The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Really hope I don't find out any bad news... a few days ago my friend apparently walked right off the job without telling anyone and went home, never to come back. I can only imagine two scenarios: either someone said something really, really mean to him or something really bad happened to a family member. I talked to him about an hour ago on the phone and he just totally avoided the subject when I asked. Didn't sound like he was doing too well- always extremely easygoing. Hasn't answered anyone else's calls and didn't even know it was me calling...

ibanezmonster

My county had the widest margin in the state of favoring Republican Rick Scott for Florida governor... kinda unsurprising. It's the land of retired rednecks...

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Karl Henning

Do rednecks ever really retire?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2014, 02:12:01 AM
Do rednecks ever really retire?

Every night, to the couch with a cold Budweiser.

Karl Henning

Life is too short to drink Budweiser!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2014, 03:04:00 AM
Life is too short to drink Budweiser!
Unless you're talking about the actual Budějovický Budvar, aka Czechvar.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

TheGSMoeller

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 09, 2014, 01:55:48 PM
MONSTER Energy drinks are the work of SATAN
I'm waiting until she realizes that St. Peter is the devil, since he wanted an inverted cross.

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

http://www.youtube.com/v/bntfUA6TmLs
Wow. If you play that backwards it says Paul is dead.

ibanezmonster

It's certainly the most metal energy drink, so maybe that's why it's my favorite...

The new erato

Quote from: North Star on November 05, 2014, 04:42:34 AM
Unless you're talking about the actual Budějovický Budvar, aka Czechvar.
Which is sold under the name Budweiser in Europe as the US Budweiser (as far as I understand) lost the right to the Budweiser name in Europe. Now I can finbally drink Budweiser.

ibanezmonster

Anyone watch the newest South Park episode? I got my dad to watch it since he's tried the Oculus Rift as well, and he thought the episode was hilarious.

I noticed references to Sword Art Online, Inception, and Total Recall.

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

A fun quote of the day:

"The policies of this epoch [from the Punic Wars to Augustus] are not as naively manifest as those in the other cases discussed so far. Here is the classic example of that kind of insincerity in both foreign and domestic affairs which permeates not only avowed motives but also probably the conscious motives of the actors themselves—of that policy which pretends to aspire to peace but unerringly generates war, the policy of continual preparation for war, the policy of meddlesome interventionism. There was no corner of the known world where some interest was not alleged to be in danger or under actual attack. If the interests were not Roman, they were those of Rome's allies; and if Rome had no allies, then allies would be invented. When it was utterly impossible to contrive such an interest—why, then it was the national honor that had been insulted. The fight was always invested with an aura of legality. Rome was always being attacked by evil-minded neighbors, always fighting for a breathing space. The whole world was pervaded by a host of enemies, and it was manifestly Rome's duty to guard against their indubitably aggressive designs.  They were enemies who only waited to fall on the Roman people. Even less than in the cases that have already been discussed, can an attempt be made here to comprehend these wars of conquest from the point of view of concrete objectives. Here there was neither a warrior nation in our sense, nor, in the beginning, a military despotism or an aristocracy of specifically military orientation. Thus there is but one way to an understanding: scrutiny of domestic class interests, the question of who stood to gain."

Joseph Schumpeter, Imperialism and Social Classes, 1919
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

Todd, you killed the thread. Had to go to page 4 to find it.  :P

Anyways, my friend just introduced me to a new show today, "Axe Cop." It was written by a 5 year old. It was adopted from a comic, drawn by his 28 year old brother.

Keeping in mind that it was written by a 5 year old, this is easily one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The fact that 5 year olds don't know how the world actually works turns the show into something very surreal. It's not trying to be bizarre- it really is bizarre. Anyone watch it?

The show:
http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Axe-Cop