ibanezmonster

I'm white and uptight.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

I've been getting about 5 hours of sleep each night for the last 2 weeks, and surprisingly, it actually works. It feels so much better because I have more free time (to play my game) and doing other stuff isn't so painful now. Averaging 3-4 extra hours a day is a huge improvement. The downside is that my eyes always burn and right now, not sure what is wrong because I got cold and am still freezing for several hours even though I should have warmed up a long time ago.

North Star

5 hours of sleep is too little, even if you sort of get used to it. You could do better in the game too, if your eyes didn't burn. Oh, and the sleeping more would also help to keep you warm. Try sleeping for seven hours per day, and if you still feel tired or have burning eyes, sleep more..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2014, 08:48:23 PM
5 hours of sleep is too little, even if you sort of get used to it. You could do better in the game too, if your eyes didn't burn. Oh, and the sleeping more would also help to keep you warm. Try sleeping for seven hours per day, and if you still feel tired or have burning eyes, sleep more..
I'll probably end up doing something like that soon, since the 5 hours I might not do long-term.
Not as extreme as someone I know, though. He used to sleep 4 hours a night every single day for years (working 7 days a week). Now that he's older, he can't any more.  (He's a really nice guy, though, didn't seem like bragging to me)...

Quote from: Greg on February 09, 2014, 06:15:44 PM
not sure what is wrong because I got cold and am still freezing for several hours even though I should have warmed up a long time ago.
I ended up throwing up nearly 10 times last night. And it's funny timing, because yesterday evening I had to help clean up a kid's throwup.  ;D
Not nauseous now, but I slept nearly 12 hours and am extremely dizzy. Oh, the crazy thoughts and dreams you have when you are sick are priceless. I'm going to intentionally remember them from now on.

kishnevi

Of course, there's always examples to counter.  This man (on the evidence of his sons) limited his sleep to four thirty minute intervals every twenty four hours, and became one of the most influential rabbis of all time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilna_Gaon
To the best of my knowledge, he is not related to Gidon the violinist.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 10, 2014, 08:57:28 AM
Of course, there's always examples to counter.  This man (on the evidence of his sons) limited his sleep to four thirty minute intervals every twenty four hours, and became one of the most influential rabbis of all time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilna_Gaon
To the best of my knowledge, he is not related to Gidon the violinist.
Sounds similar to the Uberman sleep schedule, which is 6 20 minute naps, I believe...

mn dave

I fell asleep once.

It was awful.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mn dave on February 11, 2014, 11:59:38 AM
I fell asleep once.

It was awful.

Well, I'm glad you woke up, Star Man.  ;)

North Star

So, is our resident Winnipegger going to participate?
I have of course always cycled to school/uni always during the winter.

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on February 10, 2014, 08:47:55 AM
I ended up throwing up nearly 10 times last night.
That was weird. Sick for one night and too tired/disoriented to do much that day, yet yesterday I felt like I'd never been sick. That's like a record in getting better for me, usually it takes quite a while.

Quote from: North Star on February 11, 2014, 09:02:19 PM
I have of course always cycled to school/uni always during the winter.
Then there's GMG's Joe Campbell... who bikes home... from university... all the way across Canada...
maybe that's what we should be participating in...

The Six

The chances of two people in a group of 23 having the same birthday is around 50 percent.
Consider 2 people. The odds that they do NOT have the same birthday is 364/365. Now add a third. The probability that person doesn't have the same birthday as the other two who don't have the same birthday is 363/365. So the probability of three people NOT having a birthday pair is (364 / 365) * (363/365).

Just extend that out and the probability of NOT having a birthday pair in a group of 23 is (364 / 365) * (363/365) * ... * (344 / 365) * (343/365) = 0.493

Then the probability of having a birthday pair is 1 - the probability of not having a birthday pair. So 1 - 0.493 = 0.507 ~= 50%

ibanezmonster

Another round of my favorite thing in the world to watch for 15 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ucSKdCbteMQ

Every time after I watch this... just no words, it feels like I've been been transported to a different place that makes everything else seem completely insignificant in comparison. I actually have to remember to breathe.

Maybe one day I'll watch something that amazes me almost as much as this, maybe...

ibanezmonster

I guy I used to work with just got busted for trying to solicit sex from a minor (14 year old) and traveling to meet them in a fake police operation which involved 22 arrests in the area. He turns 26 tomorrow (Valentine's Day birthday, and just a few months younger than me).
(interesting side note: another person arrested works at the only strip club I actually know of, though of course haven't been to)

In the video, he is standing there looking nervous and then is tackled by 5 police officers at once. Not the type of person you'd ever expect to commit a crime. He was probably the nicest guy I worked with, but always had difficulties with women. Several years ago he dated a girl who was a bit older (29 at the time) and she left him; ever since then, he's faced constant rejection and severe frustration. I'm not sure why, since he seems like the type of guy women would like, but then again, I'm not female, so idk. If he's ever had sex before, it's only within the past 3 years. I just have a feeling he wouldn't have ended up like this if he somehow managed to have a solid relationship.

ibanezmonster

Well, after finishing my first phase of Final Fantasy 11, I'm going back to studying Japanese. And I'll have to make it a full time job, likewise. The language is no joke, unlike Spanish or Portuguese.

North Star

Thousand days of GMG, thanks for helping me to spend a lot of time & money.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

We're here for you, Karlo :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Idle thought that crossed my mind this weekend while browsing tablets.

Being wireless is now a sine qua non for being fully wired.

Karl Henning

snypsss, your filtration mechanism misses you badly, please come home . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

I generally don't read USA Today, but an article from yesterday about expanding the EITC caught my eye.  So did this sentence:

With the expansion, about 500 million people's incomes will lifted above the poverty line, and about 3.3 million young workers — ages 21 to 24 — would become eligible.

Spell check doesn't always cut it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya