The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on June 27, 2013, 05:03:38 AM
Yes, exactly. Guys need to stop the attitude of doing the first thing they can get and then bragging about it. It's not a game.
Oh, sorry. Shouldn't have said that. Now I'm stereotyping guys and everyone will get personally offended if they're not like this (I'm not).

There's a difference between "guys" and "every guy." For example, the last time an old, ignorant redneck told me that all black people are thieves, I wanted to punch his face in. If he brought up the actual percentage, I'd have no reason to suspect that he's racist.

Well, I better run off before I get stoned to death.  ::)

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 27, 2013, 05:12:10 AM
How about that Brazil vs Uruguay match yesterday?  8)

Our CIO took us to Fenway Park yesterday; before the game we all quaffed a beer at a nearby sports bar, and that game was on the other TV screen.

For that reason, it was only yesterday that it came to me, that there are three u's in Uruguay
:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2013, 04:56:28 AM
The key, then, is control of the willie.

This sounds reasonable.

ibanezmonster

Sorry if I'm going on about it, but I felt like looking through match.com and doing my own sort of survey of income desirability for who they are searching for.

For queries within a 50 mile radius of my area, I went through the first two pages of both women looking for men and men looking for women. I understand this is a small sample size, but I didn't want to spend all day doing this.

For both women and men, I listed anything that included "less than 25k" as a no.

QuoteWomen:
18 nos
50k+
50-75k
35k+
35k+
50k+
35k+
25-50k
35k+
75k-100k
35k+
35k+
50k+
75k+
50k+
75k+
35k+
25-35k

Men:
Quote32 nos
35k+
25-35k
25k+

And yes, it's best not to dwell on this, but I am just pointing out something that seems to be doubted here for some reason.

Parsifal

Quote from: Greg on June 27, 2013, 08:50:24 AMAnd yes, it's best not to dwell on this, but I am just pointing out something that seems to be doubted here for some reason.

The fact that a woman would consider a man's income as part of his suitability as a boyfriend or a life partner does not make her a "gold-digger."  It makes her a rational human who is not interested in a destructive relationship with a leech.   A reasonable income is a marker for a person who is responsible,  capable and focused.   The fact that you describe intimate relationships solely as an exchange of sexual gratification for money marks you as uttelry unsuitable and incapable of having a meaningful relationship with a woman. 

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Scarpia on June 27, 2013, 09:04:10 AM
The fact that a woman would consider a man's income as part of his suitability as a boyfriend or a life partner does not make her a "gold-digger."  It makes her a rational human who is not interested in a destructive relationship with a leech.   A reasonable income is a marker for a person who is responsible,  capable and focused.   The fact that you describe intimate relationships solely as an exchange of sexual gratification for money marks you as uttelry unsuitable and incapable of having a meaningful relationship with a woman.
So then it wouldn't be wrong for me if I made a profile indicating an income preference- it would actually be a good thing?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on June 27, 2013, 09:11:07 AM
So then it wouldn't be wrong for me if I made a profile indicating an income preference- it would actually be a good thing?

Realistic anyway. Two income earners are almost a must in the present economy unless one half of the relationship is making in excess of 50 grand.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 27, 2013, 10:07:42 AM
Realistic anyway. Two income earners is almost a must in the present economy unless one half of the relationship is making in excess of 50 grand.

Sarge
I personally don't think money should be an issue. Everyone for themselves. Looking for a relationship shouldn't have anything to do with money. I also don't feel it would be right for me to demand a certain salary for anyone else, regardless of how much I'm making.

But two unemployed people couldn't live together, true. Probably even if only one were unemployed. The way that the site has it set up, $25k is the lowest you can get. If I worked full time at my job, I'd only make $15k, and I've been there for almost 6 years. Huge disadvantage for anyone who hasn't finished school and got lucky enough to find a job (male or female).

PaulR

Fall semester finally completed!  Wooo!

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on June 27, 2013, 10:20:59 AM
I'd only make $15k
Correction: $12,168 ($9.19 an hour at 39 hours a week, after taxes and employer-provided basic health insurance)
(currently $650 a month at 25 hours a week)
At 75 hours a week, I would make $23,400, which is still under $25,000.

Quote from: PaulR on June 27, 2013, 10:55:07 AM
Fall semester finally completed!  Wooo!
Fall?  ???
Let me guess... time machine?

PaulR

No, I just took this semester off (long story) and took incompletes in two classes.  Just finished the 2nd paper to complete the class.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: PaulR on June 27, 2013, 12:50:11 PM
No, I just took this semester off (long story) and took incompletes in two classes.  Just finished the 2nd paper to complete the class.
"Incomplete" is a new one to me. Never knew that was even possible to resume a class later...

Karl Henning

If you post too seldom in the Today's Purchases thread, you might be mistaken for a former member . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Beorn

The contemplative life.

I wish.

Karl Henning

You can contemplate as often as you wish, having a free soul. Remember the Shed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Beorn

Quote from: karlhenning on July 03, 2013, 07:04:42 AM
You can contemplate as often as you wish, having a free soul. Remember the Shed!

I miss the Shed. Bring back the Shed!

I know, I know: the Shed is always with us. We are the Shed. Once you shed everything, there is only Shed.

Geo Dude

Quote from: karlhenning on July 02, 2013, 04:35:56 AM
If you post too seldom in the Today's Purchases thread, you might be mistaken for a former member . . . .

Speaking of which, Karl, I begin to fear that you've disappeared.;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr