The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on March 14, 2012, 05:18:01 PM
Erm, it's called squatting.
I need a devilish smile icon here... that's cool. Never even heard of that.

Henk

Opus106

Quote from: Henk on March 21, 2012, 03:01:29 PM
I'm gonna go to bed.

I know you like Facebook, but please don't try to change this place into something similar. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

eyeresist

Karl Henning

If this were Twitter, I'd retweet that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Philoctetes

It's always nice to be reminded that my skin isn't white.

eyeresist

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on March 22, 2012, 06:40:15 PM
^ Enigmatic.

Sorry about that. Today, whilst walking home from school, under the warm spring shower. Three adorable tween girls spat some racial slurs at me. I think they were seeking to get a rise out of me, but it takes a lot more than that to draw my attention.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 22, 2012, 06:42:36 PM
Sorry about that. Today, whilst walking home from school, under the warm spring shower. Three adorable tween girls spat some racial slurs at me. I think they were seeking to get a rise out of me, but it takes a lot more than that to draw my attention.

I'm white, but not in the same category as adorable tween girls.  ;D

Philoctetes

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2012, 06:45:34 PM
I'm white, but not in the same category as adorable tween girls.  ;D

Well it sort of threw me for a loop, as this is the first time it has happened in about a year. It was just sort of startling, I guess.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 22, 2012, 06:47:15 PM
Well it sort of threw me for a loop, as this is the first time it has happened in about a year. It was just sort of startling, I guess.

Sorry you had that happen, racial slurs are inappropriate on all levels.

eyeresist

Guess I'm lucky to have avoided such stuff (though I did get called "faggot" a lot in younger days). I remember years ago walking with an asian girlfriend and a passing guy muttered "gook". I was quietly freaked out by that. Part of it was just "What? Really? In this day and age?" But people are vicious morons. That's my default opinion and I'm rarely proven wrong.

Philoctetes

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2012, 06:49:53 PM
Sorry you had that happen, racial slurs are inappropriate on all levels.

I agree there. I think Richard Pryor had it right.

Quote from: eyeresist on March 22, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
Guess I'm lucky to have avoided such stuff (though I did get called "faggot" a lot in younger days). I remember years ago walking with an asian girlfriend and a passing guy muttered "gook". I was quietly freaked out by that. Part of it was just "What? Really? In this day and age?" But people are vicious morons. That's my default opinion and I'm rarely proven wrong.

It was even more shocking as I live in a college town which is actually really diverse. I think I'm just too much of an optimist to accept such a cynical opinion. I do assume that most people will think crude things, but most are decorous enough not to express them. It's really the explicitness that is surprising.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on March 22, 2012, 06:50:00 PM

Throw in ignorant.

You would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior, but it seems that the hatred gets around just as fast through the internet and TV.

eyeresist

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2012, 06:54:05 PMYou would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior

Speak for yourself  mmmbuzzclick.

TheGSMoeller

Philoctetes

For those who haven't seen, here's what may be the best set done by a stand-up comic:

http://www.youtube.com/v/AltWj4iAmno

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 22, 2012, 06:42:36 PM
Surprising to hear about this in Chicago, especially from people so young. Over here, it's not as surprising (though I haven't witnessed anything)- just look at what's in the national news in my area.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2012, 06:54:05 PM
Throw in ignorant.

You would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior, but it seems that the hatred gets around just as fast through the internet and TV.
There's that, but I think the overall effect seems to be that the internet is helping with this, especially in places such as the Middle East.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on March 22, 2012, 07:11:43 PM
Surprising to hear about this in Chicago, especially from people so young. Over here, it's not as surprising (though I haven't witnessed anything)- just look at what's in the national news in my area.

I actually don't live in Chicago. I live in Dekalb which is a really rural community, even though a mid-major university is at the heart of the town.

Yeah, I just heard about the racist guy who killed the young black kid and apparently didn't even get arrested for it.