The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

I was attacked by my car today. I was driving, fortunately with little traffic and not overly fast, when the hood popped up and smashed the windshield. Interestingly I was quite calm throughout --I tend to be when things go wrong -- but hours later and at home I am feeling a bit rattled. Very lucky really it happened when it did rather than on the highway. The replacement hood latch costs a lot more than the windshield!

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on July 29, 2014, 02:13:31 PM
I was attacked by my car today. I was driving, fortunately with little traffic and not overly fast, when the hood popped up and smashed the windshield. Interestingly I was quite calm throughout --I tend to be when things go wrong -- but hours later and at home I am feeling a bit rattled. Very lucky really it happened when it did rather than on the highway. The replacement hood latch costs a lot more than the windshield!
Woah! Glad to hear everything is okay -- other than the cost of repair, of course.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 29, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Woah! Glad to hear everything is okay -- other than the cost of repair, of course.
Yes, need to cut back on CD buying for a while ... :(

Karl Henning

Glad you're all right!

Some years ago, after a minor fender-bender, our hood didn't look all that unusual, but we had to have it replaced.  We were warned ahead of time that driving it in that condition created a risk of the hood flying open.  Again, greatly relieved to know you're unharmed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

I'm a little bit creeped out...
one of the managers told me about a lady that complained to her about me "winking at and flirting at her every time she comes in."  ???
They laughed at her at first but the lady said that she's serious and found it upsetting. I told the manager that if I even had the personality type to flirt with a random stranger, I'd at least target someone in my age group (this lady is supposedly older and "didn't look like my type"). She said that the lady probably has an interest in me, since they at least know that would be extremely uncharacteristic of me.

If this lady confronts me, I'll pretend I have a girlfriend named Yui Hirasawa.  ;)

PaulR

Toledo is under a state of emergency due to toxins from algae found in the water supply. 

Thankfully, I am 20 miles south of Toledo and not effected. 

Ken B

Oh this is really disturbing and unsettling. It's Bad Romance arranged to sound like a music box. And I find it fascinating and disturbing. Spotify https://play.spotify.com/track/2oHHpjpmFzPJp9ZysvicZc
The group is Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

So Toni Tennille served the Captain divorce papers this year, after 39 years of marriage?  "I wasn't serious about that 'in sickness and in health' jazz...."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on August 10, 2014, 09:10:45 AM
So Toni Tennille served the Captain divorce papers this year, after 39 years of marriage?  "I wasn't serious about that 'in sickness and in health' jazz...."

Young and beautiful
Someday your looks will be gone
When the others turn you off
Who'll be turning you on

Not Toni. I'll never listen to Love Will Keep Us Together again!   :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ibanezmonster

Check out my group post to my UCF program that I have to send on my one week off from year-round work and full-time school:

QuoteDoes anyone know how long it takes for a hold to be dropped on before you can be register for a class? I had enrolled in 4 classes several months ago, and for no reason I am not enrolled anymore in CEN 4802 or PSC 1121. It won't let me register now because of the hold.

As for this hold, it is one that shouldn't even be there. It is saying that I didn't pay for summer classes, yet I obviously did, with proof from my bank account. I tried to e-mail ucf financial aid and they said it might be 5-7 days before a response, time I obviously don't have. I tried to call. I can't get anyone on the phone because it's always on hold.

So I paid the $1250 that I didn't even owe so that the hold would be gone so that I could enroll in those two classes that I already enrolled in and the hold isn't gone yet, so I can't enroll in them. So how do I get into these classes now?

I don't think UCF could be more creative in being messed up if they tried. (and I also found my summer classes receipt in my e-mail)

ibanezmonster

At 6 am, probably 30 min of lightning striking extremely close to the house at the rate of about once per minute (twice per minute if including distant lightning). I probably would have been dead by now if I were walking around outside in the neighborhood during that time.

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on August 15, 2014, 09:21:56 AM
At 6 am, probably 30 min of lightning striking extremely close to the house at the rate of about once per minute (twice per minute if including distant lightning). I probably would have been dead by now if I were walking around outside in the neighborhood during that time.

See.. sleeping in is healthy! :)

ibanezmonster

Introducing Mahler to my friend... starting with a nice beginner piece: the first movement of the 9th!  ;D

He really liked the Rite of Spring but seriously doesn't like anything classical or baroque. He hasn't tried out Romanticism yet.

Will be interesting to see what he thinks of it...

EigenUser

Quote from: Greg on August 20, 2014, 07:16:45 PM
Introducing Mahler to my friend... starting with a nice beginner piece: the first movement of the 9th!  ;D

He really liked the Rite of Spring but seriously doesn't like anything classical or baroque. He hasn't tried out Romanticism yet.

Will be interesting to see what he thinks of it...

You should show him some Bartok or Ligeti. I've had a few non-classical friends who were absolutely blown away by these guys, particularly the latter.

Also, a friend of mine was completely enchanted by the Forlane from Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians is another big hit.

From what I can tell, non-classical listeners seem to react more positively to modern. Interestingly, longtime classical listeners who haven't heard modern classical are more likely to dislike it, at least at first (probably because it breaks "rules").
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on August 21, 2014, 12:42:13 AM
You should show him some Bartok or Ligeti.
I will, eventually.

mn dave

Ken B

Quote from: Mn Dave on August 21, 2014, 06:26:56 AM
Carcass
Huh? I understand the typical snyprrr post better than that ...  :)