The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Not that either - maybe the use of that word was misleading; bouncy, playful in a simple early pop kind of way - it is used nowadays for scenes of an archaic nature, as it seems quaint nowadays. I've only heard it played on the piano.

I just realised it might begin with three notes (at least in some versions) before the repeats of four I mentioned. The first two are kind of slurred together sometimes. My total colourblindness when it comes to picking the right notes means I can't even midi keyboard it -_-
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on February 07, 2012, 05:29:10 PM
My interview went well, long day.  I'll fly back tomorrow. :)

Coolness!

Separately:

0 inches snow accumulation expected in the next 36 hours; I like that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

I will be searching, but does anyone have any good suggestions for this?:

What I want is an easy way to backup online about 400-500GB of data for a little while (probably less than a month) while I return an external hard drive. The reason is that my primary hard drive is shutting off randomly now, and it's still in warranty, so I'm just going to have to send it back and get a new one. While I'm doing that, that means I'll only have one copy of my library, which is unreasonable, for any amount of time, ever. Online storage will mean a temporary backup.

My first choice is to upgrade my mediafire account for just a month ($9) and upload zipped folders (the limit is 4GB each), which will be a lot of work (considering not even worrying about back up my videos, since that's probably 200 of those 400 or 500 GB right there). It would be nice if there were something just like that, but you could upload everything at once, even if it is a 10 hour upload process.

DavidW

Multiple drop box accounts, 100 gigs for $20/yr per account.  Easy to use.

But an external drive is a much smarter answer.  Do you know how long downloading and uploading 500 gigs would take!?  Why are you returning an external drive?

Edit: link https://www.dropbox.com/

Opus106

One of the reasons for the popularity of Rapidshare is that there is an uploader application for the site, which you start in the morning and do your own stuff in the meanwhile. It requires a premium account, of course. Perhaps there is on like that for MediaFire too?
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Seedboxes are intended for torrenting, but may be the cheapest option if it's for a month - whatbox.ca for example offers 500gb for $40/month.

But I would strongly suggest an external HD like David says - American connections aren't all that good, it would probably take over a month to upload it even if you have an okay one, not to mention the download time on the other side.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

nesf

Yeah, an external hard drive is the way to go. Useful in the long term as a back up location (i.e. if you have 2 external hard drives, fill both of them with music and have the second at a different location in case of fire etc)

Other than that, if you feel you have to have an off-site backup, then a seedbox or another server is a decent option for that much storage, cloud storage is expensive, Dropbox 100GB is €20/month over here, Amazon Cloud Drive $500 for a year's 500GB. iTunes Match won't work as it has a limit of 25K songs which you're probably well over unless everything is in FLAC. Uploading 500GB is going to violate Fair Usage Policies for most connections though (I assume you have these policies in the US?).
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: nesf on February 12, 2012, 02:40:32 AM
Yeah, an external hard drive is the way to go. Useful in the long term as a back up location (i.e. if you have 2 external hard drives, fill both of them with music and have the second at a different location in case of fire etc)
That's exactly what I do. Cool to see someone else with the same idea.

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2012, 09:09:51 PM
Why are you returning an external drive?
My primary drive shuts itself off after a few minutes, and it's not because of the chord. The click and sound of the fan on startup usually means it's dying. They usually don't last long.

I was going to use Dropbox, but I saw that it is $20/month, not $20/year for 100GB. I may consider just doing nothing while replacing it, though it's risky because you just have to hope you don't have unfortunate timing in case your other one stops working during that time (although there are ways of recovering data).

ibanezmonster

Well, to be more specific, all of a sudden, I have to put the chord in a certain way, and it'll work fine... until just barely shake it and it shuts off. I can't even put it in all the way- only works halfway.
(and I guess there isn't really a click on startup, either...)
I tried two chords, it's like the connection inside the drive is slightly messed up.

ibanezmonster

Okay, I got it now. What I'll do is use the drive that was my backup drive as the primary and the primary as the backup (I have a year and 3 months left on my warranty, so it isn't completely urgent).

Just used my primary that wasn't working right for a half an hour without touching anything at all, and it hasn't shut off (tried a different outlet this time). Wiggling it around a bit turned it off, though, so I guess it isn't the outlet.

DavidW

If it's under warranty, the pc company might ship you a new hd.  That happened to me.  My hp laptop had an hd crash and I contacted them and they shipped me a replacement hd with next day fedex express.

It could be the power supply you need to replace, if you have a desktop that is a cheap fix, cheaper than a new hd. :)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on February 12, 2012, 06:24:21 AM
If it's under warranty, the pc company might ship you a new hd.  That happened to me.  My hp laptop had an hd crash and I contacted them and they shipped me a replacement hd with next day fedex express.

It could be the power supply you need to replace, if you have a desktop that is a cheap fix, cheaper than a new hd. :)
Well, they are IOMega external hard drives (I'd be surprised if they don't get well over half of the new ones back, given that the warranty is for 3 years). Supposedly, they usually fix it and send it back, but I'll have to look into how to do that (their site is complicated and it costs $25 for a phone call).

I know it's not the power supply cord, because I had to replace that not long ago, since I had messed it up, and I even tried it with the other power supply cord that I use for my backup HD, with the same results.

btw, thanks for the advice.  :)

ibanezmonster

I didn't even know what "schizoid" was until now.  :o :-[
(thought it had to do with schizophrenia...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid

Interesting... there is a lot here I totally can relate to, minus loneliness and depersonalization, which I haven't experienced before.

21st century Schizoid Man...  ::)

nesf

Quote from: Greg on February 12, 2012, 02:52:59 PM
I didn't even know what "schizoid" was until now.  :o :-[
(thought it had to do with schizophrenia...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid

Interesting... there is a lot here I totally can relate to, minus loneliness and depersonalization, which I haven't experienced before.

21st century Schizoid Man...  ::)

Interestingly they diagnosed me with that once before realising it was the drugs and just leaving it as Schizotypal (they had me down for both). :)

Depersonalisation is, well, bizarre. One of the clearest experiences I had of it was having a conversation with another person and feeling like someone else was controlling my half of the conversation. That was strange.

Yes, I'm shallow.

eyeresist

I think the issue of drug-taking is underestimated in psychological studies. Unless you actually confine someone, you can't be sure that their schizophrenic symptoms aren't the result of just being stoned all the time :)

nesf

Quote from: eyeresist on February 12, 2012, 04:36:15 PM
I think the issue of drug-taking is underestimated in psychological studies. Unless you actually confine someone, you can't be sure that their schizophrenic symptoms aren't the result of just being stoned all the time :)

Unfortunately it was prescribed drugs in my case. No fun at all! :(

Yes, I'm shallow.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: nesf on February 12, 2012, 04:24:57 PM
Interestingly they diagnosed me with that once before realising it was the drugs and just leaving it as Schizotypal (they had me down for both). :)

Depersonalisation is, well, bizarre. One of the clearest experiences I had of it was having a conversation with another person and feeling like someone else was controlling my half of the conversation. That was strange.
I'm confused about the discussion on this first paragraph, but the second one... is it anything similar to when you work too hard too long and you feel like your mind is completely gone, or is it specifically like someone else is controlling you?

Out of curiousity, I did a test:
QuoteParanoid   34%   49%
Schizoid   90%    53%
Schizotypal   58%   53%
Antisocial  38%   47%
Borderline  54%   47%
Histrionic  30%    43%
Narcissistic  62%   41%
Avoidant  34%   39%
Dependent  14%   37%
Obsessive-Compulsive  54%   40%
left=mine right=average

hmmm.... well, here's the link for that. Kinda interesting:
http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newpd.pl

nesf

Quote from: Greg on February 12, 2012, 05:26:39 PM
I'm confused about the discussion on this first paragraph, but the second one... is it anything similar to when you work too hard too long and you feel like your mind is completely gone, or is it specifically like someone else is controlling you?

Not really, it was for me more like observing my own voice coming from between me and the other person and hearing it this way in my right ear. It was very disconcerting. But it didn't feel like an out of body experience in that I didn't have a sensation of being outside my body or anything like that.

Quote from: Greg on February 12, 2012, 05:26:39 PMOut of curiousity, I did a test:left=mine right=average

hmmm.... well, here's the link for that. Kinda interesting:
http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newpd.pl

QuoteParanoid      82%   49%
Schizoid      58%   53%
Schizotypal   74%   53%
Antisocial      46%   47%
Borderline   54%   47%
Histrionic     62%   43%
Narcissistic   30%   41%
Avoidant      50%   39%
Dependent   66%   37%
Obsessive-Compulsive   38%   40%

I be odd. :)

But these online tests are very, very unreliable though.

Yes, I'm shallow.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: nesf on February 12, 2012, 05:43:26 PM
Not really, it was for me more like observing my own voice coming from between me and the other person and hearing it this way in my right ear. It was very disconcerting. But it didn't feel like an out of body experience in that I didn't have a sensation of being outside my body or anything like that.
Yep, that's something I've never experienced before.
Actually, the weirdest thing I've experienced WILD (wake induced lucid dreaming). Observing stuff like your body going into sleep paralysis or your mind going from a waking state to a dreaming state and stuff- not sure you can get much weirder than that without drugs. But that's another story.

Quote from: nesf on February 12, 2012, 05:43:26 PM
But these online tests are very, very unreliable though.
I suppose they can be, but they are entertaining, at least.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on February 12, 2012, 11:12:03 PM
I suppose they can be, but they are entertaining, at least.

I think you've got the verb modes reversed: they are unreliable, but they can be entertaining, at least ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot