The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

A quote from Leonard Maltin on the back of the clamshell for Mel Brooks's High Anxiety:

Quote from: Leonard MaltinMoments of great comedy.

Moments . . . in a 90-minute movie: damning with faint praise?  Just strikes me as curiously under-powered enthusiasm for a selling citation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: eyeresist on January 20, 2012, 02:29:51 AM
You are not making fish. Only the Lord can do that.

Indeed. I, too, processed fish yesterday.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 07:16:04 AM
A quote from Leonard Maltin on the back of the clamshell for Mel Brooks’s High Anxiety:

Moments . . . in a 90-minute movie: damning with faint praise?  Just strikes me as curiously under-powered enthusiasm for a selling citation.
Not everyone appreciates the humor of Mel Brooks. Though that bit can be interpretted in multiple ways.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 24, 2012, 07:24:45 AM
Not everyone appreciates the humor of Mel Brooks.

Understood. Quite picky about his work, myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 07:26:22 AM

Hey! Maybe I'm an elitist!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 07:26:22 AM
It is...uneven. Not sure that is the right word, but best I can come up with. He can go over the top and become unfunny. High Anxiety is not my favorite by a long shot. BUT, there are some hilarious moments. Assume you've seen Young Frankenstein, which is my personal favorite. The Moses bit from History of the World, Part I may just be my favorite bit he's ever done, but it is in direct competition with the Inquisition scene from the same movie.

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 24, 2012, 08:36:19 AM
It is...uneven. Not sure that is the right word, but best I can come up with.

Diplomatically put. I had seen High Anxiety back when it was first released . . . I went back to it, partly because of my recent Hitchcock immersion, partly because I realized that I scarce remembered Brooks's movie . . . .

Quote from: mc ukrneal. . . Assume you've seen Young Frankenstein, which is my personal favorite.

Yes, agreed that that is his best it's my personal favorite, too.

Quote from: mc ukrnealThe Moses bit from History of the World, Part I may just be my favorite bit he's ever done, but it is in direct competition with the Inquisition scene from the same movie.

I should blush to admit this, but I've not yet seen that one . . ..
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PaulR

I'm currently listening to my recital again 2 years after the fact.  I still can't get over all the stupid mistakes, and intonation problems I had.  Still, people said it was very good, so perhaps I should listen to them, and be less hard on myself.

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2012, 09:39:41 AM
Not ashamed to admit that I don't even remember who played in the Super Bowl last year.

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 07:27:22 AM
Hey! Maybe I'm an elitist!

You can't be an elitist without Eli.

(Karl, you must find a football fan to discover what that means.)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 09:18:14 AM
I should blush to admit this, but I've not yet seen that one . . ..
Stupid, stupid movie, and yet, there are parts I just can never get tired of and overall I like the movie (contradictory, ain't it?!). It needs a miracle (inisde joke)! It is too episodic, but that structure allows you to compartmentalize the scenes and enjoy the good ones to the max. Rent it if you can - the Moses bit is at the very beginning. The Inquisition - what a show (with singing and synchronized swimming). How is a scene of torture and serious historical import brought to song and dance you ask? Only as Mel Brooks can! I cannot imagine this scene being done by anyone else. It's different.

QuoteThe Inquistion, what a show
The Inquistion, here we go
We know you're wishing
That we'd go away
But the Inquistion's here and it's here to stay
The Inquistion, oh boy
The Inquistion, what a joy
The Inquistion, oy oy

The Six

Wendy's really stepped it up with their breakfast. They still don't have it in very many locations, which is too bad, because it's by far the best out of all fast food. Better quality bread and eggs, and the selection is impressive. I still have to try the roasted burrito, egg burger, and honey chicken biscuit.

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 24, 2012, 12:52:34 PM
Stupid, stupid movie, and yet, there are parts I just can never get tired of and overall I like the movie (contradictory, ain't it?!). It needs a miracle (inisde joke)! It is too episodic, but that structure allows you to compartmentalize the scenes and enjoy the good ones to the max. Rent it if you can - the Moses bit is at the very beginning. The Inquisition - what a show (with singing and synchronized swimming). How is a scene of torture and serious historical import brought to song and dance you ask? Only as Mel Brooks can! I cannot imagine this scene being done by anyone else. It's different.

QuoteThe Inquistion, what a show
The Inquistion, here we go
We know you're wishing
That we'd go away
But the Inquistion's here and it's here to stay
The Inquistion, oh boy
The Inquistion, what a joy
The Inquistion, oy oy

Why does this make me think of Michael Palin, dressed as Cardinal Richelieu, miming Petula Clark? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Seen at imdb.com, third in a list of FAQ for The Lord of the Rings:

QuoteWere the hobbits gay?

What utter idiocy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 04:11:19 AM

Why does this make me think of Michael Palin, dressed as Cardinal Richelieu, miming Petula Clark? . . .
Monty Python (or former members) and Mel Brooks have certain elements that are similar - zany, unpredictable (and yet predictable), cleverly worded, etc. And yet they could not be any different!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 25, 2012, 05:57:58 AM
Monty Python (or former members) and Mel Brooks have certain elements that are similar - zany, unpredictable (and yet predictable), cleverly worded, etc. And yet they could not be any different!

Whatever his failings, Mel Brooks gets my enduring gratitude for having created Maxwell Smart, Agent 86. In retrospect (and with tongue in cheek) he credited himself with having invented the cell phone . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 05:53:06 AM
Seen at imdb.com, third in a list of FAQ for The Lord of the Rings:
    Were the hobbits gay?
What utter idiocy.

Only someone who hasn't read the books could pose that question -_- They are totally different in the films.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ibanezmonster

I'll be teaching my first professional guitar lesson Sunday (meaning, having a lesson planned out and getting paid for it). But I'll only limit myself to this one student, because I'm too busy to have much more than one. The extra money may be extremely useful.

Lethevich

Quote from: Greg on January 27, 2012, 04:35:54 PM
I'll be teaching my first professional guitar lesson Sunday (meaning, having a lesson planned out and getting paid for it). But I'll only limit myself to this one student, because I'm too busy to have much more than one. The extra money may be extremely useful.

It's also important not to take on too much initially, and potentially get overwhelmed. It's cool that you're taking the job seriously (a sure chance of return customers), and good luck with it!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

PaulR

Quote from: Greg on January 27, 2012, 04:35:54 PM
good luck with the teaching gig!  And have fun with it :)

ibanezmonster

Thanks, you two.
Yep, I'm taking it seriously for sure if I'm getting paid for it!  8)