The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

You think you would. 'Tisn't a job most men are made to like.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Quote from: MN Dave on July 27, 2012, 04:34:59 AM
Dickheads are abundant everywhere and many of them want to be politicians.

Seems to be a requirement for politicians these days.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ibanezmonster

So who should I vote for? Piece of shit candidate number 1 or piece of shit candidate number 2?

I could vote for candidate number 3, but I'd be criticized for wasting a vote. I could vote for number 1, but then I'll "deserve what I get" when the country falls apart. I could vote for number 2, but then I'll "deserve what I get" when the country falls apart. I could not vote, but I'll be criticized for being unpatriotic by not exercising my right to vote. So I'll be unpatriotic by not voting for retards that will damage the country. Hmm...?

Obama, Romney, Bush, and Congress should all just jump off a cliff. At least, maybe let Obama live, since he's the only one of them that seems to have any sense of a soul, but keep him out of office.

mahler10th

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2012, 02:18:33 PM
So who should I vote for? Piece of shit candidate number 1 or piece of shit candidate number 2?

I could vote for candidate number 3, but I'd be criticized for wasting a vote. I could vote for number 1, but then I'll "deserve what I get" when the country falls apart. I could vote for number 2, but then I'll "deserve what I get" when the country falls apart. I could not vote, but I'll be criticized for being unpatriotic by not exercising my right to vote. So I'll be unpatriotic by not voting for retards that will damage the country. Hmm...?

Obama, Romney, Bush, and Congress should all just jump off a cliff. At least, maybe let Obama live, since he's the only one of them that seems to have any sense of a soul, but keep him out of office.

I am Obama fan, despite the economic difficulties America faces.  He is the most genuine and honest President of America I have seen on television.
I don't think you would be unpatriotic if you didn't vote.  By not voting you are voting, a vote of discontent over an assembly of patronising goons, any one of which you're expected to support.  Maintain your dignity and don't support them if they're no good.  A non-vote is a vote for you own integrity.  To paraphrase:
"You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to do.  You have no responsibility to be like they expect you to be. It's their mistake, not your failing."
― Richard P. Feynman

Opus106

Quote from: Scots John on July 27, 2012, 02:31:42 PM
“You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you ought to do.  You have no responsibility to be like they expect you to be. It's their mistake, not your failing.”
― Richard P. Feynman

That just as well applies to what most politicians think.
Regards,
Navneeth

Szykneij

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2012, 02:18:33 PM

I'm 57 years old and have never missed voting in an election. When it comes to presidential elections, I've more often than not chosen a third party candidate. Others have said I wasted my vote by giving it to someone who had no chance of winning, but I used it to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the major party nominees. If everyone else who felt the same way did so also, some change might actually occur.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Opus106

Don't you have an option in the U.S. where you can register your presence at the booth but not vote for any candidate? (Sort of like "None of the above".) Something like this.
Regards,
Navneeth

Ataraxia

Quote from: Szykneij on July 28, 2012, 04:02:09 AM
I'm 57 years old and have never missed voting in an election. When it comes to presidential elections, I've more often than not chosen a third party candidate. Others have said I wasted my vote by giving it to someone who had no chance of winning, but I used it to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the major party nominees. If everyone else who felt the same way did so also, some change might actually occur.

That's how Jesse Ventura became the governor of Minnesota.

North Star

This is how Romney is going to win the election:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Opus106 on July 28, 2012, 05:11:56 AM
Don't you have a option in the U.S. where you can register your presence at the booth but not vote for any candidate? (Sort of like "None of the above".) Something like this.
Oohhhhhhh, hmm... last time I voted, I don't remember if there was an option. If there is, I will definitely vote for None of the Above. I would also like to draw a picture of a hand right next to it with a middle finger sticking up, but I think they are scanned and it won't read unless everything is bubbled in.

eyeresist

Quote from: Scots John on July 27, 2012, 06:11:28 AMScotland is NOT a province or a state, and cannot be considered so.  It is a NATION with its own history, education system, law, etc...I am glad you are in Australia having made that suggestion, as I would have to organise a jacobite posse to visit your premises to correct such an idea.  To suggest we should be a state or province, with England / London running the show, is more insulting than how things already are.

Ah, so it's proper Nationalism you're advocating. Good luck with that, it always ends well  ::)

Karl Henning

I've finally loaded the three Devo CDs I have onto my trusty mp3 player. No good reason why it's took this long; I've even got one of the discs loaded onto the car's "music box," FCOL.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2012, 03:58:26 AM
I've finally loaded the three Devo CDs I have onto my trusty mp3 player. No good reason why it's took this long; I've even got one of the discs loaded onto the car's "music box," FCOL.

Three? I hope it's the first three.

Karl Henning

Well, they are:

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo
Devo's Greatest
Something for Everyone

Is there aught on albums 2 & 3 whose omission from [my #2] is an offense against devolutionized taste & decency?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2012, 04:03:07 AM
Well, they are:

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo
Devo's Greatest
Something for Everyone

Is there aught on albums 2 & 3 whose omission from [my #2] is an offense against devolutionized taste & decency?

I would say, "YES!"

Karl Henning

Give me some color, dude, don't just throw a switch! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

You've not been booglarized yet, have you (baby)? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2012, 04:13:40 AM
You've not been booglarized yet, have you (baby)? ; )

Not as often as I should be.

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2012, 04:12:27 AM
Give me some color, dude, don't just throw a switch! : )

Color? You mean album images? Huh? Wha?

Titles:
Duty Now for the Future
Freedom of Choice

If you have the first three, you have the essential Devo albums though some may argue you don't need the second one--but it's SO devolved!!

Karl Henning

Well, I meant (and I admit I was unclear) what tracks from those albums are wofully omitted from the compilation.  But you're just pounding the table for both albums in their entirety, I perceive. Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . . ; )

Drat it, I expect you're right, and I need to reel those babies in.  Not this week, though: there must be discipline.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA