The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Just got an email message from B&N.  If anything that Dan Brown has written is the book event of the year, that's part of the problem, isn't it?  I understand B&N thinking about it otherwise, since there is a limited time during which this book will be their industrial equivalent of a Big Mac Value Meal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PaulR

Never.....moving......again...........and this was only down the street!

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Yesterday I had an outing about my musical interests with some not-very-close friends - Their attention span lasted for about 12 seconds. I think this applied for all my interests, because nobody admires Shostakovich or plays clarinet, nobody listens to IDM music, nobody plays Arma or computer RPGs. But everybody goes to german "Schützenfest" with beer at 10 am etc. which is not my world or touches my heart. The (my close) societies least common denominator is just too often a waste of lifetime for me, which makes me angry. Good morning, misfits!

Karl Henning

Should formication be illegal?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2013, 09:19:55 AM
Should formication be illegal?

Do you mean
(1) the medical condition whereby itchy skin feels like insects are crawling over it?
or
(2) the practice of crawling around the floor like an ant?

Naturally, I think both should be illegal, but I'd just like to be clear before I call the police.

ibanezmonster

Since the Hooker thread was locked....

QuoteGet a haircut, shower, work out more if you're not in shape, wear nice clothes, (those are all things you should be doing anyway)
Done... okay... that doesn't really do anything...

Quotego to bars or clubs or any other place you wish to meet sexual partners at, and hit on women with low self-esteem.
What if your parents forbid you to go to bars because you live with them and can't afford to move out?
Either someone can tell me something I've been missing all along or society needs to invent something besides bars for this type of stuff.

Parsifal

Quote from: Greg on June 08, 2013, 10:37:12 AMWhat if your parents forbid you to go to bars because you live with them and can't afford to move out?
Either someone can tell me something I've been missing all along or society needs to invent something besides bars for this type of stuff.

If you can't pick up a woman at the supermarket you can't pick up a woman in a bar.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Parsifal on June 08, 2013, 12:32:13 PM
If you can't pick up a woman at the supermarket you can't pick up a woman in a bar.
Supermarket? That's not what a supermarket is for, silly!  ;D

Anyways, I thought about this all day today... probably it's just because I'm getting old (a few days ago my mom asked me (just reconfirming, I guess) if I even like girls). Seriously?...  :-\

So, I'm considering taking a few days off next month to stay in the Tampa/St.Petersburg area for a few nights (only a 2 hour drive, which is nice). We'll see what happens- I doubt anything will, but at least there will be more freedom in a large city I don't live in, rather than my small town, where everyone knows everyone else's business and you usually see people you know whenever you go somewhere. Also got a few suggestions about restaurants, etc., since everyone who goes there seems to love it.

I seriously dislike talking to strangers (that being my job doesn't help), and flirting I just can't do (I'd rather listen to Merzbow or nails on a chalkboard than flirt), so that's a challenge. I prefer keeping to myself quite to the extreme (I don't even make any attempts to talk (really, type) to other players in Final Fantasy 11, though some interact with me). I've even disabled chat on Facebook for a long time. Yet messaging that is not real time is fine for me (like this posting). Going to a bar and talking to a stranger would be so weird for me. But fat chicks are absolutely off-limits. Always. Just saying.

Never mind me... just getting older...   :P

ibanezmonster

Okay, this is how small my town is: I made a (incomplete, no picture, etc.) profile on match.com just to be able to use the search function out of curiosity. The very first page: someone I know. Wtf.  ???

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on June 07, 2013, 12:06:36 PM
Do you mean
(1) the medical condition whereby itchy skin feels like insects are crawling over it?
or
(2) the practice of crawling around the floor like an ant?

Naturally, I think both should be illegal, but I'd just like to be clear before I call the police.

I never even suspected the latter practice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PaulR

Quote from: Greg on June 08, 2013, 09:31:36 PM
Okay, this is how small my town is: I made a (incomplete, no picture, etc.) profile on match.com just to be able to use the search function out of curiosity. The very first page: someone I know. Wtf.  ???
What did you expect?  Be the only one from your town on the site?  :P

ibanezmonster

Ugh... saw this on Facebook...

It leaves out the part where they screw the jerk who arrives at the top of the tree and throws the nice guy off the tree, and then complain about the jerk abusing them and then saying that the nice guy wasn't really that nice because he was just being nice to them to get into their pants, even if he didn't mind being friends regardless.

Sure, there are exceptions to this rule, but this should not be the rule.

Quote from: PaulR on June 09, 2013, 06:07:20 AM
What did you expect?  Be the only one from your town on the site?  :P
I expected to not see anyone I know...  :-X

PaulR

Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2013, 07:51:59 AM
I expected to not see anyone I know...  :-X
Why?  Just curious.  (and I have seen two people that I know on okcupid.....an acquaintance of mine from both undergrad and grad school..........and a professor.  Both would be a "match" for me)

ibanezmonster

Quote from: PaulR on June 09, 2013, 07:57:30 AM
Why?  Just curious.  (and I have seen two people that I know on okcupid.....an acquaintance of mine from both undergrad and grad school..........and a professor.  Both would be a "match" for me)
Probably no logical reason. Just unexpected, since there are quite a few people in the world. I guess in reality, odds are that it's likely.

Parsifal

Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2013, 07:51:59 AM
Ugh... saw this on Facebook...

Congratulations, looks like you've found the female equivalent of yourself. 

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Parsifal on June 09, 2013, 10:56:41 AM
Congratulations, looks like you've found the female equivalent of yourself.
Thanks for inferring that I'm amazing, but I've actually done more than just wait before. Probably never was a good idea to even try, but when there are no options out there, you can always try your lack of options, despite predictable results, right?  :P

But... doesn't matter. In two months, I'll be too busy to even see friends or play video games regularly, so probably all the free time in summer (only 37 hours a week of business) is the only reason why I'm even pondering about girls in the first place.  :P (repetitive smiley)

Parsifal

Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2013, 11:11:22 AM
Thanks for inferring that I'm amazing

I didn't infer that anyone was amazing.  You found a female who also blames her social dysfunction on the everyone but herself.

PaulR

Quote from: Greg on June 09, 2013, 08:00:46 AM
Probably no logical reason. Just unexpected, since there are quite a few people in the world. I guess in reality, odds are that it's likely.
maybe it's a sign :P

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Parsifal on June 09, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
I didn't infer that anyone was amazing.
Reading through what it says...
oh, I didn't mention that it was posted by an older lady who is a mom (grandmom, I think, as well), not someone my age, if that's what you're saying.