The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Super Blood Moon on January 06, 2016, 04:13:33 AM
Audiences hate modern metal music because their brains cannot cope.

Damn their eyes!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on January 10, 2016, 10:59:27 AM
I got a new deadlift PR yesterday -- 515 lbs. I am doing my first powerlifting competition in April. Should be fun even though I'm sure I'll place last.

Congratulations on the PR.
Don't think negatively about where you'll place in your competition, because if you consistently train, eat, and sleep like an adult then you're equipped to do all you can. You've already got gravity working against you, so don't add to it. Enjoy the day. And maybe post the result?
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

EigenUser

Quote from: NikF on January 10, 2016, 12:32:04 PM
Congratulations on the PR.
Don't think negatively about where you'll place in your competition, because if you consistently train, eat, and sleep like an adult then you're equipped to do all you can. You've already got gravity working against you, so don't add to it. Enjoy the day. And maybe post the result?
Thanks!

"You've already got gravity working against you, so don't add to it."
That's brilliant. I'm stealing that line.

I will definitely post the result. I'll have it recorded, so I'll post a link to a video after the meet.

I think the reason I am liking powerlifting so much is because it is more about self-improvement than anything else. It will be my first meet so I'm obviously a novice, but I get the feeling that most people are more concerned with how they perform relative to their own past than they are with how everyone else performs. I've never had any interest in sports, but this idea of self-improvement being the main focus makes it seem totally different. Plus, there's no ball for me to run away from instead of catching (I sucked at PE in high school  :-[).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on January 10, 2016, 01:21:51 PM
Thanks!

"You've already got gravity working against you, so don't add to it."
That's brilliant. I'm stealing that line.

I will definitely post the result. I'll have it recorded, so I'll post a link to a video after the meet.

I think the reason I am liking powerlifting so much is because it is more about self-improvement than anything else. It will be my first meet so I'm obviously a novice, but I get the feeling that most people are more concerned with how they perform relative to their own past than they are with how everyone else performs. I've never had any interest in sports, but this idea of self-improvement being the main focus makes it seem totally different. Plus, there's no ball for me to run away from instead of catching (I sucked at PE in high school  :-[).

You're welcome.
I'm sure it'll be as you say, in that people will be more concerned with their own performance rather than that of others. I mean, I don't know anything about powerlifting or powerlifting meets, but I'm sure they are the same as any going into any gym or workplace or nightclub or wherever - that the law of averages dictates there will be one or two who are there for external validation. But that has nothing to do with you, because how you feel and perform is 100% within you, whereas how they feel and perform is in part dependant on other people - and frankly, the hell with living that way.  ;D

Anyway, it's chest day for me so I'm off now to lift little babby weights.  ;D I won't wish you good luck because I don't believe in luck. Just be honest with yourself throughout and you'll perform at your potential.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Late session at the gym in the company of Toots McG. For years she has been attending yoga classes twice a week, but now wants to replace one of those classes with either the gym (probably barbell complexes) or 'Adult Leisure Classes: Ballet Dancing' - and I know it's the latter she's keen on. However, I'll stick to my routine of 'lift heavy stuff and put it down again and taking a nap between sets, if not reps'.
Also, stopping afterwards at the takeaway to collect a chicken bhuna to be shared at home is good stuff.

EigenUser

Quote from: NikF on January 21, 2016, 02:58:21 PM
'lift heavy stuff and put it down again and taking a nap between sets, if not reps'.
Seriously, that hits too close to home. I just realized that I've been taking ridiculously long rests after doing sets of <5 reps so I've been trying to be conscientious about that. A few days ago I tried doing squats for sets of 6 reps with shorter rest periods and it was rough. Really rough. My cardiovascular endurance really is sucking and I think that is my limiting factor.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on January 21, 2016, 03:22:49 PM
Seriously, that hits too close to home. I just realized that I've been taking ridiculously long rests after doing sets of <5 reps so I've been trying to be conscientious about that. A few days ago I tried doing squats for sets of 6 reps with shorter rest periods and it was rough. Really rough. My cardiovascular endurance really is sucking and I think that is my limiting factor.
Yeah, taking longer and longer rests can kind of creep up on you. When it happens to me I change my leg day routine so that for a few sessions over a couple of weeks it consists of intervals in the form of uphill wind sprints and perhaps 3x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag. Neither of those is the most *pleasant remedy, but it does the trick.
Other stuff I look at is to see if my diet is still firmly in place and that I'm properly hydrated and sleeping well. And once every 12-16 weeks or so I make sure to take a one week off completely, even though I miss working out.
Here's an abstract via Lyle McDonald's site: 'Factors affecting the length of the rest interval between resistance exercise sets.'  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/rest-interval-between-sets.html/ that you might find interesting. But know that I'm absolutely not trying to suggest any changes in your routine, because I'm not qualified to do so and also because you're clearly getting great results as it is.

* at my age ;D

EigenUser

Quote from: NikF on January 21, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Yeah, taking longer and longer rests can kind of creep up on you. When it happens to me I change my leg day routine so that for a few sessions over a couple of weeks it consists of intervals in the form of uphill wind sprints and perhaps 3x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag. Neither of those is the most *pleasant remedy, but it does the trick.
Other stuff I look at is to see if my diet is still firmly in place and that I'm properly hydrated and sleeping well. And once every 12-16 weeks or so I make sure to take a one week off completely, even though I miss working out.
Here's an abstract via Lyle McDonald's site: 'Factors affecting the length of the rest interval between resistance exercise sets.'  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/rest-interval-between-sets.html/ that you might find interesting. But know that I'm absolutely not trying to suggest any changes in your routine, because I'm not qualified to do so and also because you're clearly getting great results as it is.

* at my age ;D
No, no. This is all good to know and it is something that I definitely need to fix. I want to start doing Candito's 6-week program (http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/candito-6-week-strength-program/) and it uses short rest periods in the 2nd week.

Karl Henning

Just wanted to say that GMG is really an extraordinary "place."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

We had a casual stroll around the used and antiquarian bookshops this morning. An innocent pleasure. But sadly, they're a type of shop that for years now have become smaller in number. We did pick up one or two things though and then decided to bring lunch forward, which was gladly taken in a cosy cafe/deli with a window seat looking out on the endless rain.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 06:50:26 AMa window seat looking out on the endless rain.
Well that's comforting, at least.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 07:34:45 AM
Well that's comforting, at least.  8)

Nearly as comforting as my girlfriend not wanting to eat her penne pollo and it offering to me after I'd eaten my spaghetti arrabiata.  ;D

Anyway, here's a couple of the bookshop purchases -

I've been waiting to read this one for some time. The bookshop owner emailed to say he'd received an unread copy of it -

Still waiting for a copy of the biography of Brahms by Jan(?) Stafford.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 08:19:08 AM
Nearly as comforting as my girlfriend not wanting to eat her penne pollo and it offering to me after I'd eaten my spaghetti arrabiata.  ;D

Anyway, here's a couple of the bookshop purchases -
Ha!

(It seems to be Jan Swafford, but he should take your hint, what the hell kind of a name is Swafford anyway?! :P )

Looking at Alton's filmography, I don't think I've seen one of the lot.  :-[

Hm, that haul reminds me that I should get a Bill Brandt book soon. . .

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 09:02:10 AM
Ha!

(It seems to be Jan Swafford, but he should take your hint, what the hell kind of a name is Swafford anyway?! :P )

Looking at Alton's filmography, I don't think I've seen one of the lot.  :-[

Hm, that haul reminds me that I should get a Bill Brandt book soon. . .

Yeah, how dare he have such a stupid surname with built in autocorrect voodoo?!  ;D

Alton - if you get the chance 'He Walked by Night' might be worth your while to look at. As for the book, it was first published in the late 1940s. While the contents are still valid in some ways, in others it's an anarchism - especially the chapter headed 'Ladies, Watch your Light' offering women advice on where and how to be lit when their husband comes home...  :D But I like to read about how people approach a shot - what their thinking process is - and so it's the kind of book that's a cool read for me.

I don't have anything by Brandt, although over the last year or so we've been downsizing, including books. The only ones I've kept were given to me as gifts. But speaking of him, since you mentioned in another thread "Now, if I only could manage to find the one with the umbrella in the background corner" I've been trying to find it. No success, yet.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 09:42:13 AM'Ladies, Watch your Light' offering women advice on where and how to be lit when their husband comes home...  :D
Hah!

QuoteBut I like to read about how people approach a shot - what their thinking process is - and so it's the kind of book that's a cool read for me.

I don't have anything by Brandt, although over the last year or so we've been downsizing, including books. The only ones I've kept were given to me as gifts. But speaking of him, since you mentioned in another thread "Now, if I only could manage to find the one with the umbrella in the background corner" I've been trying to find it. No success, yet.
I have four books related to photography - a Karsh bio, Szarkowski's Atget, Adams Yosemite & The High Sierra, and the Sudek book I just bought - so I won't need to downsize on that front in quite a while.  ::)

Yeah, I haven't yet found that umbrella image either.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 09:58:21 AM
Hah!
I have four books related to photography - a Karsh bio, Szarkowski's Atget, Adams Yosemite & The High Sierra, and the Sudek book I just bought - so I won't need to downsize on that front in quite a while.  ::)

Yeah, I haven't yet found that umbrella image either.

I don't have any of those, although I once owned a copy of the Adams Yosemite. Most of what I still have is fashion orientated stuff, including the Steichen 'Condé Nast Years' which has as good reproductions as I've seen in a mass market book.
[asin]0500543542[/asin]
But I also have stuff like this from the 40s that I like, such as a few Bruno of Hollywood things -

(Strategically placed roll of film, models own;D)

I think the last book I received was courtesy of my classical music loving ex. She got me the Harold Mante 'Photograph: Composition and Colour Design'.
[asin]1937538060[/asin]
I used to keep the books (along with a few art and design volumes) in my studio, but since I closed it they're all at home now. Anyway, for different reasons I can recommend getting a look at both the Steichen and the Mante.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 10:38:00 AM
I don't have any of those, although I once owned a copy of the Adams Yosemite. Most of what I still have is fashion orientated stuff, including the Steichen 'Condé Nast Years' which has as good reproductions as I've seen in a mass market book.
I don't know if you've read Szarkowski's writings, but that book is gold. Most plates are coupled with a short essay related to the photograph, often rather tangentially.

QuoteBut I also have stuff like this from the 40s that I like, such as a few Bruno of Hollywood things -
(Strategically placed roll of film, models own;D)

I think the last book I received was courtesy of my classical music loving ex. She got me the Harold Mante 'Photograph: Composition and Colour Design'.

I used to keep the books (along with a few art and design volumes) in my studio, but since I closed it they're all at home now. Anyway, for different reasons I can recommend getting a look at both the Steichen and the Mante.
I think I'm more interested in other Steichen. The Mante does indeed appear solid. I haven't got anything on paper about art and design alone, but should get something at some point.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 08:19:08 AM
Nearly as comforting as my girlfriend not wanting to eat her penne pollo and it offering to me after I'd eaten my spaghetti arrabiata;D

Arrabiata (aka, pissed-off-pasta)...a Mrs. Rock speciality. I'll have to talk her into cooking that this weekend  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 11:15:15 AM
I don't know if you've read Szarkowski's writings, but that book is gold. Most plates are coupled with a short essay related to the photograph, often rather tangentially.
While I'm familiar with some of his work, I haven't read any of his words. But it's always something for me to pursue at some point.
I think I'm more interested in other Steichen. The Mante does indeed appear solid. I haven't got anything on paper about art and design alone, but should get something at some point.
If/when we continue our downsizing I'll certainly offer you first refusal. But a lot of them are on the subject of cinematography and stage lighting, so it's not just photography.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 09, 2016, 11:17:06 AM

Arrabiata (aka, pissed-off-pasta)...a Mrs. Rock speciality. I'll have to talk her into cooking that this weekend  8)

Sarge

That's a fine speciality for Mrs. Rock to possess. I hope you enjoy it. And I 'ain't jealous in the slightest.  *sound of swanee whistle nose growing a la Pinocchio*  ;D

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 11:48:44 AM
While I'm familiar with some of his work, I haven't read any of his words. But it's always something for me to pursue at some point. If/when we continue our downsizing I'll certainly offer you first refusal. But a lot of them are on the subject of cinematography and stage lighting, so it's not just photography.

Thanks.
Have a look at these:

Member XB-Valkyrie 70 (thanks to whom I discovered it.) on the book in question
http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/03/26/a-word-with-eugne-atget
https://thephotobook.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/atget-by-john-szarkowski/

My photographs on Flickr