The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on April 26, 2012, 07:31:48 PM
Yes, that's exactly why it's disappointing that James's book doesn't go to the end of the century. 9/11 and the internet reaching critical mass are together an obvious historical turning point.

Well James did a fantastic job up to that point. There are some fantastic books out in regards to this newer sort of celebrity, but more importantly people used other visual media forms to talk about this topic, the last 3 movies I posted in Last Movies Watched all have to do with new conceptualizations about fame.

I think there is a more obvious need for categorization and classification these days. Before, even up into the modern era in the late-20th century was essentially a binary system. For me the mood really began to change with the advent of popular reality television, starting with Survivor.

eyeresist

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 26, 2012, 07:35:53 PMI think there is a more obvious need for categorization and classification these days. Before, even up into the modern era in the late-20th century was essentially a binary system. For me the mood really began to change with the advent of popular reality television, starting with Survivor.

I hesitate to mention the Degrees of Kevin Bacon  :-[

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on April 26, 2012, 08:02:05 PM

I never really looked at that as more than simply a parlor game.

DavidW

Quote from: eyeresist on April 26, 2012, 08:02:05 PM

Speaking of which I had a nightmare last night where Kevin Bacon lured out a swarm of fire ants with sugar and they were biting me something fierce! swarming over me, bleeding me... I'll let Greg analyze (the dream master)! ;D

eyeresist

I would say Kevin Bacon --> bacon --> ham --> honeyed ham --> ants. Do you have a great fear of ant bites?

DavidW

Not really which made it weird.  That dream came out of left field!

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Opus106 on April 26, 2012, 10:18:32 AM
To perhaps brighten things up a little: The management seems to have sensed that there was something not quite right about their earlier decision.
Good...

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2012, 09:53:38 AM
That's not true, I have... you can do it as an independent study or as a capstone project/honors thesis or work on a research project.  Some classes also have you do such things.  Thinking back to my undergrad experience:
Well, I guess with open-ended projects, you can do such things. Actually, I did get one in a class, though I don't know how common it is in other classes.

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 26, 2012, 09:44:21 AM
To the second: That's just straight up bullshit. The fact that you would even say that simply bolsters my previous point.
Um, you said you don't have to work while you're going to school, right? If so, I don't even know why you'd make a comment on this.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on April 29, 2012, 07:00:01 PM
Um, you said you don't have to work while you're going to school, right? If so, I don't even know why you'd make a comment on this.

For the first two and a half years I had to work full time, and when I begin graduate school, I'll be working full time, as well.

Edit: To expand: I was working from 8:00 to 5:00. Drove an hour to school. School went from 6:00 to 9:00.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 29, 2012, 07:01:22 PM
For the first two and a half years I had to work full time, and when I begin graduate school, I'll be working full time, as well.

Edit: To expand: I was working from 8:00 to 5:00. Drove an hour to school. School went from 6:00 to 9:00.
Well, you can somehow leave time for personal projects... but not much with a schedule like that. What I have in mind, in terms of accomplishing something extra, is much larger (although over the course of several years, you can still get some major stuff done with only a few hours a week).

Idk, I guess due to my lack of energy, a schedule like that would be impossible for me. With my job, after 9 hours, I'm dead. Insteada of coming home to get into one of those comatose naps, school for 3 hours + an hour or two of homework + not enough sleep just wouldn't work.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on April 30, 2012, 11:22:51 AM
Well, you can somehow leave time for personal projects... but not much with a schedule like that. What I have in mind, in terms of accomplishing something extra, is much larger (although over the course of several years, you can still get some major stuff done with only a few hours a week).

Idk, I guess due to my lack of energy, a schedule like that would be impossible for me. With my job, after 9 hours, I'm dead. Insteada of coming home to get into one of those comatose naps, school for 3 hours + an hour or two of homework + not enough sleep just wouldn't work.

You sound lazy to me.

eyeresist

Thus spake the ubermensch.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

Opus106

Bane seems to be an overused name in Fantasy/Sci-Fi stories. Just look it up on Wikipedia!
Regards,
Navneeth

Philoctetes

Officially a college graduate. I take the GRE next week, and have begun the process for entering graduate school. Fun times lie ahead, surely.

DavidW

Congratulations Philo!! :)

Philoctetes

Szykneij

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 07, 2012, 04:01:18 PM
Officially a college graduate. I take the GRE next week, and have begun the process for entering graduate school. Fun times lie ahead, surely.

Nice!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Philoctetes