The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Père Malfait

Lee T. Nunley, MA, PMP, CSM
Organist, Harpsichordist, Musicologist, Project Manager

DavidW

Stupid question for the older people... if people didn't have vcrs in the 60s then how do these tv broadcasts end up on youtube, who recorded them?

http://www.youtube.com/v/6cYdH46HqpE I was just thinking that while listening. :)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2011, 06:54:41 AM
Well you might be surprised... alot of businesses have legacy code and it's much easier and cheaper to keep modifying that instead of replacing it wholesale with the current languages.  Even fortran is still used extensively today since so much engineering projects were done using it back in the day. :)
Yeah, there's that. Doing a search of either those 2 or Fortran, there are a handful of jobs online- but they're very rare. I've never accidentally stumbled on one of them.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2011, 12:29:30 PM
Stupid question for the older people... if people didn't have vcrs in the 60s then how do these tv broadcasts end up on youtube, who recorded them?

http://www.youtube.com/v/6cYdH46HqpE I was just thinking that while listening. :)

Well, there were video recorders. They were like computers; big as houses! VCR, remember is Video Cassette Recorder. The old ones were giant reel-to-reel tapes, like Stewie's music collection! It was the combination of spinning heads and cassettes that came along in the late 70's to make home video recorders possible.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 23, 2011, 02:56:41 PM
Well, there were video recorders. They were like computers; big as houses! VCR, remember is Video Cassette Recorder. The old ones were giant reel-to-reel tapes, like Stewie's music collection! It was the combination of spinning heads and cassettes that came along in the late 70's to make home video recorders possible.  :)

8)

wow that's crazy! :o  Probably only the well off could afford them?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2011, 03:04:38 PM
wow that's crazy! :o  Probably only the well off could afford them?

You mean the home versions? My roommate and I had them in 1980. We paid around $600 each. IIRC< they were Panasonic's. :)

The older ones, of course, only TV studios had them. :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ensemble Baroque de Limoges / Quattuor Mosaiques - Hob 07h 01 Concerto #1 in C for 2 Lyra Organizatta 3rd mvmt - Finale: Allegro con brio

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 23, 2011, 03:07:54 PM
You mean the home versions? My roommate and I had them in 1980. We paid around $600 each. IIRC< they were Panasonic's. :)

Really?  Why didn't you just buy a vcr? :D

DavidW

Leon, I never thought of museums having tv reels... but that makes they are now a part of our history and culture. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2011, 03:12:33 PM
Really?  Why didn't you just buy a vcr? :D

Umm, we did. They were $600+ each... :)

They had only been on the market for less than a year. The entire concept of being able to set a timer to tape a show and watch it later while blipping out commercials took some serious getting used to!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ensemble Baroque de Limoges / Quattuor Mosaiques - Hob 07h 01 Concerto #1 in C for 2 Lyra Organizatta 3rd mvmt - Finale: Allegro con brio

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 23, 2011, 03:55:26 PM
Umm, we did. They were $600+ each... :)

They had only been on the market for less than a year. The entire concept of being able to set a timer to tape a show and watch it later while blipping out commercials took some serious getting used to!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Oh I misread you... I thought you meant you bought one of those huge video recorders! :D  What can I say? it was before dinner. :-[

PaulR

Today was a good day, had a pretty good exercise session, and my new computer came :)  I am happy :)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: paulrbass on June 24, 2011, 01:37:39 PM
Today was a good day, had a pretty good exercise session, and my new computer came :)  I am happy :)
:)

Lethevich

Quote from: manangel"Lossless" formats are 50-60% compressed relatively to the original, which would be no problem if someone had to deal with data files, but when it comes to music (= Art), and especially to classical music, this implicates a certain amount of quality degradation.

Whenever I encounter this guy on Demonoid I want to shove my face through a window :-\

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Jay F

Lethevich

That low dork score :o We have a social Alpha in our midst ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 27, 2011, 04:54:56 PM
That low dork score :o We have a social Alpha in our midst ;D

He can buy beer for us.

eyeresist

Just took the nerd test:
Carl Sagan questions made me laugh.
Question on DVD sets owned reffed "mainstream" nerd hits, but not a lot of the stuff I own (e.g. Spaced, Blade, Dead Like Me, anime).
I care that my socks have holes!

Let me tell ya, the REAL nerd test would be about more than superheroes and computers.

NerdTests.com says I'm a Cool Nerd.  Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

DavidW

Oh Dead Like Me... awesome! :)

eyeresist

You are a person of taste and intelligence. Good looking, too!

knight66

How so? Will this be a temporary hiatus?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.