The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 10, 2014, 06:30:15 PM
More agitated, yet still politely: *ahem*
There is the cool jazz discussion, so the word cool has been used a lot lately here.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Someone should make a title for a piece of music out of this..
Quote from: James on May 10, 2014, 05:14:38 PMHow are the notes sounded if they aren't attacked in some way?

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 11, 2014, 12:37:32 AM
Someone should make a title for a piece of music out of this..
I vote for Feldman! I heard a BBC podcast on his "Extensions III" for piano and this is apparently what makes the piece difficult. He doesn't want the attack -- just the sound after the attack.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on May 11, 2014, 12:25:13 AM
There is the cool jazz discussion, so the word cool has been used a lot lately here.
You might like Cool Jazz Nate. It sems to be the exact apotheosis of what I hate.  :)

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2014, 08:56:12 AM
You might like Cool Jazz Nate. It sems to be the exact apotheosis of what I hate.  :)
Lame jazz?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 11, 2014, 12:30:52 PM
Lame jazz?
Kind of Blue
I seem to be the only one here who dislikes, or rather the only one who doesn't seem to actually worship  ??? ;), this soundtrack for the third circle of hell. I am curious to see what your reaction would be.
It's on youtube but I like you so no link.  ;D

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2014, 02:18:19 PM
Kind of Blue
I seem to be the only one here who dislikes, or rather the only one who doesn't seem to actually worship  ??? ;), this soundtrack for the third circle of hell. I am curious to see what your reaction would be.
It's on youtube but I like you so no link.  ;D
I'm beginning to think you should have joined the Bad Music Guide instead18)

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on May 11, 2014, 03:20:55 PM
GMG does double duty! You see what John and James are posting these days?  >:D :laugh:

amw

I have to say this actually sounds amazing:
QuoteIn 1997, artists Komar and Melamid and composer Dave Soldier released The Most Unwanted Song, designed after surveying 500 people to determine the lyrical and musical elements that were the most annoying. These elements included bagpipes, cowboy music, an opera singer rapping, and a children's choir that urged listeners to go shopping at Wal-Mart. "The most unwanted music is over 25 minutes long, veers wildly between loud and quiet sections, between fast and slow tempos...with each dichotomy presented in abrupt transition."

EigenUser

Well, apparently (according to Karl) Saul called Karl's viola sonata "the worst viola sonata in the world", so I suppose that's a start. In fact, if you google (with the quotes) "the worst viola sonata", you only get results from GMG. That has to say something.

By the way, he really should make that the subtitle of the piece. I'm not a big fan of "instrument+piano" music, but even I'm intrigued!

North Star

Quote from: amw on May 11, 2014, 03:44:06 PM
I have to say this actually sounds amazing:
I recall that this has been discussed before here, but yes, it's quite an achievement.
Quote from: EigenUser on May 11, 2014, 03:47:33 PM
Well, apparently (according to Karl) Saul called Karl's viola sonata "the worst viola sonata in the world", so I suppose that's a start. In fact, if you google (with the quotes) "the worst viola sonata", you only get results from GMG. That has to say something.
But perhaps not about the work, but of Saul Dzorelashvili instead. . .

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Ah.... where to begin...
anyone ever have odd and terrifying things wrong with their body and then figure out how to fix them by yourself?

I can think of two past examples I've experienced. The first one is having my foot lock up, first noticed when I was a teenager. The solution, I discovered, was to just force into normal position. It reoccurs from time to time, but now I know what to do.

The second happened about a year ago. I had clogged ears for some unknown reason, and it lasted several weeks. Constant crackling, beyond annoying. I even scheduled an appointment to the ENT, but I would have to wait a long time for the appointment, so I experimented with something myself in the meantime: I poured water down my ears. Seems dangerous, but it worked. Cancelled the appointment.

The third thing is something I just found the solution to tonight. Sometimes when I bend over and twist around slightly, it feels like my rib cage becomes misaligned. Obviously it isn't that, but it feels that way. It usually goes away within a few minutes; however, tonight, it lasted over an hour until I bent over, lifting boxes while tightening my abs. I've tried it two more times since I've gotten home and it works. I'm just not sure why this is happening, and it's pretty bad because I can't even take a full breath because of the pain of moving around in a certain way. It would be a disability if I had that all the time. I first noticed it from time to time sometime last year when awkwardly stretching to wash my hair, but the last few days it's been reoccurring way more than usual.

Todd

Over the past couple months or so, I've caught a few episodes of the rebooted Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson.  The obviously lavish production has relied heavily on animation, including some rather poorly done mini-bios, and in these bits the writers and host have been careful to take swipes at those who question science.  So far, so-so.  A couple times the show melodramatically referred to the Hall of Extinction (or some such), and how human activity could lead to that outcome, and so on.  But last night, near the end of the show, the presentation tipped over into outright propaganda.  While again discussing environmental catastrophe, as the host warned about the attractive words of so-called deniers, images of Mussolini and Hitler appeared on screen, and while advocating following better examples, more intelligent examples, images of MLK and Gandhi and Einstein flashed across the screen.  This was all very scientific and not at all political, of course.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on May 19, 2014, 06:10:14 AM
Over the past couple months or so, I've caught a few episodes of the rebooted Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson.  The obviously lavish production has relied heavily on animation, including some rather poorly done mini-bios, and in these bits the writers and host have been careful to take swipes at those who question science.  So far, so-so.  A couple times the show melodramatically referred to the Hall of Extinction (or some such), and how human activity could lead to that outcome, and so on.  But last night, near the end of the show, the presentation tipped over into outright propaganda.  While again discussing environmental catastrophe, as the host warned about the attractive words of so-called deniers, images of Mussolini and Hitler appeared on screen, and while advocating following better examples, more intelligent examples, images of MLK and Gandhi and Einstein flashed across the screen.  This was all very scientific and not at all political, of course.

Hitler and the NSDAP were actually outspoken environmentalists. Just saying.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on May 14, 2014, 07:23:20 PM
it feels like my rib cage becomes misaligned.
After forcefully pressing down on my left ribcage for a few days, eventually the problem went away. Saves having to go to the chiropractor.

But now... gonna have to carry around Aspirin all day. Back to just studying Japanese in my free time.  :-X

ibanezmonster

https://www.youtube.com/v/n-B_kmAebbQ

Watching this Vice series. Very interesting and is one of those video series that always provokes the question of how these kids can be so messed up- like what are the causes and solutions?

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

If composers are influenced by their natural environment, you'd think my influences would be sunny beaches and swamps? Nah!  :D

Being the lightning capital of the country, Florida can have some pretty sick storms. Maybe not Central Africa-like intensity, but still pretty sick. Perhaps that has seeped into my subconscious over the years (frighteningly intense tornados and storms have, certainly, been common in my dreams). Not sure how common an entirely black sky is in other places, but I've seen it plenty here. Apocalypic-like stuff. I like music that brings to mind that type of imagery, too.

A google image search of florida storms:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=965&q=nasty+looking+storm&oq=mikuru&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1649.1988.0.2340.4.4.0.0.0.0.112.343.1j3.4.0....0...1ac.1.42.img..1.3.230.-O5WC7sJUyQ#q=florida+storm&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Moonfish

Quote from: Greg on May 30, 2014, 10:03:57 AM
If composers are influenced by their natural environment, you'd think my influences would be sunny beaches and swamps? Nah!  :D

Being the lightning capital of the country, Florida can have some pretty sick storms. Maybe not Central Africa-like intensity, but still pretty sick. Perhaps that has seeped into my subconscious over the years (frighteningly intense tornados and storms have, certainly, been common in my dreams). Not sure how common an entirely black sky is in other places, but I've seen it plenty here. Apocalypic-like stuff. I like music that brings to mind that type of imagery, too.

A google image search of florida storms:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=965&q=nasty+looking+storm&oq=mikuru&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1649.1988.0.2340.4.4.0.0.0.0.112.343.1j3.4.0....0...1ac.1.42.img..1.3.230.-O5WC7sJUyQ#q=florida+storm&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Surely you are more influenced by the virtual worlds (such as FF14) than your natural environment? Hmm, this year - how many hours have you spent in a virtual world versus being outside in the natural environment?  Just asking...   ::) ::)  >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé