The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Quote from: Greg on November 26, 2011, 03:26:56 PM
I had those types of metaphysical lunch errors throughout most of 11th grade and a little bit every now and then during the surrounding years.

But the real problem is not the metaphysical lunch errors, but the metaphysical component of the metaphysical aspect of the metaphysical lunch errors. You see, whoever the King of France, may be, whether or not he lives in Madagascar, is subject to much debate in the mind of Ubloobideega. That's the reason why.

I will explain. Although not metaphysical, it is nevertheless curious.

Louis would eat lunch in the company of his court. His table was set up facing out across the gardens of Versailles. As he ate; his court stood silently behind him and he alone had food. As I said; curious. The mores he promoted were in order to glorify him and keep the courtiers insecure.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Papy Oli

Quote from: knight66 on November 26, 2011, 01:17:47 PM
They are smaller than I had imagined.
Mike

They're not. It's a giant loo.
Olivier

knight66

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 26, 2011, 11:34:37 PM
They're not. It's a giant loo.

Thank you, of course. That makes much more sense, sets my mind at rest.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidRoss on November 26, 2011, 01:13:55 PM

Why dinosaurs are extinct.

Interesting. Recent discoveries among the fossil record at the end of the Cretaceous period do indeed show many dinosaur skeletons apparently stuck halfway in some strange unidentified aperture. This clears up the puzzle. Thanks Dave.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Elgarian on November 27, 2011, 12:42:38 AMThis clears up the puzzle. Thanks Dave.

yes, it lift the lid on this mystery....

*already gone*
Olivier

Karl Henning

Anyone else smile at the disconnect between the speed with which a thread arises to mourn (at least, I think it isn't to cheer) the recent passing of a musician, including composers, and the apparent lack of interest in living composers?

Or maybe it's no disconnect, but open and aboveboard necrophilia.

(Anyone smiling at the necrophilia?)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

Quote from: knight66 on November 26, 2011, 10:16:01 PM
I will explain. Although not metaphysical, it is nevertheless curious.

Louis would eat lunch in the company of his court. His table was set up facing out across the gardens of Versailles. As he ate; his court stood silently behind him and he alone had food. As I said; curious. The mores he promoted were in order to glorify him and keep the courtiers insecure.

Mike
Oh, all along we were talk about King Louis? That guy was a schmukus- I thought we were talking about future King Merde, who will rule from AD 2337-2455. In those years, Europe is divided into 5 countries- England, France, Germany, Poland, and Luxembourg.

King Merde didn't do that stuff, because in the future it doesn't make sense to their culture. Kind of as I said, he would be raped by a gang of mimes while eating lunch in front of families, as a sort of pastime. Every time a mime would accidentally make a sound, he would castrate them publicly, so it was quite a slow affair, sometimes lasting days at a time, and about 95% of the time just an hour or two, without finishing.

Also, in French culture during that time, it was ("will be") customary for the king to go around, licking random people's food before eating it, during dinnertime. That was the law- anyone who resisted will be vaporized, and/or serialized into data and sent to internet prison for a while. After he licked your food, you also had to say, "Mmm, yummy, La Merde in za me tummy!" and then simultaneously, in the space of 3.5 seconds, clap your hands 3 times, blink 10 times, stomping your foot 7 times and making loud breath noises 4 times, because he wants to improve the citizens' grasp of complex rhythmic subdivisions.

Lethevich

Quote from: karlhenning on November 27, 2011, 10:01:43 AM
Anyone else smile at the disconnect between the speed with which a thread arises to mourn (at least, I think it isn't to cheer) the recent passing of a musician, including composers, and the apparent lack of interest in living composers?

But until they're dead, they might do something unexpected :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on November 27, 2011, 10:01:43 AM

Where are the obit. threads for composers? All I see are those for performers. (I assume the apparent correlation that you observed is restricted to the last week or so.)

And during the same time, I saw activity in some living composer threads (Henning and Rihm, to name two) and the creation of a thread for a living composer about an hour or ago or less (Dusapin).
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 27, 2011, 10:08:32 PM
There's nearly a daily dose of contemporary composers in the "Only the New (Music)" thread.

Philo, you'll be happy to know that I'm getting more into Contemporary classical music. I bought some Dusapin, Chin, and Rihm recordings early yesterday. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 27, 2011, 10:16:24 PM
I am happy to know that, and it seems like you're starting to branch out into some less "safe" areas, which is, to me, always a sign of positive growth.  8)

Thanks, Philo. We all must take risks from time to time, because if we don't, then we'll never experience anything. :)

PaulR

Today is a nice surprise.  The sun is out, and Bowling Green isn't a big lake with all this rain.

ibanezmonster

This is what I listened to NPR:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-reich-bargain-20111130,0,5348681.story

QuoteNew data from the Commerce Department shows employee pay is now down to the smallest share of the economy since the government began collecting wage and salary data in 1929. Meanwhile, corporate profits now constitute the largest share of the economy since 1929. That, by the way, was the year of the Great Crash that ushered in the Great Depression.
Yay.

PaulR

The day hasn't exactly started the way I would've like it to.........the shade part of my bedroom light fell right on me head.....

Karl Henning

Did a light bulb wink on?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

Unemployment in the US dropped to 8.6%....

I just listened to the same Christmas song about 40 times in a row a couple of hours ago, and it's nice that I can't even remember it now...

Szykneij

Quote from: Greg on December 02, 2011, 06:29:00 PM

I just listened to the same Christmas song about 40 times in a row a couple of hours ago, and it's nice that I can't even remember it now...

Wow! Some people posting in the "Can't Get it Out of My Head" thread can hear 7 complete symphonies, 3 operas, and 16 piano concertos in their heads every morning!   ;)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Quote from: Greg on December 02, 2011, 06:29:00 PM
Unemployment in the US dropped to 8.6%....

Unfortunately, you appear to live in one of the most difficult areas for employment:

The 10 Worst U.S. Cities to Find a Job

10. Orlando, Florida - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.11
  9. St. Louis - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.12
  8. Rochester, NY - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.31
  7. Memphis, TN - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.33
  6. Sacramento, CA -Number of job seekers per opening: 2.70
  5. Detroit - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.75
  4. Las Vegas - Number of job seekers per opening: 2.75
  3. Riverside, CA - Number of job seekers per opening: 3.25
  2. Los Angeles - Number of job seekers per opening: 3.48
  1. Miami - Number of job seekers per opening: 4.37
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Lethevich

Seinfeld lied to me! I was under the impression that Florida was all retired people :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on December 03, 2011, 06:35:00 AM
Seinfeld lied to me! I was under the impression that Florida was all retired people :)

Except for those working at Disney World. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth