Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 07, 2018, 02:22:03 PM
Maybe Brilliant will take it on.

That would certainly make sense they already graced us with one on Shostakovich.

Hattoff

Unfortunately, the problem with recording a complete Prokofiev edition is that several works have never been published and they are locked away in various archives in Russia. Apart from the music for the the films Tonya, Partisans of the Ukrainian Steppes, Lermontov and Kotovsky the muslc is probably of minor interest; certainly to Boosey and Hawkes who I contacted about the matter some years ago. I'm always hoping that somebody famous (Gergiev?) will take up the cause but I think I will have passed on before then.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Hattoff on January 08, 2018, 04:03:04 AM
Unfortunately, the problem with recording a complete Prokofiev edition is that several works have never been published and they are locked away in various archives in Russia. Apart from the music for the the films Tonya, Partisans of the Ukrainian Steppes, Lermontov and Kotovsky the muslc is probably of minor interest; certainly to Boosey and Hawkes who I contacted about the matter some years ago. I'm always hoping that somebody famous (Gergiev?) will take up the cause but I think I will have passed on before then.

I was really referring to not a 'Complete Edition' but a box set that collects his solo piano music, ballets, orchestral works (most of them anyway), symphonies, chamber music, operas, etc.

kyjo

I used to feel rather ambivalent towards Prokofiev's 6th Symphony, having only heard the Jarvi recording on Chandos, but after hearing Litton's superb recent recording on BIS, I have warmed up considerably to the work. To my ears, Jarvi's recording is rather harsh and unforgiving compared to Litton's, which is more in tune with the lyrical and atmospheric aspects of the score. Anyway, the 6th is a strange, enigmatic work that is probably the darkest thing Prokofiev ever wrote. Its sense of disillusionment is in direct contrast to the predominantly confident, celebratory mood of the 5th. Particularly remarkable is the finale, which begins quite innocently with a jaunty melody in the violins, but becomes progressively more bitter and uneasy until its final 'scream of terror' (as I saw the ending described earlier in this thread). Overall, the 5th is still my favorite Prokofiev symphony, but I feel that the 6th may possibly be his greatest and that it will grow on me. What do fellow GMGers think of this work? Any favorite performances?

[asin]B00BORVU9I[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Prokofiev's 6th is a great work, Kyle. That Litton performance is top-drawer. I love all of Litton's Prokofiev recordings on BIS (so far). I hope he finishes the cycle.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2018, 06:08:43 PM
Prokofiev's 6th is a great work, Kyle. That Litton performance is top-drawer. I love all of Litton's Prokofiev recordings on BIS (so far). I hope he finishes the cycle.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to check out his other Prokofiev recordings. Litton really seems to know how to effectively balance all the different aspects of Prokofiev's musical personality, if his recording of the 6th is anything to go by.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

According to Wikipedia:

The symphony, written as an elegy of the tragedies of World War II, has often been regarded as the darker twin to the victorious Symphony No. 5 in B-flat major. Prokofiev said of the symphony, "Now we are rejoicing in our great victory, but each of us has wounds that cannot be healed. One has lost those dear to him, another has lost his health. These must not be forgotten."

Mirror Image

The 6th followed by the 2nd and 7th are my favorite Prokofiev symphonies.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2018, 06:41:32 PM
According to Wikipedia:

The symphony, written as an elegy of the tragedies of World War II, has often been regarded as the darker twin to the victorious Symphony No. 5 in B-flat major. Prokofiev said of the symphony, "Now we are rejoicing in our great victory, but each of us has wounds that cannot be healed. One has lost those dear to him, another has lost his health. These must not be forgotten."

Great quote!

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2018, 06:44:40 PM
The 6th followed by the 2nd and 7th are my favorite Prokofiev symphonies.

The 2nd and 7th symphonies are two great, underrated works (and completely different from each other!). The two Prokofiev symphonies I've never been too keen on are the 1st and 4th. The 1st is pleasant, but hardly a significant work IMO. And the 4th seems to lack quite a bit of coherence, but I've only heard the lengthier revised version.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 08, 2018, 07:08:22 PM
The 2nd and 7th symphonies are two great, underrated works (and completely different from each other!). The two Prokofiev symphonies I've never been too keen on are the 1st and 4th. The 1st is pleasant, but hardly a significant work IMO. And the 4th seems to lack quite a bit of coherence, but I've only heard the lengthier revised version.

Well, to be fair, I do like the 5th a lot as well, but, to steal from Wikipedia, I like the 'darker twin' much more. The 1st, 3rd, and 4th are the weakest of the cycle IMHO, although I do find the 1st fun in a lighthearted way.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 08, 2018, 06:07:04 PM
I used to feel rather ambivalent towards Prokofiev's 6th Symphony, having only heard the Jarvi recording on Chandos, but after hearing Litton's superb recent recording on BIS, I have warmed up considerably to the work. To my ears, Jarvi's recording is rather harsh and unforgiving compared to Litton's, which is more in tune with the lyrical and atmospheric aspects of the score. Anyway, the 6th is a strange, enigmatic work that is probably the darkest thing Prokofiev ever wrote. Its sense of disillusionment is in direct contrast to the predominantly confident, celebratory mood of the 5th. Particularly remarkable is the finale, which begins quite innocently with a jaunty melody in the violins, but becomes progressively more bitter and uneasy until its final 'scream of terror' (as I saw the ending described earlier in this thread). Overall, the 5th is still my favorite Prokofiev symphony, but I feel that the 6th may possibly be his greatest and that it will grow on me. What do fellow GMGers think of this work? Any favorite performances?

[asin]B00BORVU9I[/asin]

I asked my daughter to buy me this recording for Christmas a year or two ago. It is a fantastic performance - as good as I know. I came to know the work through Martinon's ORTF recording, which I have a soft spot for. Coincidentally I have just ordered Martinon's Testament recording of Symphony 5. I think No.6 is the greatest but No.5 is magnificent as well, with Rozhdestvensky (Melodiya) as my favourite version. My next favourite is No.3 which has a wonderful opening movement, then 2,4 and 1 which I don't really like at all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 05:46:31 AM
I asked my daughter to buy me this recording for Christmas a year or two ago. It is a fantastic performance - as good as I know. I came to know the work through Martinon's ORTF recording, which I have a soft spot for. Coincidentally I have just ordered Martinon's Testament recording of Symphony 5. I think No.6 is the greatest but No.5 is magnificent as well, with Rozhdestvensky (Melodiya) as my favourite version. My next favourite is No.3 which has a wonderful opening movement, then 2,4 and 1 which I don't really like at all.

My order of preference for the symphonies is very similar to yours (surprise, surprise ;D) - currently I would say 5, 6, 7, 3, 2, 4, 1. Do you know the 7th, Jeffrey? I see you didn't include it in your ranking.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2018, 07:01:58 AM
My order of preference for the symphonies is very similar to yours (surprise, surprise ;D) - currently I would say 5, 6, 7, 3, 2, 4, 1. Do you know the 7th, Jeffrey? I see you didn't include it in your ranking.

Silly me! Yes and it's coupled with Symphony 5 on the Testament Martinon CD I just ordered. Yes, I do know it. I prefer the original version without the rather fake 'jolly' ending. I think I'd put 7 either before or after No.2 on my list. I need to listen to it again - which I will be doing soon!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2018, 07:07:14 AM
Silly me! Yes and it's coupled with Symphony 5 on the Testament Martinon CD I just ordered. Yes, I do know it. I prefer the original version without the rather fake 'jolly' ending. I think I'd put 7 either before or after No.2 on my list. I need to listen to it again - which I will be doing soon!
:)

Ah okay! :) The 7th is such a lovely, nostalgic work. Although the first movement (with its unforgettable second theme) is definitely the strongest IMO I still really like the work overall. And yes, I too prefer the original, valedictory ending (who doesn't!) with its "music box" bell sounds (foreshadowing the ending of Shostakovich 15 perhaps?). But the fake 'jolly' ending is really quite comical ;D

SymphonicAddict

My favorite symphony is the No. 5. The 3rd mov. is one of his finest slow movements, and in general, one of his greatest creations, always always gets me! My order would be like that: 5, 3, 2, 7, 6, 1, 4-op. 112, 4-op. 47.

relm1

What makes Prokofiev such a fine composer is I agree with what everyone is saying about why each Symphony is their favorite.  They are all really so good and unique.  I really like No. 4, op. 112 with Kirill Karabits/Bournemouth.  I find it very exciting and love the great harmonic clashes at the end of the first and last movement that are seeking to resolve with the pedal tone.  Great and exciting symphony.  Meanwhile, No. 4, op. 47 is different enough that I don't mind having two versions.  For me, No. 7 has only one version, the original ending and I don't fully understand why labels would offer a choice since the poignant original ending is so much more compelling.  But my point is each of these works are great and unique in to themselves.  I wish MTT/SFO would make a complete cycle.  I have never heard No. 3 as devastatingly powerful as the live performance I heard of him conduct that work in San Francisco.  I love his LSO No. 5 as well so clearly he is a natural at Prokofiev.   

Karl Henning

Good call.  Each of the eight symphonies (given the two versions of the Fourth) is a distinct utterance.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Rons_talking

Quote from: relm1 on January 09, 2018, 09:06:41 AM
What makes Prokofiev such a fine composer is I agree with what everyone is saying about why each Symphony is their favorite.  They are all really so good and unique.  I really like No. 4, op. 112 with Kirill Karabits/Bournemouth.  I find it very exciting and love the great harmonic clashes at the end of the first and last movement that are seeking to resolve with the pedal tone.  Great and exciting symphony.  Meanwhile, No. 4, op. 47 is different enough that I don't mind having two versions.  For me, No. 7 has only one version, the original ending and I don't fully understand why labels would offer a choice since the poignant original ending is so much more compelling.  But my point is each of these works are great and unique in to themselves.  I wish MTT/SFO would make a complete cycle.  I have never heard No. 3 as devastatingly powerful as the live performance I heard of him conduct that work in San Francisco.  I love his LSO No. 5 as well so clearly he is a natural at Prokofiev.

I agree.  All of the symphonies are unique masterworks and I really have a weakness for the 3rd...always have

Baron Scarpia

I've struggled to find my way except for the 5th and 7th.