The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: sanantonio on October 31, 2013, 05:13:54 AM
Recently, I've been listening to two YouTube clips at the same time.  This morning, I combined John Cage's Seven (1988) with Stockhausen's Simmung.  Nice; you should try it.

That's the one Stockhausen piece I've heard that I really do like.

kishnevi

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2013, 08:42:12 AM
This is me.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/problems-only-introverts-will-understand

Fortunately, I escape most of those problems through the simple solution of having no friends.  (If this sounds like something to worry over,  it's not--for me at least. I'm autistic, and apparently extremely introverted even by the standards of the autistic spectrum, and function just fine this way.  I've pared my life down to have some long distance friendships with whom Facebook is a good connection, and people in physical proximity  with whom I'm friendly, but who are not friends, and who could depart from my life with much goodwill to them, but no sense of loss.  The only complication is family, but I suppose family is a constant. )

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 01, 2013, 05:46:33 PM
Fortunately, I escape most of those problems through the simple solution of having no friends.  (If this sounds like something to worry over,  it's not--for me at least. I'm autistic, and apparently extremely introverted even by the standards of the autistic spectrum, and function just fine this way.  I've pared my life down to have some long distance friendships with whom Facebook is a good connection, and people in physical proximity  with whom I'm friendly, but who are not friends, and who could depart from my life with much goodwill to them, but no sense of loss.  The only complication is family, but I suppose family is a constant. )
Interesting. I would probably have to go to that extreme if I had some job where I worked 70+ hours a week... now, I have one friend that I see about 3-4 days a month and a few that I like to see every now and then. I suppose the time I want to spend with friends is just directly relative to how much free time I have for myself. Myself > friends > strangers

It's funny how when I'm at work and during certain parts of the year at night (such as now) business is extremely slow and people say that I'm "lonely" outside. Except I don't even know what the word "lonely" feels like. It's so much more fun doing nothing but thinking than talking to strangers about pointless uninteresting stuff. Sometimes I can't stop laughing at the silly stuff I think of. Perhaps I'll just be honest and say that I hate people and laugh evilly.  >:D

Also, 11 is the only faulty assessment- "we" don't (willingly) go to parties to begin with.

ibanezmonster

Well, apparently the last of the cute girls at my work (which employs probably over 100 people) is gone. I remember at one point working with 5 of them.  :P So there will be nothing good to look at for a while...

Karl Henning

Shoulda added a smiley . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

I don't know how many of y'all get the eClassical newsletter, but the blurbs written by Robert von Bahr are a hoot. Recently he carped that he didn't have any clue why his artists had wanted to record a CD (Handel's Water Music), and today he revealed that when he built his new house, he made sure it would have its very own private concert hall.

Szykneij

Quote from: sanantonio on November 15, 2013, 09:15:22 AM
I just thought of a solution to the Washington Redskins controversy in which everyone will get what they want: leave the nickname alone but change the logo.

Instead of this:

Change it to this:

A blissful suggestion!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ibanezmonster

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on November 20, 2013, 07:06:10 AM
Luke is in the building again . . . . !!!

Only for a moment, and the moment's gone . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The ability to dispute a parking ticket on line. I love this town!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

I had a dream that a reporter thought I was Leon Fleisher and started asking me questions about my music - the first was, "how do you feel about the recording process? How much of a perfectionist are you?" Most bafflingly, somebody then told the reporter that I was Leon Fleisher and that I was one of the greatest pianists in the world. So I started answering the question, making up an answer based on what I thought I knew about him.

At one point I said "Which is why I've never recorded any live albums." Then, the next day, in the dream, I'm walking around and who should I see but an angry Leon Fleisher, who wants to know why I was impersonating him in an interview. He also wants to know why I lied about there being no live recording when his debut album was a live concert recital.

(When I woke up just now I checked the Complete Fleisher box set... no live recordings, so far as I can tell.)

I also remember emphatically saying pyANNist every time, rather then PEE-uh-nist.

TheGSMoeller

I would rather be pissed off, than pissed on.

Wanderer

Quote from: sanantonio on October 31, 2013, 05:13:54 AM
Recently, I've been listening to two YouTube clips at the same time.  Nice; you should try it.

I've been doing this for years. It's like brewing your very own, home-made Stockhausen8)

Karl Henning

Even better when you brew it at home!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

This article is great info about how certain games (like MMORPGs) is engineered to get you addicted. I'm reminded of it now that I'm going to stop playing Final Fantasy 11, which is known to be one of the most addictive games out there. Feels like something huge will be gone from me. It really does fulfill the desires that are absent in real life; mainly, the sense of exploration and the sense of achievement (especially short term goals). And the thing is, the achievements are more fulfilling than real life; for example, if I do good on exams next week, I'll graduate with a 3.84 GPA. Sounds like I should feel some fulfillment from that, but I really don't, because in the end, school is just work to impress future people so they can make you do other work. It's not something you do because you want to because it sounds fun, so the accomplishment is only functional, rather than fulfilling.

I did take a month off from it when I played Final Fantasy 5 and 6, so it's possible to quit, but may require substitution, like substituting gum for cigarettes or something.  :P

Wanderer

Quote from: karlhenning on November 25, 2013, 01:51:21 AM
Even better when you brew it at home!

Spoken like a connoisseur8)

Karl Henning

With all the changes to Facebook over the years, probably what remains its consistently strange feature is the "Suggested Pokes."  And I'll never know if it's suggesting on my behalf, or for the benefit of those others whom I'd never poke even if you got down on your lousy, stinkin', purulent knees and begged me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

Anyone hear about fast food workers organizing to ask for the minimum wage to rise to $15/hour?  ???

I definitely think it should be higher than it is now and I think fast food workers really deserve at least $30/hour, but realistically I think it should be about $10/hour. Either they are retarded or they're just trying to haggle with the government to get it to ~$10/hour.  :P