The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: paulrbass on March 02, 2011, 03:16:02 PM
So....it looks like I got into one of the schools I applied to!  So, that's a plus.

But that now leaves me with another problem!  I need to find a different piece to work on than Kol Nidrei!  Thankfully I have a decent selection to pick from.  I probably could pick up the Arpeggione Sonata, but I am liking the Misek Sonata #2.  So there's the problem!

Still, it's a good problem to have.   8)

Big plus, congratulations.  Where were you accepted?

PaulR

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 02, 2011, 03:23:31 PM
Big plus, congratulations.  Where were you accepted?
Bowling Green State University.  The music history teacher at my undergraduate school (SUNY Fredonia) suggested it when I e-mailed him during the summer.  Visited there twice, and like the feel of the campus.  So, it's something to look forward to.

I didn't technically get in yet, have to be accepted by the graduate school part.  But I see no reason for them to reject me.   Good GPA, decent GRE scores (and an improved GRE scores over the last time I took them.)

Lethevich

In German, what is the difference between the spellings of fantasiestücke and phantasiestücke? Schumann's Op.73 seems to be spelt both ways.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: paulrbass on March 02, 2011, 03:33:20 PM
Bowling Green State University.  The music history teacher at my undergraduate school (SUNY Fredonia) suggested it when I e-mailed him during the summer.  Visited there twice, and like the feel of the campus.  So, it's something to look forward to.

I didn't technically get in yet, have to be accepted by the graduate school part.  But I see no reason for them to reject me.   Good GPA, decent GRE scores (and an improved GRE scores over the last time I took them.)
Nice job, man!  :)
My parents went to Bowling Green that one time they went to Kentucky when I didn't come along... they said the music store was great, and they have pictures of them playing all the guitars. I have the impression that it is a pretty musical area over there.

PaulR

Quote from: Greg on March 04, 2011, 07:53:15 AM
Nice job, man!  :)
My parents went to Bowling Green that one time they went to Kentucky when I didn't come along... they said the music store was great, and they have pictures of them playing all the guitars. I have the impression that it is a pretty musical area over there.
Thanks!
Though, BGSU is in Bowling Green, Ohio.  There is an university in Bowling Green, Kentucky as well, but never been there.

Lethevich

I saw the sun shining brightly on a brick wall and noticed how much I could see and thought "wow, that is high resolution" before I could stop myself. Computers are ruining me ;_:

Szykneij

Last night I was rearranging my album shelves and dropped my entire David Ositrakh vinyl collection on my foot. Not only do I have more of his recordings than any other violinist, but those old Melodiya records are as heavy as bowling balls. Perlman or Szigeti would have been much less painful.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Opus106

Quote from: Szykneij on March 13, 2011, 02:35:27 PM
Last night I was rearranging my album shelves and dropped my entire David Ositrakh vinyl collection on my foot. Not only do I have more of his recordings than any other violinist, but those old Melodiya records are as heavy as bowling balls. Perlman or Szigeti would have been much less painful.

First things first: are the discs all right?
Regards,
Navneeth

Szykneij

Quote from: Opus106 on March 13, 2011, 07:54:29 PM
First things first: are the discs all right?

Yes, my foot sufficiently cushioned the fall.   :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Opus106

Quote from: Szykneij on March 14, 2011, 02:03:32 AM
Yes, my foot sufficiently cushioned the fall.   :)

Phew. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Philoctetes

Quote from: Apollon on February 22, 2011, 07:20:52 AM
Dave has long been back. I cannot answer for Philo.

I'm around, but my interests have been drawn elsewhere.

PaulR

Quote from: paulrbass on March 02, 2011, 03:33:20 PM

It's official, I got in.   8)
Still waiting to hear from University of Cincinnati, though. 

karlhenning

Congrats! And good luck with Cinci, too!

PaulR

Quote from: Apollon on March 19, 2011, 05:11:09 PM
Congrats! And good luck with Cinci, too!
Thanks! 
I am not too optimistic about Cinci, though, mainly due to the fact they only accept 4 people a year (apparently, there was 18 applicants.  so, I have roughly a 22% chance of being one of those 4).  But I put did my best at the interview (except for one question "Why do you want to go to UC?".  I rambled nonsense that I tried to make sound like a valid reason.  Caught me of guard a bit I think).  So, what happens will happen.

PaulR

Quote from: paulrbass on March 19, 2011, 05:21:29 PM
Thanks! 
I am not too optimistic about Cinci, though, mainly due to the fact they only accept 4 people a year (apparently, there was 18 applicants.  so, I have roughly a 22% chance of being one of those 4).  But I put did my best at the interview (except for one question "Why do you want to go to UC?".  I rambled nonsense that I tried to make sound like a valid reason.  Caught me of guard a bit I think).  So, what happens will happen.
Heard back from UC (the postal service sent it to the wrong place, just got it now.).  Didn't get in, but wasn't really expecting to.  At least I tried.

Szykneij

Quote from: paulrbass on March 19, 2011, 12:10:33 PM
It's official, I got in.   8)

Congratulations, Paul! I just checked out your YouTube clips and I really liked the Weinberg selections. I always found thumb position particularly challenging, so I can appreciate the difficulty of that piece. Are you pursuing a performance route in your future studies or another area of specialization?

PaulR

Quote from: Szykneij on March 21, 2011, 04:02:21 PM
Congratulations, Paul! I just checked out your YouTube clips and I really liked the Weinberg selections. I always found thumb position particularly challenging, so I can appreciate the difficulty of that piece. Are you pursuing a performance route in your future studies or another area of specialization?
thanks! 
I am pursuing music history/musicology for my graduate studies, and possibly going on for a PhD.  But I also want to take lessons while at Bowling Green. 
I was originally going to do 3 movements of the piece. The third, Fourth (the two I did), and the 5th.  The 5th wasn't terribly hard for the most part, but it just didn't come together.  The main difficulty of the 5th mov. was the shifting from first position F, all the way to a double stop of harmonic d on the g string, and B on the d string.  I probably will try to play that movement on a further date, along with the 2nd.
Thanks for looking at the videos.

Lethevich

The national census form:

"If not, go to question 43"

Question 43: "There are no more questions"

I am being deadpanned by a piece of paper :(

Brian

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 26, 2011, 07:48:42 AM
The national census form:

"If not, go to question 43"

Question 43: "There are no more questions"

I am being deadpanned by a piece of paper :(

Hah!