The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: nesf on January 30, 2012, 07:36:23 PM
Anyone got any advice on how to get into atonal/modern stuff? At the moment it's just unpleasant to me and I'm curious as to what I'm missing. Is it just a matter of adjusting to it through putting in the hours listening to it or is it something that someone can just find unpleasant and never get past that point?

*awaits the barrage of conflicting opinions* :D

I'm going to cross post on the classical chat thread... meet you over there. :)

eyeresist

Yes, that's the place for this question.

nesf

Quote from: DavidW on January 30, 2012, 07:50:17 PM
I'm going to cross post on the classical chat thread... meet you over there. :)

Whoops, didn't realise such a thread existed. Sorry!
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

PaulR

Thinking about going to the doctor, but I'm not sure......I'm not quite sure what I am experiencing is worth going to the doctor.   :-\

Opus106

Quote from: paulrbass on February 02, 2012, 07:55:18 AM
Thinking about going to the doctor, but I'm not sure......I'm not quite sure what I am experiencing is worth going to the doctor.   :-\

You should start a poll.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

PaulR

Quote from: paulrbass on February 02, 2012, 07:55:18 AM
Ended up going to the Student Health Services, which told me to go to the ER.  But nothing was wrong, so I am happy.  :)

eyeresist

Quote from: paulrbass on February 02, 2012, 04:44:58 PM
Ended up going to the Student Health Services, which told me to go to the ER.  But nothing was wrong, so I am happy.  :)

That's quite a runaraound considering nothing was wrong.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: paulrbass on February 02, 2012, 04:44:58 PM
You aren't out $1000 after being there for a half an hour or hour, are you?

PaulR

Quote from: eyeresist on February 02, 2012, 05:04:49 PM
That's quite a runaraound considering nothing was wrong.
yeah.  The SHS nurse said that it was just for a precaution, as the SHS doesn't really have a lot of equipment.
Quote from: Greg on February 02, 2012, 05:06:14 PM
You aren't out $1000 after being there for a half an hour or hour, are you?
It was billed to my insurance through my parents, so I am not sure how much it is.  (And I wish I was there for only an hour)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: paulrbass on February 02, 2012, 05:15:25 PM
It was billed to my insurance through my parents, so I am not sure how much it is.  (And I wish I was there for only an hour)
Oh, okay... I exaggerated the time (you were probably there for a few hours), but if I remember right, it's normally about $1000 for a typical ER trip. Since you have insurance, I'd imagine most likely it would cover all or most of it.

Szykneij

Did the symptoms include the phrase "lasting more than four hours"?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

eyeresist

Once again thankful I live in Australia  0:)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on February 02, 2012, 05:37:39 PM
Once again thankful I live in Australia  0:)
As long as you stay inside, eh?  :P

eyeresist

Quote from: Greg on February 02, 2012, 05:42:08 PM
As long as you stay inside, eh?  :P
Actually, it's been very cool here the last couple of days (supposed to be midsummer). 20 celcius (68 fahrenheit) ATM. Sydney is actually very temperate, while Melbourne on the south coast gets much hotter summers (and horrendous bushfires) due to winds coming down from the central desert.

ibanezmonster

There has to be something better about living where I do than living in Australia. I actually had in mind all of the insects and stuff in Australia (here, it's pretty bad with bugs, but there is probably much worse).

How hot does it get in summer? Here it gets to 100F pretty often (between 90-100 for certain each summer day), with a heat index bringing it over 110F pretty regularly. Is it better to be in dry air or to have your entire body covered in sweat within 20 seconds of standing outside? (I've never been in a desert)

eyeresist

Quote from: Greg on February 02, 2012, 06:01:52 PM
There has to be something better about living where I do than living in Australia. I actually had in mind all of the insects and stuff in Australia (here, it's pretty bad with bugs, but there is probably much worse).

How hot does it get in summer? Here it gets to 100F pretty often (between 90-100 for certain each summer day), with a heat index bringing it over 110F pretty regularly. Is it better to be in dry air or to have your entire body covered in sweat within 20 seconds of standing outside? (I've never been in a desert)
Most Australians don't live in desert.

I don't think the insects here are especially bad, though I've really nothing to compare it to. They're not swarming all over the place. My friend has trouble with mosquitos, but her yard is rather damp. At my parents' place on the north edge of the city, the only insect problem was occasionally ants getting into the kitchen (though due to pets we did have fleas at one point!). I have seen one poisonous spider in my life (a redback) - found it under the house and killed it with a hammer. A few places I've lived in the inner city had cockroach infestations, but I suspect this is not unusual. There is a breed of large outdoor cockroach which will occasionally wander into the house - they're pretty scary if they fly at you!

Sydney temps can be in the 100s during summer, but it's variable due to coastal winds. (The hottest day I recall was 111f a few years ago. It was new year's day, and I felt very sorry for all the people with hangovers.) I'd say more of a problem than high temps during the day is when the night doesn't dip below 70 - though of course this depends on the winds. Humidity is variable, depending on wind conditions and if it's been raining. Hot winds from the inland are dry so not a problem in that respect. We had a crazy duststorm here a couple of years ago - I looked outside in the morning and everything was orange-red, with visibility of about 30 feet. Some idiots actually went jogging in this stuff and ended up in hospital. Hopefully that was a one-off....

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on February 02, 2012, 06:36:14 PM
Most Australians don't live in desert.

I don't think the insects here are especially bad, though I've really nothing to compare it to. They're not swarming all over the place. My friend has trouble with mosquitos, but her yard is rather damp. At my parents' place on the north edge of the city, the only insect problem was occasionally ants getting into the kitchen (though due to pets we did have fleas at one point!). I have seen one poisonous spider in my life (a redback) - found it under the house and killed it with a hammer. A few places I've lived in the inner city had cockroach infestations, but I suspect this is not unusual. There is a breed of large outdoor cockroach which will occasionally wander into the house - they're pretty scary if they fly at you!

Sydney temps can be in the 100s during summer, but it's variable due to coastal winds. (The hottest day I recall was 111f a few years ago. It was new year's day, and I felt very sorry for all the people with hangovers.) I'd say more of a problem than high temps during the day is when the night doesn't dip below 70 - though of course this depends on the winds. Humidity is variable, depending on wind conditions and if it's been raining. Hot winds from the inland are dry so not a problem in that respect. We had a crazy duststorm here a couple of years ago - I looked outside in the morning and everything was orange-red, with visibility of about 30 feet. Some idiots actually went jogging in this stuff and ended up in hospital. Hopefully that was a one-off....
Sounds like the heat is slightly worse where you live, but the bugs aren't. All of those insect problems you listed are very common here. I've had a cockroach fly on my head while trying to fall asleep, so I know what you mean.

Also, I wonder if "Redback" is the same as the Black Widow Spider, or if they are different spiders.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Greg on February 03, 2012, 05:45:56 AM
Sounds like the heat is slightly worse where you live, but the bugs aren't. All of those insect problems you listed are very common here. I've had a cockroach fly on my head while trying to fall asleep, so I know what you mean.

Also, I wonder if "Redback" is the same as the Black Widow Spider, or if they are different spiders.

Read the Wiki link thoughtfully provided by Mr./Ms. Resist, Greg. It tells all. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)