The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 03, 2012, 05:56:48 AM
Read the Wiki link thoughtfully provided by Mr./Ms. Resist, Greg. It tells all. :)

8)
I read most of it but didn't see this part:
QuoteThe Redback spider is a member of the spider genus Latrodectus, in the family Theridiidae. It is related to the best known member of the group, the black widow spider

PaulR

So....my interview for the music history assistantship is next friday, and just got real nervous about the interview with having to look at scores and discuss them (In terms of style, and performing forces in order to describe the genre and possible composer) during the interview.  I am just extremely worried....

Opus106

Ouch!

QuoteOn February 14 he received a letter from her breaking off their relationship.

web.archive.org/web/20040620030336/http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=5,5,1,42 (look under Bartók's VC 1).
Regards,
Navneeth

Papy Oli

Quote from: Opus106 on February 05, 2012, 08:08:43 AM
Ouch!

web.archive.org/web/20040620030336/http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=5,5,1,42 (look under Bartók's VC 1).

it probably went along the lines of... .

Roses are red
Violets are blue
in Vs. Janacek thread
I chose him over you.

Olivier

Opus106

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 05, 2012, 09:19:08 AM
it probably went along the lines of... .

Roses are red
Violets are blue
in Vs. Janacek thread
I chose him over you.

;D
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: paulrbass on February 04, 2012, 04:20:07 AM
So....my interview for the music history assistantship is next friday, and just got real nervous about the interview with having to look at scores and discuss them (In terms of style, and performing forces in order to describe the genre and possible composer) during the interview.  I am just extremely worried....

I have an interview too.  Good luck on yours!  I just spent time practicing my presentation and I have to get up very early to drive to the airport.  Will be gone for 3 days to Charlotte.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: paulrbass on February 04, 2012, 04:20:07 AM
Quote from: DavidW on February 05, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
I have an interview too.  Good luck on yours!  I just spent time practicing my presentation and I have to get up very early to drive to the airport.  Will be gone for 3 days to Charlotte.
Good luck gentlemen!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on February 05, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 05, 2012, 01:02:52 PM
Good luck gentlemen!!
Thank you both!

Good luck with yours David!

Lethevich

The ingredients list on a tin of beans:

QuoteContains beans and other organic substances

That is quite the catch-all, let's hope it's not a garnish of salmonella -_-
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Thanks everyone!  I made it through the trip alright.  Hotel is nice, tomorrow will be very busy.  My presentation is first thing in the morning but I have a full schedule of interviewing from 8 am to 6 pm ish. :)

Szykneij

Quote from: Lethevich on February 06, 2012, 07:26:20 AM

At least the beans are listed first.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethevich on February 06, 2012, 07:26:20 AM

Depending on at which pharmacy I buy my over-the-counter sleeping aid, they sometimes apply a warning sticker which says "May cause drowsiness".

Szykneij

Quote from: eyeresist on February 06, 2012, 03:53:42 PM
Depending on at which pharmacy I buy my over-the-counter sleeping aid, they sometimes apply a warning sticker which says "May cause drowsiness".

Then, if it doesn't work, they're covered!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Lethevich

This is bugging me. There is a piano tune in my head, famous, that sounds American and maybe around 1920s - it's often used in media to create a general Laurel & Hardy or circus-sounding moment. It has four chords which repeat twice, then modulates (I think this is the word) up and down to form another group of four to the effect of a comedic/shambling march. It's hard to explain ahh.

Papy Oli

The laurel and Hardy cuckoo tune maybe ? ...it starts with 2 sets of 4 notes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8NjVVKvuE

Olivier

DavidW

My interview went well, long day.  I'll fly back tomorrow. :)

Lethevich

Grats, David. I had a kind of interview today too, although infinitely less high pressure.

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 07, 2012, 10:49:30 AM
The laurel and Hardy cuckoo tune maybe ? ...it starts with 2 sets of 4 notes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8NjVVKvuE

That is definitely the kind of thing, but not fully it. The reason it came to mind is because this movement appears to be an extended series of variations based either literaly on the tune, or unintentionally:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/ye6Psolu/06_-_Lamento_Vier_Intermezzi_u.html

It comes closest in "tone" at the first two repeats of the four notes around 4:08, but rapidly digresses.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth