Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 09, 2016, 12:28:27 PM
Thanks.
Have a look at these:

Member XB-Valkyrie 70 (thanks to whom I discovered it.) on the book in question
http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/03/26/a-word-with-eugne-atget
https://thephotobook.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/atget-by-john-szarkowski/

Thanks. I'll do so this evening when I've time to read them properly.
In return I'll offer the NSFW blog calikartel.com - it contains contemporary fashion/high fashion photography, some of which you'll eventually see coming through to the mainstream. It's definitely one that requires sifting and filtering, but it offers more of a window into that world than the Flickr and DeviantART and Fotki types of places. Even now I still keep an eye on it. Anyway, it might be of interest to some.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on February 09, 2016, 09:22:50 PM
Thanks. I'll do so this evening when I've time to read them properly.
In return I'll offer the NSFW blog calikartel.com - it contains contemporary fashion/high fashion photography, some of which you'll eventually see coming through to the mainstream. It's definitely one that requires sifting and filtering, but it offers more of a window into that world than the Flickr and DeviantART and Fotki types of places. Even now I still keep an eye on it. Anyway, it might be of interest to some.
Cheers. After a quick glance now, that site looks alright (although dead for a year)

Yeah, most things online requite a lot of sifting to see the good stuff, and Flickr needs a hell of a lot - but luckily there are intelligent ways to do it (mostly through groups with quality control, and through others' whose work one likes favorited images), instead of looking through millions of images uploaded every day. I've managed to find at least a few dozen interesting photographers on Flickr in a couple of years, but a few dozen out of thousands or tens of thousands isn't that much. I follow a couple of hundred users there (should cull the list down really if I wanted to look at their works more often) but apart from that, I mostly look only at what people post/discuss in one particular critique/discussion/contest group.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2016, 01:49:12 AM
Cheers. After a quick glance now, that site looks alright (although dead for a year)

Yeah, most things online requite a lot of sifting to see the good stuff, and Flickr needs a hell of a lot - but luckily there are intelligent ways to do it (mostly through groups with quality control, and through others' whose work one likes favorited images), instead of looking through millions of images uploaded every day. I've managed to find at least a few dozen interesting photographers on Flickr in a couple of years, but a few dozen out of thousands or tens of thousands isn't that much. I follow a couple of hundred users there (should cull the list down really if I wanted to look at their works more often) but apart from that, I mostly look only at what people post/discuss in one particular critique/discussion/contest group.

Yeah, I checked the twitter and there's no recent activity. Oh dear.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Ran to the gym early this morning and on the way I was overtaken by an old MZ motorcycle. I had one of those when I was in my late teens and so enough time has passed for me to forget just how unreliable they could be  :D But it was fun, offered a form of freedom, girls liked it (especially the goody two shoes 'I've never been on a motorcycle before' type ;D) and it generally provided transport to adventure. The last thing I need now is to buy one, because I don't have the time and we're already in the process of downsizing. Still, it would be cool.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

NikF

I knew I was in good health. However in order to change my insurance policy I've recently had not one but two comprehensive medicals. I passed both with ease. Also, I learned that nurses like vascular guys ("nice big veins, so I don't have to hunt for one!") but here's my secret, my pause for thought, the one experience that I consider something of a weakness...I don't like needles. Woe.
Still, it's over now. Good stuff.

Also -

Quote from: Todd on February 14, 2016, 12:35:58 PM

Best tweet ever?

God(s) bless Dick Dorkins.

Todd

I'm not really much of a phone guy, but the new Cat(erpillar!) S60 looks downright cool.  Shockproof, waterproof, thermal imaging.  Who doesn't need something like that?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

NikF

Tomorrow is the last day I'll be visiting the gym I've been using. My membership is about to expire and I won't be renewing it. And in any case I prefer to workout at home and in the park. Also, we're getting ready to move far away and so renewing would be a waste of money.
It's not a great gym anyway and last week I noticed them giving a guy some grief about using chalk. I could see the point if he was making a mess or something, but he had it in a little bag and was just using it to deadlift. I pointed out to a member of staff that chalk is allowed and suggested he instead attend to the users who do one set on a bench and then sit on it for ten minutes playing on their phone. Anyway, I'll finish my workout tomorrow, avoid the old dude in the changing room who after coming out the showers always stands in the middle of the floor using a hairdryer to blow dry his genitals, then go to the cafe and have a steak and chips (French fries) salad and milk.

EigenUser

Quote from: NikF on February 29, 2016, 11:32:48 AM
It's not a great gym anyway and last week I noticed them giving a guy some grief about using chalk. I could see the point if he was making a mess or something, but he had it in a little bag and was just using it to deadlift. I pointed out to a member of staff that chalk is allowed and suggested he instead attend to the users who do one set on a bench and then sit on it for ten minutes playing on their phone.
Doing God's work. I like it.

Seriously, though. I don't get the whole "no chalk" thing if people are being careful and cleaning up any messes. It's a gym. There are some gyms in the US that actually forbid deadlifts completely. Apparently they are too "intimidating". These same places also give out free pizza and they have an alarm that goes off if you drop a weight (even by accident). I've never been, but it sounds like a dreadful place for lifting (probably fine for cardio).

Quote from: NikF on February 29, 2016, 11:32:48 AM
[...] avoid the old dude in the changing room who after coming out the showers always stands in the middle of the floor using a hairdryer to blow dry his genitals [...]
:-X
(Supposedly this is more common than you'd think, so maybe I'm missing out??)
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on February 29, 2016, 04:48:47 PM
Doing God's work. I like it.

Yeah, I have a big mouth.  :laugh:

Seriously, though. I don't get the whole "no chalk" thing if people are being careful and cleaning up any messes. It's a gym. There are some gyms in the US that actually forbid deadlifts completely. Apparently they are too "intimidating". These same places also give out free pizza and they have an alarm that goes off if you drop a weight (even by accident). I've never been, but it sounds like a dreadful place for lifting (probably fine for cardio).
Planet Fitness 'lunk alarm'? Apparently when awarding franchises for Planet Fitness your location needs to be street level - including parking - because people won't walk up stairs. Also:

:-X
(Supposedly this is more common than you'd think, so maybe I'm missing out??)
This one dude does it slowly like it's a laboratory demonstration of human anatomy or he's rehearsing shadow puppets or something... The hell with that. In fact, let's change the subject.  ;D

But truth be told, I don't mind places like Planet Fitness. As you say, they're good for cardio and I'm sure they're an intro for at least some people to later go on and make a lifestyle change for the good of their health.
How's the training going anyway? You make a start on that Candito prog you were talking about?

EigenUser

Quote from: NikF on February 29, 2016, 05:12:20 PM
Yeah, I have a big mouth.  :laugh:
Planet Fitness 'lunk alarm'? Apparently when awarding franchises for Planet Fitness your location needs to be street level - including parking - because people won't walk up stairs. Also:

Duh! Cardio kills gainzzz! ;D

Quote from: NikF on February 29, 2016, 05:12:20 PM
How's the training going anyway? You make a start on that Candito prog you were talking about?
Going okay. I never started that program, though. I did the first day and it was too hard. I should have used like 90% of my maxes (instead of my actual maxes). I have made some progress, though. Today I squatted 405 x 3 and benched 225 x 10 (lbs -- not kilos, unfortunately!).

Out of curiosity, what do you do at home for working out? You said you prefer that.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NikF

Quote from: EigenUser on February 29, 2016, 05:29:08 PM
Duh! Cardio kills gainzzz! ;D
Going okay. I never started that program, though. I did the first day and it was too hard. I should have used like 90% of my maxes (instead of my actual maxes). I have made some progress, though. Today I squatted 405 x 3 and benched 225 x 10 (lbs -- not kilos, unfortunately!).

Out of curiosity, what do you do at home for working out? You said you prefer that.

Those are still impressive numbers. Good stuff. And if you keep doing everything like an adult you'll keep moving forward. Also, all your work is going into a bank for your health in the future. That's a real investment.

Although it varies I basically do a three day split, based around mostly dumbbells and with some bodyweight stuff thrown in. So Monday will be chest/shoulders/triceps -
DB flat bench
DB incline bench
DB shoulder press
DB lateral raises
DB tricep extensions
Skullcrushers
Dips

Wednesday is legs and it's either -
Goblet squats/DB Bulgarian split squats
DB lunges
DB stiff legged deadlifts
Calf raises

or I go to the park and run intervals, which as I get older are becoming increasingly strenuous and a near death experience. But it's all good.   ;D

Friday - back and biceps
Pull ups
One arm DB rows
Standing bicep curls
Cross body hammer curls

On Tuesday/Thursday I do roadwork, which nowadays means running so very slowly for a couple of miles. Or I'll replace at least one of those days with kettlebell swings and then farmer's walk them to finish. Ah, and I do a few sets of different pushup variations every morning.
It's all low weight/high rep stuff - I'm not pulling anything near the weight that you are. And some of it goes back to what worked for me between the ages of 17 and 34, because I had career as an amateur boxer and was in the best shape of my life. But I still feel great now and it's cool having (relatively) so much power and stamina on tap.

Wow, long post - hope reading it wasn't a form of cardio that killed your gains.  :D

Artem

I've been following this program: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethins-12-week-muscle-building-trainer.html and i think it quite good. It mixes up exercises, repetitions, etc. and after 3 weeks I see that it works for me, even though I have a very small gym with limited number of equipment and weights in our apartment building.

NikF

Quote from: Artem on February 29, 2016, 07:07:05 PM
I've been following this program: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethins-12-week-muscle-building-trainer.html and i think it quite good. It mixes up exercises, repetitions, etc. and after 3 weeks I see that it works for me, even though I have a very small gym with limited number of equipment and weights in our apartment building.

That's the magic part right there, when you find what works for you. A lot of people don't give a routine enough time and so they change from one to another. Consistency in everything - routine, diet, and rest.
It's cool that you're seeing benefits after three weeks. Keep it going.

NikF

Sold my car today. Toots still has hers for the moment 'though, so we're covered for personal transport. And her mother had been driving my car for the last year anyway which means I won't really miss it. The buyer was quite a young guy and I imagine his insurance will be steep. But he came with his father and so perhaps he'll help him financially. Ah, maybe I'm being condescending there. Or it might just be that everyone is starting to appear young to me. ;D Anyway, as long as he drives safely and is happy with it.

Karl Henning

Need to run my car in for inspection.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: karlhenning on March 07, 2016, 09:13:39 AM
Need to run my car in for inspection.

Yearly service kind of thing? Anticipating any problems? Hope not.
The guy who bought my car emailed to say he found a SLR camera wedged under the driver's seat. ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on March 08, 2016, 02:53:22 AM
Yearly service kind of thing? Anticipating any problems? Hope not.

Yearly bureaucracy task  ;)  Thanks for the thought, it's a new-ish car, and the inspection should be mere routine.  I was inattentive, and the sticker expired end of February . . . since I take the MBTA to work, and I do no driving most days, I have not had occasion to run afoul of the law.  Will run it to a nearby inspection station first thing I get home from the office today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 08, 2016, 02:53:22 AM
The guy who bought my car emailed to say he found a SLR camera wedged under the driver's seat. ;D
Hah!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 08, 2016, 04:34:38 AM
Hah!

The guy drove over and dropped the camera off at my house. It was an old M42 Vivitar/Cosina - that's about the only other 35mm system I ever bought into. I even used it at work for six months or so.
Anyway, Iain (my best friend/assistant/arch-nemesis etc) was with me. So the guy pulled up in the car and got out and -
Guy: here's the camera.
Me: thanks, I forgot it was there.
Guy: (with a hint of a sneer) to be honest with a car like that I would expect to find a leica or a contax.
Iain: and with a face like yours I'd expect to find it punched.

:o  :laugh: