The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

In my experience (now 23 years with the same store),  people in their 30s and 40s are the ones most inclined to throw temper tantrums.  People under 30 and people over 60 are almost always polite.

But the only sure pattern is that temper tantrum customers always seem to have been spoiled, by parents or spouses.

Quote from: Todd on October 01, 2013, 09:53:54 AM
I was reminded of Mencken's quip The older I get the more I admire and crave competence, just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology a couple days ago, when I went to the post office to buy stamps, and the post office ran out of stamps.

??? ??? ???

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 01, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
In my experience (now 23 years with the same store),  people in their 30s and 40s are the ones most inclined to throw temper tantrums.  People under 30 and people over 60 are almost always polite.
Wow, interesting. Pretty close to my experience. I suppose the number of old people who have temper tantrums for me is much higher because probably half of my customers are over 60.

I wonder if it's a generational or an age thing.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 01, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
But the only sure pattern is that temper tantrum customers always seem to have been spoiled, by parents or spouses.
For sure. People like that develop a sense of entitlement and a snobbish attitude.

While on the subject, I could share this:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/22588012/the-talker-woman-goes-on-vile-rant-against-dunkin-donuts-employee

I watched the video, once, uncomfortably. Of course, I am against violence against women, but this young lady is clearly a psycopath and deserves a severe beating and at least a year of forced labor at a place like Dunkin Doughnuts.

ibanezmonster

I have to laugh at my "Underrated Composers" thread. Leave it to this forum generate long, heated discussions about one word. It was not intended to be taken so seriously. I made it just so people could list composers they feel should be more recognized. It's all just personal opinions and not that complex...  ::)

Szykneij

This post for me is number 1955, which coincides with the year of my birth. Perhaps I should play the lottery?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Szykneij on October 02, 2013, 02:24:57 AM
This post for me is number 1955, which coincides with the year of my birth. Perhaps I should play the lottery?

Congratulations on being born. The odds against it were staggering! If my pop hadn't accidently met a certain girl at a malt shop in 1948, I wouldn't be here.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 02, 2013, 02:45:17 AM
Congratulations on being born. The odds against it were staggering! If my pop hadn't accidently met a certain girl at a malt shop in 1948, I wouldn't be here.

Sarge
And what about the probability of the exact cells meeting later on ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 02, 2013, 02:59:43 AM
And what about the probability of the exact cells meeting later on ;)

A billion to one?  :D

Sarge

mahler10th

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 02, 2013, 02:45:17 AM
Sarge

$:)
The latest calculated odds show the probability of your existing at all represented here:

http://i.imgur.com/Dub8k.png

QuoteThe number of Atoms in the known Universe is about 10 to the power of 80.
The chances of you being born are 10 to the power of 2,685,000.   :o
Chances of you existing therefore is about zero.

QuoteSo what's the probability of your existing?  It's the probability of 2 million people getting together – about the population of San Diego – each to play a game of dice with trillion-sided dice. They each roll the dice, and they all come up the exact same number – say, 550,343,279,001.

Against all this, we are all on GMG.   ???

Karl Henning

That fateful malt shop . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scots John on October 02, 2013, 03:51:17 AM
$:)
The latest calculated odds show the probability of your existing at all represented here:

http://i.imgur.com/Dub8k.png

Against all this, we are all on GMG.   ???

So my one in a billion was wildly optimistic!  :D

Sarge

Opus106

Q: What do lawyers and sperm have in common?

A: One in 50 million have a chance of becoming human.

Regards,
Navneeth

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 02:42:08 AM
Aren't you a treat, my dear?
As if that wasn't taken out of context...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 05:40:43 AM
What's that supposed to mean?  ;D
Well, I had written that out of the demographics of customers that tend to throw hissy fits the most, it's older people- a bit more often older ladies. I also wrote in the next sentence that "the vast majority of old people are very nice and I make friends with people of any age."

I also went on to mention that my perspective may be flawed because of the extremely high proportion of old customers compared to young customers that I get, which is why I asked for people who deal with people in a... slightly less retirement-like community. Actually, that would be practically any other place in the country.

ibanezmonster

My point isn't to say bad stuff about old people, but that appearances on the outside are often the opposite of how people really are. I would get the impression that a young guy with tattoos may be some entitled jerk, but most often they are the most polite customers I get.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Annie on October 02, 2013, 06:05:42 AM
You are a sweet kid.
Thanks.

I also noticed that the demographic most likely to steal is middle aged (40s or so). I don't think I've seen one old person steal a thing. I haven't seen a young person steal anything, either, but it's probably because they're too busy stealing from other places, like the mall.  :P

modUltralaser

Damn. Clancy's dead. :-(

mn dave

You talking about Tom Clancy?

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

Quote from: mn dave on October 03, 2013, 06:07:54 PM
Yeah, kind of young too. 66, right?

Yep, and I also think it was unexpected.