in my free time and I said I go on the computer).

Good idea or no?
With all the crazies out there, I personally would be careful about who I gave my number to. You know absolutely nothing about him. He may be a nice guy and harmless or he could be a psycho or a thief. In future, you could say something like you don't mix business with your personal life and not give out the number. There are probably other, similar ways.

What you tell him to get rid of him is up to you, however, the more true info you give about yourself, the higher the risk if he is anything but someone looking for attention. So unless you want to invite him into your life, why tell him anything more about yourself? It is not rude to tell him you don't have the time and it just happens to be the truth!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

greg

Quote from: ukrneal on January 24, 2011, 10:29:10 AM
With all the crazies out there, I personally would be careful about who I gave my number to. You know absolutely nothing about him. He may be a nice guy and harmless or he could be a psycho or a thief. In future, you could say something like you don't mix business with your personal life and not give out the number. There are probably other, similar ways.

What you tell him to get rid of him is up to you, however, the more true info you give about yourself, the higher the risk if he is anything but someone looking for attention. So unless you want to invite him into your life, why tell him anything more about yourself? It is not rude to tell him you don't have the time and it just happens to be the truth!
Yes, true, thank you.
Luckily, I haven't seen him after not answering those two phone calls.

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 24, 2011, 07:57:42 AM
Hm. Can you play anything from these other libraries, or is it just showing them to you?

It's all playable. You can't copy and paste it onto your own computer, but you can play it. Um... that's how I discovered I really like Arcade Fire.

The Diner

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2011, 11:49:29 AM
It's all playable. You can't copy and paste it onto your own computer, but you can play it. Um... that's how I discovered I really like Arcade Fire.

You're right. That is creepy, if it's a privilege for which you never signed on.

The Diner

Brian, does that have to do with Ping, or whatever it's called? I don't mess with that...

greg

Awesome Google translate sentence:
QuoteYou can also penetrate the 500-yen coin table was also done

Brian

Quote from: mn dave on January 25, 2011, 11:56:50 AM
Brian, does that have to do with Ping, or whatever it's called? I don't mess with that...

Not sure what that is  :-X

Scarpia

Quote from: mn dave on January 25, 2011, 11:52:16 AM
You're right. That is creepy, if it's a privilege for which you never signed on.

Presumably making your library visible to others is something that can be selected or not in a configuration dialog, somewhere.

Brahmsian

We got another 15 cm of snow today.  The wet and heavy stuff too.  Running out of room in our yard to shovel the damn stuff!  ???