The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I am going to start listening to German-language Starcraft broadcasts to see if I can learn the language by immersion. This is maybe less silly than it sounds, because SC commentary in any language is peppered with English terms, so to hear them throwing in "unit-control" and "timing push" every now and again gives context that might otherwise have lost me.

My biggest problem I suppose will be my terrible I am at understanding voices anyway :\
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 19, 2011, 01:02:45 PM
I am going to start listening to German-language Starcraft broadcasts to see if I can learn the language by immersion.

The language of German or the language of nerds? ;D

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidW on September 19, 2011, 01:04:27 PM
The language of German or the language of nerds? ;D

;) "Eine hero zergling" resonates to nerds of all creed.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on September 19, 2011, 12:52:30 PM
T'day be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me lad! I heerd it from a landlubber at a tavern in Marrrrrrgate!

I see. So it was a one-day festival of pirate-talk, which means that now it's over. Well alright, but what do I do this morning with these timbers I've shivered, and this jibboom spanker that's been hoisted? And there are 15 ruffians here, gathered around a dead man's chest, demanding breakfast. What about them?

Thought for the day:

If a man dies, would his ribcage actually stand up to the weight of fifteen men sitting on him?

eyeresist

Chest = wood or leathern trunk, not human upper torso.

Elgarian

Quote from: eyeresist on September 19, 2011, 11:44:56 PM
Chest = wood or leathern trunk, not human upper torso.

Yes. That was just my little (admittedly very little) joke; though exposed now, like this, alas, it looks even smaller....

eyeresist

HA! I stand TRIUMPHANT over your feeble jest. Tremble, puny pun, before the MIGHT of my banal, joy-killing literalism!

Wait, what?

eyeresist

The Australian dollar is apparently fated to drop to parity with the US and then continue downward. No more "cheap" imports for me, I guess :(  :'(

Elgarian

Quote from: eyeresist on September 20, 2011, 01:44:38 AM
HA! I stand TRIUMPHANT over your feeble jest. Tremble, puny pun, before the MIGHT of my banal, joy-killing literalism!

I quake (Pirate Bold though I was, 'twas for but a day) beneath your victorious gaze, and hand over my cutlass, my Treasure Map, and my Handbook of Bad Jokes.

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresist on September 20, 2011, 01:44:38 AM

There's another text wants a musical setting . . . .

Elgarian

Do you realise that in the WHOLE of Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day, no one said 'Yo Ho Ho, and a Bottle of Rum'? What a shockingly missed opportunity.

(I blame Brian for this.)

karlhenning

ibanezmonster

Next up: Talk like a Henning day.  8)

Brian

Quote from: Greg on September 20, 2011, 07:10:39 AM
Next up: Talk like a Henning day.  8)

Indeed. It shall be indisputably beneath an underripe lemon, make no mistake!  :)

Opus106

J'espère que cela a du sens. Je-je-je!
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

ibanezmonster

Renfield

Brian

Quote from: Greg on September 20, 2011, 12:17:12 PM
Talk like a James day is tomorrow...

Whilst showering this morning I drafted posts for putative days in honor of James, Sgt Rock, Mirror Image, and MN Dave...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2011, 12:56:33 PM
Whilst showering this morning I drafted posts for putative days in honor of James, Sgt Rock, Mirror Image, and MN Dave...
На здоровье!

Aye, work is progressing somewhat steadily. I have four performers that shall be reciting the holy posts of the abovementioned next Tuesday at the Cathedral.

Rehearsals have gone smoothly, and they seem well prepared. The performance of James' part so far has seemed to be one of the most impressive, with his "dewd"s and "Pfffffft"s well articulated. If all goes well, I might consider an orchestral score, or perhaps a ballet adaptation, though it may take me a minimum of 8 years to finish.