The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

The spell check is trying to change my Ockeghem to Orgasm.

eyeresist

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 01, 2012, 07:05:29 PM
The spell check is trying to change my Ockeghem to Orgasm.

Well, if music be the food of love, and all that.

Karl Henning

Spell-check is an ass.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

Does anyone on this forum like Glenn Gould?

kishnevi

Quote from: MN Dave on August 03, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
Does anyone on this forum like Glenn Gould?

No.  You are allowed to love him or to hate him, and you may if you please worship him, but you can never like him.

Personally,  I neither love nor hate him, and certainly don't worship him,  but I do in the main like the music he produced.

TheGSMoeller

eyeresist

Didn't realise that Picard facepalm was getting a workout!

eyeresist

It turns out my new black jeans are a lint magnet  :'(

Karl Henning

I thought he said chick magnet . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

eyeresist

mahler10th

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 03, 2012, 05:45:51 PM

How can you not like this guy?

Was he like that all the time?  I like eccentric folks like that.  They are good at what they do because everything outwith their passion doesn't count.

PaulR

This is the first summer in a long time I haven't gone to either Tanglewood or Glimmerglass Opera for a concert.  :(

mahler10th

Today I went to Blair Drummond Safari Park in...er...Scotland, and saw many creatures...performing Sea Lions,  Meerkats, Girrafes gawking down at us, Peacocks, Llamas, Bison, Camels and a pride of lions who quite fancied a munch on my physical wellbeing.  I went there with the Brain Injury Experience network based in Dumbarton, a group I am aligned with and hope to contribute to in the future, and to which my own experience matches. 
The most impressive thing, and presented with such style, was a young fully grown Sea Eagle.  Part of the park has an arrangement of auitorium seats - in front of them is a short stretch of green unto a Loch girthed by trees and fields with mountains beyond.  Honest.  0:)  It is as Scottish a landscape as you can imagine (except for distant Wind Farm machines).
A handler arrived in front on the green with the Loch behind her and tells us to look up to our left, because she doesn' have the bird, the bird is coming to her instead.  "Look over at the mountains to the left, just above the trees, " we are told.  We do.  At first there was nothing.  Then a gliding speck at the far end of the Loch against the sky became visible, it got closer, swooping with no wing movement, agitating a large group of seagulls roosting (or whatever) on the surface of the Loch - the seagulls scattered, and out of their white mist came, still gliding, a giant Eagle! So from just a speck on the sky above the Loch it had scared a bunch of seagulls shitless in the landscapes of Scottish mountain and forest,  swooped graceful onward and landed on the handlers glove, giant and true as it was, without ever once flapping a wing.
I feel like Robert The Bruce.  He had a spider that told him something.  I have a Sea Eagle.   :-\
Some pics I took of that Eagle for interested parties.  (Last pic is the scene, but it a species of Falcon not an eagle...this was before the eagle appeared)

Gurn Blanston

Quite an animal! I wasn't quite sure what exactly a Sea Eagle was, but now I look at yours and it looks all the world to me like a North American bird that we call a Golden Eagle, which is the other of our two, and actually the larger and more majestic in appearance.

Wind machines aren't a part of your natural habitat in Scotland? I thought they grew there and were merely harvested for use elsewhere. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 01, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
Well, if they made that Gurn guy a moderator, I figure I'm a shoe-in.

No, not until you can spell 'shoo-in' correctly. That was the determining factor for the last 2 mods....  :D

(believe me, Dave, you must be careful what you wish for!)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mahler10th

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 08, 2012, 12:18:59 PM
Quite an animal! I wasn't quite sure what exactly a Sea Eagle was, but now I look at yours and it looks all the world to me like a North American bird that we call a Golden Eagle, which is the other of our two, and actually the larger and more majestic in appearance.

Wind machines aren't a part of your natural habitat in Scotland? I thought they grew there and were merely harvested for use elsewhere. :)

8)

We have Golden Eagles and refer to them as such too.  But this was described as a Sea Eagle.   $:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scots John on August 08, 2012, 12:47:19 PM
We have Golden Eagles and refer to them as such too.  But this was described as a Sea Eagle.   $:)

Yes, I've heard of them too. In any case, I'd like to see that. Always admired birds, especially raptors. We have some great hawks here, and owls too, but eagles are thin in the air in these parts. :)

8)

mahler10th

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 08, 2012, 01:05:56 PM
Yes, I've heard of them too. In any case, I'd like to see that. Always admired birds, especially raptors. We have some great hawks here, and owls too, but eagles are thin in the air in these parts. :)

8)

Yes, its grim, they are few and far between here too.   :'(   I guess thats why I was so struck by its magnificent appearance.  I should have taken the RSNO with me to play "The Firebird" at the time, even though there wasn't a Firebird type thing going on...    :-\   :D

Opus106

Thanks for the terrific shots, John. :)

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 08, 2012, 01:05:56 PM
Always admired birds, especially raptors.
8)

Oh, I was in that phase when I was 8 or 9. After dinosaurs (thanks to JP), "birds of prey", as we were taught, mainly raptors, was always an exciting topic for me. :) Still do love looking at them... on Animal Planet (:().
Regards,
Navneeth

ibanezmonster

I was trying to do some basic stuff in Assembly Language, so I downloaded Flat Assembler.

One of the example programs was called "Beer." I ran it, and it popped up a message box, saying "Do you want an additional place to put your beer?" When I hit "Yes," my cd tray opened.  :o