Personality Types

Started by greg, July 22, 2008, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on May 10, 2023, 01:57:07 AMWhat I used to do at work when I needed to drive somewhere I drove "virtually" the route in Google Maps (which of course also showed the route from A to B) street view!

I meant actual maps not google maps. lol

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on May 10, 2023, 02:55:00 AMLooking into the 7th or the Trickster function (Fe):
This is actually accurate for me.
Maybe I am actually an INTJ after all? In OPS they say I am an INTJ jumper (Ni/Fi), but every online MBTI test says INTP.

So seems like I have the same sort of quandary as you.  :o

For Fe trickster, I have a question for you- have you ever considered other people's tastes to be like some sort of joke? Like with music genre tastes, or with attraction to people (it's always been hard to even conceive of the fact that girls like guys because I don't understand the attraction behind that- almost seems like it's not even a real thing, like they are faking it, even though it's obviously not true).

Now I am also wondering what your Attitudinal Psyche type is now lol. Maybe will have to ask you some questions eventually, IMO is the easiest system to type people in luckily. But I like that system more than MBTI, despite far less information about it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

71 dB

Quote from: greg on May 13, 2023, 07:14:17 AMThis is actually accurate for me.
Maybe I am actually an INTJ after all?
ISTJs have the same tricker function Fe.

Quote from: greg on May 13, 2023, 07:14:17 AMIn OPS they say I am an INTJ jumper (Ni/Fi), but every online MBTI test says INTP. So seems like I have the same sort of quandary as you.  :o

"Stack jumping" is a new concept for me. The INTJ/INTP confusion seems to be very common for some reason. I think it is because understanding the cognitive functions and how they work together is challenging. For INTPs the trickster function is Se. Very different from INTJs and ISTJs...

Quote from: greg on May 13, 2023, 07:14:17 AMFor Fe trickster, I have a question for you- have you ever considered other people's tastes to be like some sort of joke? Like with music genre tastes, or with attraction to people (it's always been hard to even conceive of the fact that girls like guys because I don't understand the attraction behind that- almost seems like it's not even a real thing, like they are faking it, even though it's obviously not true).

I have found the preferences of other people often weird, but getting into personality types has helped me to understand not only myself but other people much better. I understand better how people can be different.

Quote from: greg on May 13, 2023, 07:14:17 AMNow I am also wondering what your Attitudinal Psyche type is now lol. Maybe will have to ask you some questions eventually, IMO is the easiest system to type people in luckily. But I like that system more than MBTI, despite far less information about it.
I don't want to go into other systems before understanding MBTI fully.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

As a child I felt other children (classmates) had superpowers I was lacking that made them more popular, more likeable, better understanding each other and just better at "playing their games" in large groups. I had dreams where I had my own superpowers (such as the ability to levitate 1-3 inches in the air or having my Stiga snowracer equipped with motor to turn it a snowmobile for kids) that made my classmates drop their jaw on the floor when I demonstrated those superpowers to them.

Especially in my teens I felt I was much smarter than my classmates. I felt their interests were dumb and their ability to understand abstract and logical things lacking. I was confused about how different I felt compared to others, but at this point it wasn't a serious problem for me.

After the high-school I went to the university and suddenly I was surrounded by other INTJs and other types capable of deep abstract and logical thinking. I found my mediocrity in such an environment and it has a bit disturbing. I recognised that some people around me are clearly smarter than I am, something that was pretty new for me. Not only did they understand the complex things I did, they were able to understand them faster and more effortlessly! :o However this wasn't the end of the World: It isn't that bad to be mediocre among smart people, is it?

Next step was worklife and oh boy was that horrible and traumatizing! I learned that being mediocre is in fact bad! You get to keep your job if you are one of the best. If you are mediocre you are in danger of losing it. Not only that, but jobs require all kind of talent and if you are weak at something it will bite you in the ass!

So, my life went from thinking I am smarter than my classmates in high-school to been traumatized by the work life and been shown my place as an almost useless person by the age of 35. Talk about a drop in self-esteem! After years of self-pity and even self-hate, getting into personality types has given me a lot of clarity about why these things have happened to me and helped me to accept myself as I am. I might a "dumb" INTJ far from the genius of say Nikola Tesla and I might be a useless individual in today's World that has use only for really smart and weakness-free INTJs, but there is only one me. I can appreciate at least that.  :)

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 02:00:41 AMISTJs have the same tricker function Fe.
I'm definitely not an ISTJ. Off the charts in both intuition and introversion, but thinking/feeling and perceiving/judging is more balanced.

Mainly, with thinking and feeling, I am deeply both at the same time, and MBTI makes a coin (originally based on Jung's thinking of dichotomies) where you can't be both at the same time. But in both AP and enneagram, there is no such coin so it feels like those systems describe me better.

Also looked up what is the Critical Parent function of INTJ's, and that is Ti. One video mentioned that this means this type of person will typically ask others for their source, and I don't do that. Doing that is something typical of enneagram 6's and 1L or 3L or in AP. I will always rely on my own judgement and logic over "proof," so technically that means I'm prioritizing Ti over Te.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 02:00:41 AM"Stack jumping" is a new concept for me. The INTJ/INTP confusion seems to be very common for some reason. I think it is because understanding the cognitive functions and how they work together is challenging. For INTPs the trickster function is Se. Very different from INTJs and ISTJs...
Yeah, it's a big debate in MBTI whether "looping" is a thing.

"Looping" being using your third function in place of your second on a normal basis.

ex: INTJ's normally Ni/Te, but a looper would be Ni/Fi

In MBTI, it either doesn't exist or is an indication of poor mental health (like an echo chamber for two introverted functions, or being closed off from one's own mind if two extraverted functions).

(In OPS it's considered perfectly normal and not unhealthy, which is a big reason why I favor that system).

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 02:00:41 AMI have found the preferences of other people often weird, but getting into personality types has helped me to understand not only myself but other people much better. I understand better how people can be different.
Yeah, it's like viewing the config file of other people's head-machines, it's interesting to observe.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 02:00:41 AMI don't want to go into other systems before understanding MBTI fully.
Haha yep, ok Mr.Enneagram 5.

I get it, I also like to explore one thing to the depths before moving on to the next topic, otherwise it's overwhelming. It's like a jarring interruption. The other head types (6 and 7) can switch gears more easily, but their understanding of things tends to be more shallow.

I bet you even do a lot of zoning out while thinking for your body language, and hate being interrupted.

Also, with your next post, seems to back up my guess of 513 for your tritype- that's triple competency! So yeah, I can imagine competency being a big theme in your life.

Anyways, sorry for mentioning enneagram as that's a bit jarring, but I think of it as leaving out bread crumbs that you for later, after you mentally conquer MBTI lol, you absolutely don't have to think about that now and respond to it.

71 dB

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMI'm definitely not an ISTJ. Off the charts in both intuition and introversion, but thinking/feeling and perceiving/judging is more balanced.

Just mentioning the fact that ISTJs have Fe in the same stack place as INTJs. ISTJs are the third most introverted MBTI personality type after INTJ and INTPs, but Ne is ISTJs inferior function so there is that.

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMMainly, with thinking and feeling, I am deeply both at the same time, and MBTI makes a coin (originally based on Jung's thinking of dichotomies) where you can't be both at the same time. But in both AP and enneagram, there is no such coin so it feels like those systems describe me better.

Well, MBTI is far from perfect and I don't even expect "perfect match", because that's silly. 16 types just can't describe millions of different people accurately. INTJ is the best match for me. What I find useful is the need to think about cognitive functions and how they work together. I read that Ni is "connected" to subconsciousness and as the dominant function connects to the lower 4 cognitive functions in the stack without conscious control. This might give INTJs subconsciously INTP-like flavor which could be one explanation to the INTJ/INTP confusion so many seems to have. Maybe the "pure" INTJs are those whose Ni consults less the shadow functions down in the stack?They would use mostly Ni, Te and Fi while INTP-"looking" Ne-Ti-Fe-Si stuff would stay mostly out of the way. I don't consider myself "pure" INTJ and I thing the lower stack in good and bad is quite active in me.

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMAlso looked up what is the Critical Parent function of INTJ's, and that is Ti. One video mentioned that this means this type of person will typically ask others for their source, and I don't do that. Doing that is something typical of enneagram 6's and 1L or 3L or in AP. I will always rely on my own judgement and logic over "proof," so technically that means I'm prioritizing Ti over Te.

The use of critical parent is linked to situations arguing and emotional disagreement, when things heat up. I don't ask for other people's sources either, unless I am frustrated, I want to "win" and I am on thin ice. That's when I might ask: "What's your damn source and evidence for those wild claims?" However, INTJs don't do it when they are calm and know they can win the debate.

The dominant and auxiliary functions work together so seemingly that it can be difficult to tell them apart. You might feel you are using Ti, but you are actually using the combination of Ni and Te that only looks Ti to you. The personal "own" stuff comes from Ni. Te creates the plan how you can implement your personal vision in the real world. If you are using Ti, you are not even interested to carry out ideas in the real world, because them existing inside your head is enough for you (INTPs).

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMYeah, it's a big debate in MBTI whether "looping" is a thing.

"Looping" being using your third function in place of your second on a normal basis.

ex: INTJ's normally Ni/Te, but a looper would be Ni/Fi

Whether it is a thing or not, I do experience things that the Ni-Fi does explain and knowing about it can help me to try to get out of it faster or to even prevent it from happening in the first place. I was familiar with the term looping, but not the term stack jumping. I should have realized they mean the same thing.

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMIn MBTI, it either doesn't exist or is an indication of poor mental health (like an echo chamber for two introverted functions, or being closed off from one's own mind if two extraverted functions).

(In OPS it's considered perfectly normal and not unhealthy, which is a big reason why I favor that system).

Being closed off from one's own mind is a scary thought.  ??? Thank God I am not an extravert!

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMYeah, it's like viewing the config file of other people's head-machines, it's interesting to observe.

That's a nice analogy! Load Ni1.lib, Te2.lib,...  :D 

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMHaha yep, ok Mr.Enneagram 5.

I get it, I also like to explore one thing to the depths before moving on to the next topic, otherwise it's overwhelming. It's like a jarring interruption. The other head types (6 and 7) can switch gears more easily, but their understanding of things tends to be more shallow.

Thinking these things a lot now with MBTI will help when/if I jump to the other models. It is like learning new languages gets easier the more languages you already know.

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 09:46:34 AMI bet you even do a lot of zoning out while thinking for your body language, and hate being interrupted.

Also, with your next post, seems to back up my guess of 513 for your tritype- that's triple competency! So yeah, I can imagine competency being a big theme in your life.

Anyways, sorry for mentioning enneagram as that's a bit jarring, but I think of it as leaving out bread crumbs that you for later, after you mentally conquer MBTI lol, you absolutely don't have to think about that now and respond to it.

It is okay. Of course you can talk about whatever personality type model you want.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 03:23:19 PMMaybe the "pure" INTJs are those whose Ni consults less the shadow functions down in the stack?They would use mostly Ni, Te and Fi while INTP-"looking" Ne-Ti-Fe-Si stuff would stay mostly out of the way. I don't consider myself "pure" INTJ and I thing the lower stack in good and bad is quite active in me.
Ha, that is one way to make a distinction, like a spectrum of usage rather than a binary usage of functions.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 03:23:19 PMThe use of critical parent is linked to situations arguing and emotional disagreement, when things heat up. I don't ask for other people's sources either, unless I am frustrated, I want to "win" and I am on thin ice. That's when I might ask: "What's your damn source and evidence for those wild claims?" However, INTJs don't do it when they are calm and know they can win the debate.
Ahhh ok gotcha.
Then I'm probably the same, would only say that if pushed far enough.
In enneagram terms, this I think would be 5 leaning on their 6 wing as a backup plan.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2023, 03:23:19 PMThe dominant and auxiliary functions work together so seemingly that it can be difficult to tell them apart. You might feel you are using Ti, but you are actually using the combination of Ni and Te that only looks Ti to you. The personal "own" stuff comes from Ni. Te creates the plan how you can implement your personal vision in the real world. If you are using Ti, you are not even interested to carry out ideas in the real world, because them existing inside your head is enough for you (INTPs).
This is a really good point, and points more to me being an INTJ, because I very much would prefer my ideas to enter the real world.

I actually like your distinction of Ti and Te- seems there is some disagreement about what Te is actually doing from source to source, which is throwing me off. I think I will go with your interpretation.

You might find this somewhat interesting, was watching a Stockhausen interview and noticed his body language.

My thoughts on it:
he is most likely Ni-dominant and enneagram 5.

I never see people look at a single point on the ground and have barely any eye contact with the interviewer when doing interviews, but that is a sign of both.

The guy who typed me in enneagram and AP noticed that in my video. I notice a huge difference between how much I do that and how much others do that. But it's because it's difficult to get into my head to formulate thoughts while looking at other people. So there is a lack of mirroring. In enneagram, the attachment types (3, 6, and 9, also happen to be the most common types) mirror people subconsciously when talking to them- but for me, it's more of a conscious effort.

71 dB

Quote from: greg on May 14, 2023, 07:38:55 PM1. Ha, that is one way to make a distinction, like a spectrum of usage rather than a binary usage of functions.

2. Ahhh ok gotcha.
Then I'm probably the same, would only say that if pushed far enough.
In enneagram terms, this I think would be 5 leaning on their 6 wing as a backup plan.

3. This is a really good point, and points more to me being an INTJ, because I very much would prefer my ideas to enter the real world.

I actually like your distinction of Ti and Te- seems there is some disagreement about what Te is actually doing from source to source, which is throwing me off. I think I will go with your interpretation.

1. Personality types are about the preferences. Everybody can use all of the 8 cognitive functions, but depending on how our brains are "wired", using certain functions is easier to us than others. My INTJ brain is good at (wired to) analysing the underlying logic and patterns in the external World meaning I don't lose much mental energy doing that, but the same brain is badly wired for handling social situations and sensory data and that's why I lose mental energy very fast when I have to interact with a group of people or my senses are overstimulated. No wonder I prefer being alone or with only a couple of close people rather than taking my ass to situations where masses have been summoned. No wonder I prefer listening to music home alone instead of going to concerts! No wonder I don't have a need to travel. Personality types explain so much! Anyway, no two INTJs have their brain wired exactly the same way. It's just that INTJs have brains that are closest to the "wiring model" named INTJ. The same, of course, goes for the other 15 types.

2. Yeah, the bottom functions manifest themselves in stressful situations were our top functions can't fully handle the situation. It is our dark side to use some Star Wars terminology. It is about becoming someone we don't think we are.

3. Well thanks! Nice if I could help you clarify things. I think I am a frustrated INTJ, because I feel I can't push my ideas out to the World (the World seems to be ready for new ideas only when there is money to make and otherwise traditions are valued over new concepts). I am also very disappointed about how the World has turned out in the 21st century. Instead of increased wisdom and knowledge we have social media brainwashed ignorants. Instead of peace on Earth we have wars. Instead of having solved problems with technology we have created new problems with it. Instead of having more democracy we see more and more countries moving toward dictatorship. Now I understand why the World as it is today is so disappointed to me: As an INTJ I envisioned the 21st century decades ago, but I was too young and naive to make realistic predictions. Sensors on the other hand never thought about the future, so they had zero expectations to compare the World with. These and many other negative experiences in life have made me skeptical about how realistic it is to push my ideas to the World and that has perhaps triggered those INTP-like "dark side"* features in me. I have adapted to be like an INTP because that's when I don't have an urge to push my ideas out to the World or achieve much, but that doesn't change the fact that my brain is ultimately wired to be an INTJ. I have developed very detailed fantasies were I have the power to "do me" and shape the reality around me exactly as I want it to be. If this theory is correct, it would explain why I have felt so confused about my identity for the last 20 years or so. Knowing INTJ is the "true me" helps a lot. I know what parts of me are manifestation of negative experiences, frustrations and disappointments.

* Those are "dark side" features for INTJs. For INTP they are default features of course.

That's all I'll write for now as I have a damn job application to do!  :o

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on May 15, 2023, 03:19:53 AM1. Personality types are about the preferences. Everybody can use all of the 8 cognitive functions, but depending on how our brains are "wired", using certain functions is easier to us than others. My INTJ brain is good at (wired to) analysing the underlying logic and patterns in the external World meaning I don't lose much mental energy doing that, but the same brain is badly wired for handling social situations and sensory data and that's why I lose mental energy very fast when I have to interact with a group of people or my senses are overstimulated. No wonder I prefer being alone or with only a couple of close people rather than taking my ass to situations where masses have been summoned. No wonder I prefer listening to music home alone instead of going to concerts! No wonder I don't have a need to travel. Personality types explain so much! Anyway, no two INTJs have their brain wired exactly the same way. It's just that INTJs have brains that are closest to the "wiring model" named INTJ. The same, of course, goes for the other 15 types.

2. Yeah, the bottom functions manifest themselves in stressful situations were our top functions can't fully handle the situation. It is our dark side to use some Star Wars terminology. It is about becoming someone we don't think we are.

3. Well thanks! Nice if I could help you clarify things. I think I am a frustrated INTJ, because I feel I can't push my ideas out to the World (the World seems to be ready for new ideas only when there is money to make and otherwise traditions are valued over new concepts). I am also very disappointed about how the World has turned out in the 21st century. Instead of increased wisdom and knowledge we have social media brainwashed ignorants. Instead of peace on Earth we have wars. Instead of having solved problems with technology we have created new problems with it. Instead of having more democracy we see more and more countries moving toward dictatorship. Now I understand why the World as it is today is so disappointed to me: As an INTJ I envisioned the 21st century decades ago, but I was too young and naive to make realistic predictions. Sensors on the other hand never thought about the future, so they had zero expectations to compare the World with. These and many other negative experiences in life have made me skeptical about how realistic it is to push my ideas to the World and that has perhaps triggered those INTP-like "dark side"* features in me. I have adapted to be like an INTP because that's when I don't have an urge to push my ideas out to the World or achieve much, but that doesn't change the fact that my brain is ultimately wired to be an INTJ. I have developed very detailed fantasies were I have the power to "do me" and shape the reality around me exactly as I want it to be. If this theory is correct, it would explain why I have felt so confused about my identity for the last 20 years or so. Knowing INTJ is the "true me" helps a lot. I know what parts of me are manifestation of negative experiences, frustrations and disappointments.

* Those are "dark side" features for INTJs. For INTP they are default features of course.

That's all I'll write for now as I have a damn job application to do!  :o

Very nice insight here.

But I have to say, there's one thing you are saying which is not necessarily correlated to INTJ, but you are literally spelling out the Rejection triad aspect of enneagram 5 (in Object relations). The issue is that INTJ's aren't only enneagram 5, they can be other types like 6 as well.

So for later, when you get around to it....

Attachment types (3,6,9) tie their ego to their environment as a sort of compromise to get their needs, they are the most hopeful.

Frustration types (1,4,7) tie their ego to their ideals so they tend to find reality disappointing, they tend to have dashed hopes.

Rejection types (5,2,8) don't have any such hopes of getting needs met. They are the least likely to even be aware that they even could ask for help with something (laughing at myself on this). So as a result of this subconscious rejection of needs, they have a "go it alone" approach to their centers. This in turn means their relationship to the world will end up looking like they are offering something to the world rather than looking for something or being picky about what it isn't.

Your talk about offering your ideas is your ego speaking, you ARE your ideas. Rejection types are the most inhuman types but they operate from a position of power as a result of that rejection of needs. It's leverage ("I am the only one who can offer this, you have to go through me to attain it.")

5 is saying "I don't need help or guidance" (like 6), "instead look at the ideas I have to offer." It will also lead to some Rejection sensitivity that you are experiencing when the world doesn't care (kinda the reason why they are called Rejection types).

The interactions I've seen here confirm this, I have see an attitude of not truly needing the political people you follow but using them to gather information.

There are 6s here that don't understand this mentality.... I'm dumbfounded by their assumption of me or you being some diehard committed follower, but people tend to be like this (type 6s cling tight "attach to" the reliable sources).

It's more of a heuristical thinking on their part, I've learned that recently. When you say something and they ask you your source they are trying to see if it's reliable... their big fear is being misled or deceived, ours is having inner resources depleted.

I can go on and on about this.... I should stop here lol.

71 dB

I wonder if there is a correlation between personality type and the preference of scales in music, for example modes of the Major scale. Are you a Dorian person or a Lydian person? Perhaps you are into the "boring" Major scale?

I like Phrygian mode for the exotic feel (Phrygian dominant even more!) and Lydian scale for its brightness and dreamy otherworldliness. My least favorite modes of the Major scale are Dorian and Mixolydian. They sound plain/casual to me. Ionian Mode is also kind of boring, but at least it doesn't pretend being something edgy. It's just the "default" scale in music and works well as that.

Of course good music can be written using any of the scales and it would be quite "stupid" to use Phrygian or Lydian modes to write classic rock for example, but if we look at the character of different modes, this is what I feel and I suppose it is at least partly connected to my own personality.

greg

That is something I'm shocked I haven't even thought about yet. Maybe I have and just got interrupted by something else.

I can think of a few:

Lydian
Half-Whole Diminished
These scales: A A# B D# E F
A A# B C# D D# F F# G
(idk the name)
regardless, the tritone is my interval.

Chordswise, have really been into something like C F# E and then modulating down a half-step.
I use it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKLGGpPK7s

9:25 mark, along with some chromatic-ish stuff to give a really creepy-sensual vibe for the guitar duet.

btw, I posted a typing video online and got a few commenters of several people who have been into enneagram for a while, and they all think either sp or sx 5. So just more general confirmation from different sources.

One interesting comment is my speech style being "monotone-staccato" (also with a droopy intonation tendency).

They also mentioned INTJ as my type... I read about Fe PolR and that seemed accurate to me.

71 dB

Quote from: greg on September 28, 2023, 03:49:54 PMLydian
Half-Whole Diminished
As you probably know, I started to get into music theory only about 5 years ago. Half-Whole scale is something I am only beginning to get interested of. I am not familiar with it at all.

Quote from: greg on September 28, 2023, 03:49:54 PMThese scales: A A# B D# E F
A A# B C# D D# F F# G
(idk the name)
A A# B D# E F is A Stadimic scale (3640)
A A# B C# D D# F F# G is A Stynygic scale (3822)
https://www.allthescales.org/index.php?

Quote from: greg on September 28, 2023, 03:49:54 PMregardless, the tritone is my interval.
It certainly has some bite to it! I was surprised how much I like the Locrian scale for its diminished tonic chord! :P

greg

Oh nice, thanks for looking them up, now I know their names!  8)

71 dB

Quote from: greg on September 29, 2023, 03:01:40 PMOh nice, thanks for looking them up, now I know their names!  8)

You're welcome! 8)

While looking those scales up I noticed the scale named Magian (3922),  which looks cool for a scale name. I decided to try making a techno track using it. Techno music uses almost always minorish scales like Phrygian or Aeolian. Techno also favours scales starting from E, F, F# or G, because those scales put the tonic between 40 and 50 Hz for the bass, which is optimal range for strong deep bass in the clubs. So, selecting F as the tonic, the F Magian scale is:

F  F#  G  G#  A#  C  D#.

Since F Phrygian is:

F  G♭  A♭  B♭  C  D♭  E♭,

we see Magian scale should be darker than Phrygian scale which is nice if we try to make dark techno.

Techno uses often very simple chord progressions (sometimes even staying on the same chord all the time!). I decided to try a two-chord progression: Fm(add9) - E♭m6. This makes the bass alternate between F1 (43.7 Hz) and G♭1 (46.2 Hz). I also want to hammer home this scale contains both G♭ and G while F Aeolian contains only G and F Phrygian only G♭ of the two notes.

As for the riffs and melodies go, I don't know yet, but I think it would be "wise" to use the C - E♭ minor third interval in the melody to "show" the listener the D♭ note is "missing" to further make the scale sound different from the other more common minor scales.

Well, these are just thoughts for future projects. It can take a long time before I even start with this if at all. At the moment I am "busy" with my current project: "Harpeggiator".

greg

Anyone ever hear of this term called PDA?

Kinda have been obsessed with it because I believe it describes the underlying roots of what has always driven my psychology beneath the surface. All of the typology stuff seems more surface-level ways of managing this.

I can give countless life examples of this, and it's observable moment to moment.

The only time I ever went to a psychiatrist, she literally spelled out that this is my issue, but never names the actual term, because... idk, either she didn't know or didn't want to mention stuff that isn't in the DSM. It's not widely known. It's also considered part of autism (which I don't have, though).

But it does explain the sleep issues and ADHD and the one autistic-like trait that I have (monotropism)- it's the sole cause.

It's a weird thing to have when you are more of a nicer, quieter, type of person. And can make seeing it/understanding it confusing, because it's not quite explicit in its presentation.

It's like the nervous system is an absolutely pure dictator... no, more like an absolute demon, that doesn't want to cooperate with anyone at all, but at the same time you have plenty of empathy and want to get along and do the right thing like a normal person. So it's really exhausting and makes existing in the world feel very oppressive and you just want to be alone all the time to avoid any expectations.

Also, literally just going directly against another person, or some generalized expectation, but seeing it's still all okay, is what provides a lot of relief and calms the nerves. That's the autonomy part. Probably a big component of how I became passionate about the things I like. My attention gets pulled in by what I should not be doing, and that is the most captivating.

QuoteLet's talk about the concept of Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA), though I prefer Tomlin Wilding's interpretation: Pervasive Drive for Autonomy. I prefer this name because it is less judgmental, but also because it focuses less on demand avoidance (which can be caused by an endless number of things) and more on the core issue: the drive for autonomy. PDA is not a formal diagnosis in the DSM-5 or ICD-10, and it is not well known in the U.S., though it is widely acknowledged in the U.K.

The core of PDA is an anxiety-driven need for autonomy. PDA causes someone to avoid demands and expectations for the sole purpose of remaining in control. When faced with a demand (even a really minor one), PDAers can have extreme reactions.

These intense reactions can be to demands that seem really minor to others (e.g., putting one glass in the dishwasher, doing one math problem, taking a shower). PDAers even have this intense negative reaction to demands that they themselves WANT to meet. They often really want to do it (be productive, be compliant, go to school, do the homework, have a job, etc.) but they cannot, because the anxiety is so intense. There is an incredibly strong feeling of "I can't have my freedom be impinged on by external demands."

https://www.drdonnahenderson.com/post/grow-your-blog-community

the negative reactions can vary, but it's freeze response for me.

71 dB

I took this Autism online test.

My score was 40 out of a possible 50.
Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Autistic traits (Autism).

Some of the questions were difficult to answer and I wish there was option "I don't know." For example the question

9. I am fascinated by dates.

This is a bit difficult to interpret for a non-native English speaker. Dates as in "Feb. 28, 2024", meeting someone for relationship intentions or the fruits of Phoenix dactylifera, commonly known as the date palm?  :D Could be anything of these without additional context. Maybe I need to take an idiotism test too?  :D 

Florestan

Your score was 17 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 0-25 range indicate few or no Autistic traits.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on February 28, 2024, 08:00:31 AMI am fascinated by dates.

I think this is something for @Cato 's Grammar Grumble Thread. Shouldn't it be data rather than dates;D 
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on February 28, 2024, 10:28:23 AMI think this is something for @Cato 's Grammar Grumble Thread. Shouldn't it be data rather than dates;D 

But data is the plural of datum.

drogulus

I prefer to concentrate on the essentials typewise.

Does my personality make me look fat?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0