The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 04, 2013, 09:23:32 AM
I think you want to use fading here.

I wish I might, but in this humidity, sure feels like melting . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2013, 09:57:43 AM
I wish I might, but in this humidity, sure feels like melting . . . .
Thank goodness the heatwave isn't here anymore - a month ago this was the hottest place in Europe.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
Someone posting on the Final Fantasy 11 Allakhazam forums. This is what happens when you forget that your character isn't actually you.

(picture of a Galka)

QuoteSomeday by my hands the Antican will be wiped cleaned from Our lands. Join with me brothers and let us take back Our home lands. I ask of the Square-Enix, allow us the Galka to unite and retake our lands. Justice must be served!

I will head your call to fight any and all Antica. Though I may be but a blip on their radar now, I will grow and I will fight until my very name drives fear into their Black Hearts and the site of a Mighty Galka is burned in fear into their collective. Until a ferocious terror is instilled within their evil souls so that none of their filthy race may walk Vana'diel without the fear of DEATH from above.

From the Heavens we shall cometh until our lands are cleansed of this scourge!

Seek me out within the land of Siren. Wear our pearl as a mark for all to see, "We stand united. Tomorrow will be OURS once more If your world is not mine then begin your own movement Brother. Establish your own "PrideoftheGalka" and set forth to spread thine word. Their time is up. OUR TIME IS NOW!!!

And then the responses:
"Wow, dude, wtf"
"I like the enthusiasm; would be nice if it could translated to actual gameplay"
"Ummm... it's just a game"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Greg on July 07, 2013, 06:24:20 PM
Probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
Someone posting on the Final Fantasy 11 Allakhazam forums. This is what happens when you forget that your character isn't actually you.

(picture of a Galka)

And then the responses:
"Wow, dude, wtf"
"I like the enthusiasm; would be nice if it could translated to actual gameplay"
"Ummm... it's just a game"

I've seen stuff like that in the WoW forums in the RolePlaying realms. People do take it very seriously.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 07, 2013, 06:28:43 PM
I've seen stuff like that in the WoW forums in the RolePlaying realms. People do take it very seriously.
Oh, boy.  ???
Well, with that many subscribers, there would likely be quite a few nutjobs.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Greg on July 07, 2013, 07:47:57 PM
Oh, boy.  ???
Well, with that many subscribers, there would likely be quite a few large number of nutjobs.

Fixed.  ;D

ibanezmonster

Another random funny post:
QuoteFor newest information you have to go to see world-wide-web
and on web I found this web site as a best web site for most up-to-date
updates.

(a comment from here):
http://www.mkyong.com/spring3/spring-3-hello-world-example/

Karl Henning

web web web web web baked beans and web
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Okay, so I had no idea that Mamma Mia! was the highest grossing film in the UK in 2008.

Now that I know, man, do I find that scary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 16, 2013, 11:12:17 AM
Okay, so I had no idea that Mamma Mia! was the highest grossing film in the UK in 2008.

Now that I know, man, do I find that scary.

That's really gross.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

PaulR

It may be too early to start planning for a trip to Pittsburgh in November, but it's fun to think about escaping BG for a bit. 

DavidW

I was walking my dog yesterday evening when it started to rain... ended up quickly having to turn back and race to shelter as it turned to a downpour.  Only when I got back inside did I realize that the music I was listening to was trying to warn me... as I heard Alice in Chains singing "I think it's gonna rain" in the chorus! ;D

Szykneij

Quote from: DavidW on July 29, 2013, 05:06:52 AM
I was walking my dog yesterday evening when it started to rain... ended up quickly having to turn back and race to shelter as it turned to a downpour.  Only when I got back inside did I realize that the music I was listening to was trying to warn me... as I heard Alice in Chains singing "I think it's gonna rain" in the chorus! ;D

Almost as appropriate as this one --

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on July 29, 2013, 05:24:17 AM
Almost as appropriate as this one --

Tell me about it, first thing Hershey did was jump up on my bed when we got out of the rain. ::)

kishnevi

Quote from: PaulR on July 20, 2013, 05:44:27 AM
It may be too early to start planning for a trip to Pittsburgh in November, but it's fun to think about escaping BG for a bit.

And I'm laying the groundwork for a trip next May, involving a visit to the sites of the Battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse, near Fredericksburg--about an hour south of Washington CD, in co-ordination with a group being led from Boston by my two uncles, both Civil War buffs.

I've discovered it will actually be more logical, and not much more money, to take the nine hour bus drive each way from Boston with the main group, compared to flying into Washington DC and meeting them at the hotel in Fredericksburg.    To get from Dulles or Reagan National Airports involves an intracity shuttle, Amtrack from Union Station,  and a taxi for the final leg from the railroad station to the hotel in Fredericksburg.  The alternative is a shuttle or limo service between DC and Fredericksburg that costs $100 each way.    Rent a car is possible, but not worthwhile, the rental merely sitting idle in the hotel parking lot for the two days I'm in Fredericksburg.  Plus I'd have to drive through/around DC, which I'm not thrilled with.

Unless one of you folks knows a better way of doing it....

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on July 30, 2013, 12:12:53 PM
Has there been any report on what her motive was?

I've not heard.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 30, 2013, 01:53:11 PM
And I'm laying the groundwork for a trip next May, involving a visit to the sites of the Battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse, near Fredericksburg--about an hour south of Washington CD, in co-ordination with a group being led from Boston by my two uncles, both Civil War buffs.

I've discovered it will actually be more logical, and not much more money, to take the nine hour bus drive each way from Boston with the main group, compared to flying into Washington DC and meeting them at the hotel in Fredericksburg.    To get from Dulles or Reagan National Airports involves an intracity shuttle, Amtrack from Union Station,  and a taxi for the final leg from the railroad station to the hotel in Fredericksburg.  The alternative is a shuttle or limo service between DC and Fredericksburg that costs $100 each way.    Rent a car is possible, but not worthwhile, the rental merely sitting idle in the hotel parking lot for the two days I'm in Fredericksburg.  Plus I'd have to drive through/around DC, which I'm not thrilled with.

Unless one of you folks knows a better way of doing it....

Ah-ha! In Boston again. Perhaps this time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I would pay for the shuttle.  Sounds about the same price as renting a car without the stress and hassle of driving in DC.  The first method sounds like if you were too late for any one stretch it would put a dent in your plan.  And even if that doesn't happen, it sounds stressful to me.  Sounds like a cool vacation (except for the horrible heat and humidity).  Good luck!

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on July 30, 2013, 03:46:16 PM
I would pay for the shuttle.  Sounds about the same price as renting a car without the stress and hassle of driving in DC.  The first method sounds like if you were too late for any one stretch it would put a dent in your plan.  And even if that doesn't happen, it sounds stressful to me.  Sounds like a cool vacation (except for the horrible heat and humidity).  Good luck!

The advantage to taking the bus from Boston is that I'll be able to see my relatives up there for a day or so after the Fredericksburg segment is over.  Of course, I could stay a couple of nights in DC and see some of the sights there properly;  been there only once, as a kid.  It's probably changed a little since then.

However.
Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2013, 03:05:20 PM

Ah-ha! In Boston again. Perhaps this time.

Actually, less than likely; I'd only stay long enough to see my aunts and cousins--maybe only a day or so extra (fly up on Wednesday, spend Thursday to Sunday on the Civil War segment,  spend Monday visiting relatives,  fly back on Tuesday, no later than Wednesday).  There is however the fact that I now know the MBTA bus through Belmont has a stop at the end of the block on which my uncle lives, so I intend to make less use of the relatives as drivers.

Of course, since it's the week after Mother's Day, I may not be able to take off enough time, and all this will turn into daydreaming.