The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

I suppose a composer's drug would be opium?... (because of Berlioz?)
Does anyone even use opium anymore?

karlhenning

Afghanistan has been in robust opium production since the ouster of the Taliban (talk of "unintended consequences").

Mn Dave

My name's Dave and I like Johan Sebastian Bach, The Beatles, Ludwig van Beethoven, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie, Johannes Brahms, Frédéric Chopin, Elvis Costello, Devo, Didjits, Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, Joe Jackson, George Jones, Judas Priest, Paul McCartney, The Monkees, Graham Parker, Gene Pitney, The Police, Prince, Queen, Sparks, Cat Stevens, The Stranglers, Talking Heads, Van Halen and Ween.

eyeresist

Hi Dave, here's your first-timer's chip.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2011, 03:28:23 AM
Afghanistan has been in robust opium production since the ouster of the Taliban (talk of "unintended consequences").
They need something, I guess...

I had an idea inspired by a post on lamebook. Go to a bar. If a hot lady asks you to buy her a drink, say no.  8)
Ha!  ;D

DavidW

karlhenning

DavidW

What I find upsetting is that the #s show that 10 times more people prefer streaming to dvd rentals.  I'm just saying that most people would prefer having a very limited selection available RIGHT NOW, instead of a nearly complete selection available within 1-2 shipping days.  Is this a sign of our times?  Are we as a society insanely impatient?  Or is it that people want to watch so much tv that they need an all you can eat buffet? :-\

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2011, 04:07:40 AM
There, it's true: I'm one in a million . . . .

No more Robocop 25, Critters 7: the crittering and other straight to video releases. ;)

Brahmsian

Trying to find the relationship 'love/hate' links of North American country.  Of course, I'm joking around here, and this isn't to be taken seriously, but I find these generalizations to be somewhat amusing:

Canada loves Cuba

Cuba loves Canada (except for the rude Quebec tourists, many Cubans have told me so.  They'll ask "Are you Canadian or from Quebec?")

USA hates Cuba

Cuba hates USA

USA loves Canada

Canada loves/hates USA

Canada loves/hates Mexico

Mexico loves Canada

Mexico hates USA

USA hates Mexico

*Not sure what Cuba and Mexico think of each other??   :D

karlhenning

USA hates Canadian pharma spam (apart from Rush Limbaugh, possibly)

DavidW

USA = crazed xenophobia... just kidding! ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2011, 06:12:12 AM
USA hates Canadian pharma spam (apart from Rush Limbaugh, possibly)

True, that!   :D

DavidW

I drank orange juice this morning (I really did), and so should you. ;D

DavidW

Netflix is changing the dvd service to quickster or some stupid bull like that.  What was cool though was finding an apology from the ceo in my inbox.  They will also be offering games.  I feel kind of depressed that I had been using netflix since they were just a CA company and soon I will no longer be using netflix because they want to rebrand and then forget about their dvd mailing service.  Isn't this all coming a bit too soon?

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2011, 09:50:47 AM
I drank orange juice this morning (I really did), and so should you. ;D

Grapefruit juice, here.

BTW, how cool that Szent-Györgyi first extracted C from paprika!

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on September 19, 2011, 08:12:05 AM
Netflix is changing the dvd service to quickster or some stupid bull like that.  What was cool though was finding an apology from the ceo in my inbox.  They will also be offering games.  I feel kind of depressed that I had been using netflix since they were just a CA company and soon I will no longer be using netflix because they want to rebrand and then forget about their dvd mailing service.  Isn't this all coming a bit too soon?

We subscribed to Netflix for probably almost two years, and apart from the initial trial period, we've just done the two movies per month plan. So we were never heavily invested in the use of Netflix.  When I learnt that they were hiking the subscription — something to which I should have reacted in a different tone if they had communicated it in a straightforward manner, We are advising you of the following changes, and these are the reasons behind it — my immediate response was to ask myself, Is the use which I am getting out of the service worth a 62% increase in expense, i.e., an addition $36 per annum? For myself, the answer was, Not particularly.

Brian

Avast ye scuppernongs! It be Talk Like a Pirate Day! All foes of Fiendish Captain Purplebeard, take a long walk down a short plank! Arrrr etc etc

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on September 19, 2011, 09:57:34 AM
Avast ye scuppernongs! It be Talk Like a Pirate Day! All foes of Fiendish Captain Purplebeard, take a long walk down a short plank! Arrrr etc etc

Pieces of Eight! Aaaarhh, Jim Lad! Shiver me timbers and splice the mainbrace! Hoist the jibboom spanker!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest! Ahoy me hearties!

(This is great fun I agree, but why are we doin' it, Brian?)

Brian

Quote from: Elgarian on September 19, 2011, 10:40:15 AM
Pieces of Eight! Aaaarhh, Jim Lad! Shiver me timbers and splice the mainbrace! Hoist the jibboom spanker!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest! Ahoy me hearties!

(This is great fun I agree, but why are we doin' it, Brian?)

T'day be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me lad! I heerd it from a landlubber at a tavern in Marrrrrrgate!