The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

I think I've found the short, simple answer to staying happy: I just need something that I'm extremely excited about (with a rating 9 or 10/10) that is attainable/doable in a short term sense to offset the crushing boredom of everyday life.

My recent adventure through the FF series started in spring 2013, when faced with the prospect of a soul-crushing 70 hours a week of work and school. I asked myself, "What do I want to do most that is actually doable before I die? Hmmm... I never played FF8, I'll do that!" and then, after reading some forum thread about people's favorite Final Fantasies, I got the idea of playing the rest in the main series so I could compare. My excitement level to play each game was probably a 10 at the time- even the first two, which sucked, were extremely entertaining because they did a lot in satisfying my curiosity of the origin of the series. And both 11 and 14 were such unique experiences with such an insane learning curve for someone who had never played an MMORPG before. Thinking about the possibilities of the job system entertained me for such a long time. However, the actual process of leveling the jobs by doing the same content over and over dulls my excitement of the thought of returning to these games quite a bit (and are the main reasons why I left in the first place).

So right now, I guess the reason why it seems like I'm floating in psychologically atonal territory is that I'm not really excited about anything as much as a 9 or 10. A handful of things are an 8 for me... so if I can't think of any 9's or 10's, it's just a matter of diving into the 8's and hoping they turn out even more exciting than I think they are.

There, I just saved myself a trip to the psychologist. Saved a lot of money, too.

EigenUser

Quote from: Greg on July 30, 2015, 04:25:56 PM
1. working out/bodybuilding- you can only do such so much before you are overtraining. I also find it incredibly boring, and for me, 90% of the work is just eating until I don't feel too good. And still don't gain weight. If the real world were like DBZ, though, I'd probably be benching semis 4 hours a day by now.
I don't want to come across as an expert, (because I am not at all!), but I get the impression that overtraining is significantly harder than we think it is. About 2.5 months ago I started doing compound lifts much more frequently several times a week (3, 2, 2 times per week for squats, bench, DLs, respectively, and all 5 reps by 5 sets) and I have improved drastically. I also hardly get sore.

Then again, I don't know what your goals/intentions are. I'd like to possibly, at some point, try and compete in a powerlifting competition if I can find something that is amiable to easily-intimidated beginners, hence why I focus on those three things so much.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on August 02, 2015, 03:31:37 PM
I don't want to come across as an expert, (because I am not at all!), but I get the impression that overtraining is significantly harder than we think it is. About 2.5 months ago I started doing compound lifts much more frequently several times a week (3, 2, 2 times per week for squats, bench, DLs, respectively, and all 5 reps by 5 sets) and I have improved drastically. I also hardly get sore.

Then again, I don't know what your goals/intentions are. I'd like to possibly, at some point, try and compete in a powerlifting competition if I can find something that is amiable to easily-intimidated beginners, hence why I focus on those three things so much.
I've also wondered about the whole idea of overtraining... the only time I feel soreness is when I push myself more than normal, and even then, it's extremely rare to last until the next day. (I probably could do more, might even help a lot).  ;D

Of course, everyone is different... I know people that are new to lifting usually experience soreness and shouldn't lift more than 3 days a week, while bodybuilders who use steroids can lift 6-7 days a week if they want. So I guess overtraining is all relative...

To be honest (and I know this is no excuse for anything, but just saying how I feel), if I could look like He-man in a month by just lifting non-stop, it would be much more exciting than being able to look possibly halfway like that at the most over the course of several years of spending a fraction of the time lifting each week... (not implying I'd ever be interested in steroids, yuck)

Besides that, thought of some other stuff that is exciting enough (and some of what I'm doing is becoming more exciting). Should be good for quite a while. Bring to mind this image that sort of relates...

fixation on one thing, kinda lost without it sort of feeling?

EigenUser

Quote from: Greg on August 02, 2015, 07:28:14 PM
I've also wondered about the whole idea of overtraining... the only time I feel soreness is when I push myself more than normal, and even then, it's extremely rare to last until the next day. (I probably could do more, might even help a lot).  ;D

Of course, everyone is different... I know people that are new to lifting usually experience soreness and shouldn't lift more than 3 days a week, while bodybuilders who use steroids can lift 6-7 days a week if they want. So I guess overtraining is all relative...

To be honest (and I know this is no excuse for anything, but just saying how I feel), if I could look like He-man in a month by just lifting non-stop, it would be much more exciting than being able to look possibly halfway like that at the most over the course of several years of spending a fraction of the time lifting each week... (not implying I'd ever be interested in steroids, yuck)
I lift 6 days a week and I certainly don't do steroids, haha. You just have to spread things out properly. Then again, it doesn't really matter much if you think it is boring.

Also, I bet that you'd find this guy entertaining (if you haven't already seen him). My favorite one is probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-oRydlnCE
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ibanezmonster

Quote from: EigenUser on August 03, 2015, 09:56:03 AM
Then again, it doesn't really matter much if you think it is boring.
That would be my biggest problem.  :-X

Quote from: EigenUser on August 03, 2015, 09:56:03 AM
Also, I bet that you'd find this guy entertaining (if you haven't already seen him). My favorite one is probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-oRydlnCE
I've seen that. I must be the odd minority that actually likes leg day the most...

ibanezmonster

Looks like with my upcoming schedule, anything more than 5 days a week will be impossible... and very likely more than 3 days a week won't be possible, either (all depending). But eventually, I would like to try out 4-5 days a week...

Mainly because I got my first internship, and it's 8 hours a day twice a week, plus 3 hours of driving, so that's 11 hours those days. And I'd likely be working full days on the weekends at my job, too...

Henk

Quote from: Greg on August 03, 2015, 11:10:40 AM
Looks like with my upcoming schedule, anything more than 5 days a week will be impossible... and very likely more than 3 days a week won't be possible, either (all depending). But eventually, I would like to try out 4-5 days a week...

Mainly because I got my first internship, and it's 8 hours a day twice a week, plus 3 hours of driving, so that's 11 hours those days. And I'd likely be working full days on the weekends at my job, too...

Useless it seems to me, to do so much fitness. Invest in becoming a good cook or something, you do yourself a pleasure with it and girls around you.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

ibanezmonster

Not sure how fitness is useless.  ;D (and don't you prefer girls that do at least some fitness?)  ::)

I wouldn't mind learning how to make food that I like and don't get to eat much (Thai and Japanese food, for example). That might be fun, especially if learning from Vegan Black Metal Chef.  >:D

Henk

Quote from: Greg on August 03, 2015, 12:40:52 PM
Not sure how fitness is useless.  ;D (and don't you prefer girls that do at least some fitness?)  ::)

I wouldn't mind learning how to make food that I like and don't get to eat much (Thai and Japanese food, for example). That might be fun, especially if learning from Vegan Black Metal Chef.  >:D

Too much fitness is useless imo, so body building.

I wouldn't say I prefer girls who do fitness. But yeah, I like it.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

ibanezmonster

Henk

One of the big flaws in current American culture is the expression "I don't care much about..." if they want to say they don't like something.

Karl Henning

I don't half fancy your complaint there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Henk

Quote from: karlhenning on August 06, 2015, 03:27:29 AM
I don't half fancy your complaint there.

What exactly don't you understand?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Henk on August 06, 2015, 05:50:16 AM
What exactly don't you understand?

In your post, there was nothing at all which I failed to understand  ;)

I was using a loosely equivalent British expression of indirect disapproval, simply to demonstrate that this manner of expressing indirect disapproval has an impeccable pedigree in the English-speaking world.  I mean, you still may not like it; but all one can say is, hard cheddar!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Henk

Quote from: karlhenning on August 06, 2015, 05:53:58 AM
In your post, there was nothing at all which I failed to understand  ;)

I was using a loosely equivalent British expression of indirect disapproval, simply to demonstrate that this manner of expressing indirect disapproval has an impeccable pedigree in the English-speaking world.  I mean, you still may not like it; but all one can say is, hard cheddar!  8)

I love it, though real cheese is much better. ;)

ibanezmonster

Working outside in 104F/40C temperatures (with ridiculous humidity) all day and it finally cools down by having a really ridiculous lightning storm that is so bad that I spend 20 minutes really wondering if I'm going to die from a lightning strike getting to my car and also while driving it. I fucking swear.

Springs to mind two thoughts: 1. I really should work on finding a date before I die from the weather (hurricanes and bad tornado problems are long overdue), and 2. When I plan my yearly pilgrimage to Tokyo, I should go in the summer, because it's cooler than here at least.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Today I filed an FCC complaint against AT&T. I have phone service with them, and have been trying to port my number to a new carrier. They have been obstructive, and when I called them repeatedly they lied to me about the process. I ended up reading to them from the FCC web page, which is really quite clear.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on October 02, 2015, 07:27:25 AM
Today I filed an FCC complaint against AT&T. I have phone service with them, and have been trying to port my number to a new carrier. They have been obstructive, and when I called them repeatedly they lied to me about the process. I ended up reading to them from the FCC web page, which is really quite clear.

Good luck!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

Just a reminder: don't take oxycodone, even a small dosage, and drive. Especially on only 6 hours of sleep. Almost a miracle I didn't fall asleep even when over 70 mph on the highway. Wish I would have known about this before...