The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote. . . from Anglo-Norman taxer ("to impose a tax"), from Latin taxāre, present active infinitive of taxō[/quot]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quotefrom Latin taxāre

Tax and spend, spend and tax... is there any Latin spendere

As a Romanian (ie, speaker of a Romanic language) I honestly tell you that whenever I hear of "taxes" my first reaction is: "Fuck, yet another one!"
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

My reaction to this is different than, it seems, everyone else's.
http://youtu.be/65ZUl4bIBD8

My reaction is: where's the first bit?  The video starts with her already speaking and reacting to something that has happened. What? I don't see enough here to judge her actions. Was he aggressive before settling in to wait? I don't know. No-one does. How can we know? But on the basis of this clip she lost her job.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2015, 02:26:21 PM
My reaction to this is different than, it seems, everyone else's.
http://www.youtube.com/v/65ZUl4bIBD8

My reaction is: where's the first bit?  The video starts with her already speaking and reacting to something that has happened. What? I don't see enough here to judge her actions. Was he aggressive before settling in to wait? I don't know. No-one does. How can we know? But on the basis of this clip she lost her job.
Boggles the mind.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on June 05, 2015, 02:28:23 PM
Reaction to what?
This video went viral, she has been pilloried everywhere, and the university fired her. But we saw only a selected 34 seconds of the whole thing.

She is already agitated and in mid sentence when this starts. She says he's harassing whoever it was she named. He says he's just waiting. Then she says the waiting until they have time is harassing thing. But look at her say it. She is worked up already. Something got her worked up. She pauses like she is thinking what to say. Then she reacts just to the statement he made right then, and in a way which while it sounds silly perhaps is not.  If he has been making a fuss about not being able to see her on demand and then says he will just sit into the office and wait for her until she's available despite being told that she wouldn't be in that he could make an appointment, that does seem that it could be taken as slightly aggressive doesn't it?  And if she's taking it that way, her response is actually on point. She's trying to insist on her position without rehashing what just happened or escalating. 
Consider what the situation would be if he were an ex-boyfriend. Would you not see his behavior as aggressive and indeed stalking like behavior?  If your answer is yes, then her reaction cannot be called irrational,  because we don't know what his behavior was before this clip began.

Now I don't know what happened, and no one who watches this video knows what happened.  That is my point.

Go look on the YouTube site or other websites and you will see her being described as a racist and that her action can only be racially motivated.

Karl Henning

For some reason, when I first saw your post, the video didn't appear.  So your disembodied comments puzzled me, is all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on June 05, 2015, 02:57:13 PM
For some reason, when I first saw your post, the video didn't appear.  So your disembodied comments puzzled me, is all.
Ken didn't fix the video address in the code, so it still doesn't appear in his post.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2015, 02:32:22 PM
Go look on the YouTube site or other websites and you will see her being described as a racist and that her action can only be racially motivated.
This video is a bit old, but I had read fb comments from people who knew here, saying that she's just really mean. Racist? No idea.

Found an interesting youtube comment:
Oh this is fun, Woman claiming harassment arguing with black male, let's see who's side the social justice warriors take. I mean how do we know who's more oppressed?

QuoteThe chart of oppression goes as this:

Trans > Female > Skin Colour (unless it involves cops, then it goes above trans) > Otherkin >  Poor
I actually found a chart of oppression here:

Created as a joke, but I almost mistook it for something serious at first.  ;D

Henk

I'm fed up with these boards.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

I'll leave Ken alone. Bye bye my friends.

ibanezmonster

Last night, dreamed about that one guy I used to work with who got arrested for trying to hook up with a 14-year old girl online (who really happened to be a cop). I dreamed that he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head in his jail cell.  :-X (might as well, after you get labeled a sex offender for the rest of your life)

Second part of the dream, I dreamed my friend joined the Black Panthers.  ??? Then he just says, "Sorry, Greg."  :'(

Anyways, today, I just found out from my friend that this guy he used to work with (a guy that I played basketball with once or twice) had gotten arrested for the SAME THING (trying to hook up with a 14-year old online). WTF? Why???  ???

And you might picture them both a certain way, but the surprising thing is, they're both really nice, normal, dudes that are into sports. I didn't know that other guy well, but one I came pretty close to actually starting to possibly hang out with. I mean, I do understand some 14-years can look a bit older (my friend's sister, for example, is nearly as tall as me at the age of 13), but a 14-year old?... how dumb can you be? Or have they never watched the news before?  ???

Jo498

You really can get arrested if there never was any *real* underage girl involved, just an agent provocateur? This seems pretty close to thoughtcrime and again shows how crazy our society is. We manage to be strict puritans and debauched libertines at the same time...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

EigenUser

Quote from: Jo498 on June 07, 2015, 11:47:20 PM
You really can get arrested if there never was any *real* underage girl involved, just an agent provocateur? This seems pretty close to thoughtcrime and again shows how crazy our society is. We manage to be strict puritans and debauched libertines at the same time...
While I agree with the law, this has crossed mind before. Don't they do the same with prostitution and female police officers? I guess the argument would be that the only way that they can be arrested is if the idea crosses the threshold from "thought" to "action". It certainly doesn't concern be either way.

Other chat thread news: I had a good week at the gym. Deadlifted 405 lbs twice and bench pressed 225 lbs (finally!). While doing squats I was asked if I play football (never!). And I got some nice lifting shoes for my birthday. Sorry to brag, but I was excited. Very motivating. I still need to learn to power clean and barbell row, though.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on June 08, 2015, 01:45:44 AM

Other chat thread news: I had a good week at the gym. Deadlifted 405 lbs twice and bench pressed 225 lbs (finally!). While doing squats I was asked if I play football (never!). And I got some nice lifting shoes for my birthday. Sorry to brag, but I was excited. Very motivating. I still need to learn to power clean and barbell row, though.

I don't see any need to apologise for 'bragging'. And while I don't know your age or weight or how long you've been training, those are still fine numbers to be lifting. So well done. And enjoy your rewards.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

While I agree with the law, this has crossed mind before. Don't they do the same with prostitution and female police officers? I guess the argument would be that the only way that they can be arrested is if the idea crosses the threshold from "thought" to "action". It certainly doesn't concern be either way.

That's an impressive weight. How big are you? At my peak fitness, about age 29, I could bench press 300, barely. But I am a big guy (6 ft 2).

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jo498 on June 07, 2015, 11:47:20 PM
Yeah, obviously there should be some sort of punishment, but I've wondered before if his case was a bit too much. He lost his job, truck, got thrown in jail (never found out if he was bailed out or what) and is now forever on the list of sexual predators. Anyone can google his name and view his arrest page, but it also lists the schools (including elementary schools) near him, so they make it seem like 7 year olds aren't safe near him, either. All for attempting to meet an imaginary person 4 years underage. And would he have attempted to meet if that imaginary girl weren't flirting with him online?

So yeah, you do have to be careful not to do anything stupid in this country because the police are out to get you. Even worse with drugs...

I wish I could do anywhere near that weight. Maybe one day, if I ever feel like eating 8000 calories a day to get that sort of strength.
Or maybe you are just a Super Saiyan.  >:D

Henk

Ken, why are you doing this to me man? :'(