The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I'm sorry to hear that Paul.  What are you going to do then?

PaulR

Quote from: DavidW on March 07, 2012, 04:42:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Paul.  What are you going to do then?
Dunno, just finish my degree up and hope I get some teaching experience if/when I go for a PhD program.....though, this is all speculative still.  I just know a few friends got assistantships, and I didn't get an E-Mail or nothing comes up on the "GA Stipends" link with list of assistantship offers. 

Edit #1:  Though, I do have a couple of self-esteem problems, with questioning of my own intelligence, self-worth, and whatnot.  I just hope after the initial disappointment wears off....I'll be fine....but......I just don't know that either.

Edit #2:  I can't control what happened in the past..........I can only control what I do in the present, or the future.  I don't know why I am even being depressed about this now (especially since I don't even know for sure).....being depressed won't change the fact.  Hopefully, I can learn from it and be better the next time I have the opportunity.

Karl Henning

Avoid pre-emptive suffering, whenever possible.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PaulR

Quote from: karlhenning on March 07, 2012, 06:22:01 PM
Avoid pre-emptive suffering, whenever possible.
This was a definitely a case of pre-emptive suffering, as it appears that my friend only knows through someone telling her at the CMA.  Me being at home in Albany makes it impossible for me to be in the CMA in Bowling Green OH.

PaulR

So...I am now all registered for the Fall Semester!

Ataraxia

Karl Henning

Lots of hot tea with lemon & honey for you, laddie! Mend soon!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Thanks.

I'm at work.  ;D

Karl Henning

Oof. All the more reason to give the tea flowing. Mu'ad Dib say: The tea must flow . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

I have a bottle of Lipton diet green tea. Does that count?

ibanezmonster

I just realized something... the movie Fight Club and the book Anthem have one thing in common: the stories wouldn't quite have worked if the main characters hadn't just "stumbled" on an abandoned house. I mean, who abandons houses?

The guy in Fight Club would have to work for the companies he hates not just selling soap, but doing more than that. The guy in Anthem would be living in the woods until a coyote eats him while he's sleeping. They are able to be individuals and self-sufficient, etc. only because someone else abandons a house. Ridiculous.

As much as I like these stories, they shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, ever.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on March 13, 2012, 11:02:36 AM
I just realized something... the movie Fight Club and the book Anthem have one thing in common: the stories wouldn't quite have worked if the main characters hadn't just "stumbled" on an abandoned house. I mean, who abandons houses?

People on whom the bank has foreclosed?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Greg on March 13, 2012, 11:02:36 AM

The guy in Fight Club would have to work for the companies he hates not just selling soap, but doing more than that. The guy in Anthem would be living in the woods until a coyote eats him while he's sleeping. They are able to be individuals and self-sufficient, etc. only because someone else abandons a house. Ridiculous.

As much as I like these stories, they shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, ever.

I've never taken Fight Club seriously, entertaining it was, but I laugh when anyone references that book/film in connection to reality.

I remember when the movie came out, I knew of groups of people that started fight clubs, they said how rejuvenating it was, of course the "clubs" didn't last long, because they realized nothing good was coming from them other than bruises and shattered egos.   :D

ibanezmonster

Quote from: karlhenning on March 13, 2012, 11:03:43 AM
People on whom the bank has foreclosed?
Hmmm... true. Though I'd imagine it'd be illegal to just move all of your stuff and live in the house. If it weren't, I'd like my own free house!  8)

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 13, 2012, 11:22:13 AM

I've never taken Fight Club seriously, entertaining it was, but I laugh when anyone references that book/film in connection to reality.

I remember when the movie came out, I knew of groups of people that started fight clubs, they said how rejuvenating it was, of course the "clubs" didn't last long, because they realized nothing good was coming from them other than bruises and shattered egos.   :D
lol  :D

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on March 13, 2012, 05:23:48 AM
Oof. All the more reason to give the tea flowing. Mu'ad Dib say: The tea must flow . . . .

Okay, now I'm in bed. :P

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Karl Henning

Cherish la Roz, laddie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on March 13, 2012, 05:23:48 AMOof. All the more reason to give the tea flowing. Mu'ad Dib say: The tea must flow . . . .
Props must be given for the Dune reference!

Quote from: Greg on March 13, 2012, 11:35:57 AMHmmm... true. Though I'd imagine it'd be illegal to just move all of your stuff and live in the house.
Erm, it's called squatting.