The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2011, 05:02:54 AM
Pity. I really do prefer my simple, manual can-opener.

Your simple, manual, unaggregated can-opener.

PaulR

As an aside, it's going to be strange becoming a grad student.  From 18+ credits, to only 8.  From 8 AM classes, to 4:30, or 6:00 classes.   

(I also never got a scholarship to play in the orchestra before :D)

I think people will think I am crazy for wanting to learn both Russian and German.  :D

karlhenning

Not a bit of it, they're both languages whose literature is rich.

I think people who don't want to study a foreign language in depth, are crazy.

PaulR

yeah, true :)

But it's also more of what I'll use for my hopeful profession.  Since I am a music history major/master (What's the term for the discipline one studies as a grad student?), German would be extremely useful as a base language.  For my interests in music, Russian would be extremely useful as well. 

karlhenning

Both languages have declining nouns, so grammatically, you'll have synergies in your favor.  A good deal of work cut out for you, but I speak as one who has found the work put into learning foreign languages most rewarding.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: paulrbass on August 19, 2011, 05:31:48 AM

I think people will think I am crazy for wanting to learn both Russian and German.  :D

Hey, if I did it, so can you  :)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Coco

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2011, 05:01:45 AM
Success to you! Don't hesitate to sling the odd question, if I may be of any service.

Of course. And thank you. :)

Quote from: Leon on August 19, 2011, 05:55:25 AM
Good for you! 

I am having to delay my start at doing more work on my masters - which is a drag, but it will be much better next year when my schedule will be a bit saner.   Trying to do it right now would mean not doing it with the kind of attention I would hope to bring to the study.

Good luck to you, and keep us informed of what your working on.

:)

Thank you. I'll be 30 by the time I have even a Bachelor's, but I don't care. :D Hopefully I won't be as old as Havergal Brian was when people actually started listening to his music. ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Coco on August 19, 2011, 06:06:01 AM
Thank you. I'll be 30 by the time I have even a Bachelor's, but I don't care. :D

Nor should you!  I was "slow" to get on the academical track, and took a year off mid-process here and there.  It shouldn't be a cookie-cutter!

Coco

Quote from: paulrbass on August 19, 2011, 05:31:48 AM

I want to study both Chinese and German, so I sympathize. Unfortunately, my college doesn't have any German courses, but the Goethe Institute here does.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2011, 06:08:25 AM
Nor should you!  I was "slow" to get on the academical track, and took a year off mid-process here and there.  It shouldn't be a cookie-cutter!

True, that. And most artists don't hit their stride until their 50s anyway.

karlhenning

The Goethe Institute is a fabulous cultural resource!

karlhenning

Quote from: Leon on August 19, 2011, 06:14:57 AM
Not to brag   ::)  but I am twice your age.   :D   Yep, I'll be 60 in December.  And yet, I have the temerity to go back to school.   :P

Don't ever let anyone make you feel as if you are too old for something.

;)

Good on you, Leon! I am honored to know you (if this be knowing : )

Szykneij

Quote from: Leon on August 19, 2011, 06:14:57 AM
Not to brag   ::)  but I am twice your age.   :D   Yep, I'll be 60 in December.  And yet, I have the temerity to go back to school.   :P

Don't ever let anyone make you feel as if you are too old for something.

;)

Way to go, Leon! I got my Bachelors at 22, but didn't get my Masters until I was 47. I'm certain the life experience and maturity I gained in the intervening years made the program more meaningful and useful to me than it was for those who started right after receiving their undergrads. I know if I could start a Bachelors program over again right now, I'd do a lot better than when I was much younger.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Elgarian

Quote from: Renfield on August 19, 2011, 05:07:11 AM
Your simple, manual, unaggregated can-opener.

Do they still make those, in these post-aggregated times?

karlhenning

Unreconstructedly unaggregated, indeed.

Renfield

Quote from: Elgarian on August 19, 2011, 10:53:57 AM
Do they still make those, in these post-aggregated times?

They do: it's very retro.

Elgarian

Quote from: Renfield on August 19, 2011, 11:28:56 AM
They do: it's very retro.

Let's follow this though logically then. It seems that what we used to think of as a set of kitchen utensils 50 years ago would today be an aggregate. That represents 300% linear aggregation in terms of word size since 1961. No wonder Sara was upset.

karlhenning

I don't want an electric garlic press, either. NIMK

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2011, 11:48:24 AM
I don't want an electric garlic press, either. NIMK

But, but ... how do you aggregate your garlic, then?

Brian

I only have 36 more hours in England. So my blog is beginning a final countdown of sorts...

Favorite London Food Haunts: Nos 10-6
Favorite London Food Haunts: No 5

Look for Nos 4 and 3 tomorrow, No 2 early Sunday morning, and No 1 on Monday after I've returned to the States.

:)

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on August 19, 2011, 02:16:09 PM
I only have 36 more hours in England.

Now here's a strange thing. As I read that, I felt an instant pang of sadness - that even though I've never met you, we'd shortly be the poorer for your absence.