The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Going on right now: Live Google Hangout from CMS, the LHC detector at CERN.

https://plus.google.com/101560853443212199687/posts

You don't have to be a member to watch it; only to "hangout" (ask questions).
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

From the if new were forced to be truthful contest on Cracked:

:D

Lethevich

I sometimes wonder what planet people live on when they claim "rising food prices". I just bought 1kg of carrots, a large swede (I see what you are about to do here) and 650g of onions for 90p total. Do they expect it to be free or something -_-
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

nesf

Quote from: Lethevich on February 16, 2012, 02:31:01 AM
I sometimes wonder what planet people live on when they claim "rising food prices". I just bought 1kg of carrots, a large swede (I see what you are about to do here) and 650g of onions for 90p total. Do they expect it to be free or something -_-

Food prices have been quite volatile in third world countries to be fair. We're pretty shielded from it in the EU. But yes, the UK has stupidly low food prices. I'm shocked whenever I buy food over there.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

Karl Henning

Food prices here upticked somewhat at the time of increased fuel prices.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

UB

Check out the food prices in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. You will never complain about the price of food again.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Lethevich

I can't speak even for the rest of Europe, merely the whiney bitches all over the news in the UK who want their beef steaks and cheese to cost slightly less, presumably so that they may buy slightly more. It's safe to assume about many matters that if it's in sub-Saharan Africa, it's likely far from ideal.

Sergeant Rock

...carrots, a large swede and onions....for 90p total.

In Germany I'd pay probably double that...that is, if purchasing Swedes were legal. Unfortunately, human trafficking has been outlawed here.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2012, 11:03:58 AM
In Germany I'd pay probably double that...that is, if purchasing Swedes were legal. Unfortunately, human trafficking has been outlawed here.

;D I confess, it was from quite a silly special offer, often they would be double. But there are always sales of this kind, yet westerners always seem to find a way to complain. It's like the British with their weather.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethevich on February 16, 2012, 11:08:13 AM
;D I confess, it was from quite a silly special offer, often they would be double. But there are always sales of this kind, yet westerners always seem to find a way to complain. It's like the British with their weather.

Yeah, actually food can be remarkably cheap in Germany.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ibanezmonster

Speaking of food... the stereotype of Southern Baptists being all about food is too true.

My friends from church on facebook: now, even though I haven't talked to most of them much over the last few years, and I know food isn't their only interest, why is it (when they rarely post on facebook) that all of their facebook posts are about food? If it's not food, it's about their new spouses or whatever, but never something... beyond simple.  ::) Those are some decent people, but some of them seriously need to get weirder.

knight66

You don't think your Southern Baptists are weird? They certainly appear so to outsiders.

Quote from an anonymous Irish girl: "The whole truth about any of us would shock all the rest of us."

Your contacts are probably too wise to display their weird side to the world through Facebook.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: knight66 on February 17, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
You don't think your Southern Baptists are weird? They certainly appear so to outsiders.
Well, being too normal is a way of being weird...

Quote from: knight66 on February 17, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
Your contacts are probably too wise to display their weird side to the world through Facebook.
That's most likely it. There was one guy in my class who, I heard, went running around naked during the camping trip before the one where I went with them.
But sometimes I wonder about some of them. I mean, do they have hobbies or interests that they are crazy about? If so, they never talked about them. They almost lead me to believe they have no interests past the most basic things in life.

ibanezmonster

After wearing my Meshuggah shirt to work so many times, I finally get a customer who is also a fan!  8)

Him and his girlfriend (very hot girl) even went to see them play in Orlando a few years ago. He said he listened to my favorite album (Catch 33) once for 18 hours! He also said they are all extremely tall (near 7 feet tall), and I said jokingly that it's because they are all Swedish- then he mentioned that he is also Swedish (because of his parents). A group of 7 foot tall cavemen playing extremely heavy metal has to leave some type of scary impression.  :D

Wanderer

Quote from: Greg on February 18, 2012, 03:11:37 PM
... then he mentioned that he is also Swedish (because of his parents)

That usually does it.  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: paulrbass on February 21, 2012, 06:46:35 PM
One of my amazon shipment's tracking number doesn't come up with USPS.......this means nothing, right?

Probably only means that there's a lag in USPS updating their online system, Paul.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PaulR

Quote from: karlhenning on February 22, 2012, 06:08:36 AM
Probably only means that there's a lag in USPS updating their online system, Paul.
You responded just as I was deleting my post, ha.  It finally got into their system.

Ataraxia

Quote from: Greg on February 18, 2012, 03:11:37 PM
After wearing my Meshuggah shirt to work so many times, I finally get a customer who is also a fan!  8)

Him and his girlfriend (very hot girl) even went to see them play in Orlando a few years ago. He said he listened to my favorite album (Catch 33) once for 18 hours! He also said they are all extremely tall (near 7 feet tall), and I said jokingly that it's because they are all Swedish- then he mentioned that he is also Swedish (because of his parents). A group of 7 foot tall cavemen playing extremely heavy metal has to leave some type of scary impression.  :D

I'm a 6'5" midget.  >:(

Opus106

Quote from: Ataraxia on February 24, 2012, 04:44:21 AM
I'm a 6'5" midget.  >:(

Ataraxia Oxymoron. That's your new name. ;D

P.S.: Hello, Dave. :)
Regards,
Navneeth