Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

While driving about on my sundry errands this weekend, I listened to some of the Prokofiev symphonies on my phone.  I saw that I have two CSO recordings of the Classical, with Giulini and Levine;  and I began with the GiuliniGiulini elected not to take the symphony as an exercise in speed, but instead gave the music room to be gracious (which [ a ] personally, I have always felt is truer to Prokofiev's intent of tapping into the world of "Papa," and [ b ] was one of the things which I immediately liked about the Ozawa set).  The band sound great, and the music is both energetic and sweet.  While Levine plugged more into the BAU (= Business As Usual) approach of rushing the outer movements – I shan't hide the fact that I find that approach almost inherently tiresome – his recording does not lose nearly as much of the brilliant scoring detail which most speedfests do, as they run roughshod over an exquisite score in the dubious interests of 'showing off'.  All in all, very interesting to hear (much) the same orchestra play the same piece in two different ways.  Levine's is not my 'preferred approach', but is nevertheless an enjoyable and musical recording.

I listened to the first, and the beginning of the second, movements of the Sixth in the Leinsdorf recording with the BSO.  Years (decades?) ago I heard a standalone CD reissue of a Leinsdorf/BSO recording which I found sonically repulsive.  However, positive experience with the reissued Munch/BSO/Berlioz recordings disposed to me to try again, when the Prokofiev box came out.  As with the Munch, it is wonderful that the band sound as good as they do here;  there is a winsome immediacy and warmth.  (And whenever I hear it, I think that any listener who responds to the poignant oboe-&-violin tune in the first movement, could not in good conscience dismiss the Seventh Symphony as "old man's music.")
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

To what extent did Scriabin influence Prokofiev?  Did he ever hear The Poem of Ecstasy which I think has some passing resemblance to Scythian Suite from just a few years later. 

BasilValentine

Quote from: relm1 on August 10, 2018, 04:53:10 PM
To what extent did Scriabin influence Prokofiev?  Did he ever hear The Poem of Ecstasy which I think has some passing resemblance to Scythian Suite from just a few years later.

Don't know about that, but Prokofiev attended every rehearsal for the premiere of The Divine Poem as a young teen. Harlow Robinson suggests that his attraction to the work was enhanced by the fact that it intensely annoyed his teacher, Rimsky-Korsakoff. I always heard Scythian Suite in relation to The Rite of Spring.

Karl Henning

But, Visions fugitives in the light of Skryabin, does not seem at all farfetched to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

What is your favorite recording of Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2?  For me, this requires excellent orchestral accompaniment, not just virtuoso piano.  I'm liking the Oli Mustonen/Hannu Lintu/Finnish Radio Symphony disc.  Very well recorded and paced.  One issue I have is half the time the piano sounds distant and other times up in your face.  It feels like the piano mics were not well set.

Daverz

Quote from: relm1 on September 09, 2018, 04:17:47 PM
What is your favorite recording of Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2?  For me, this requires excellent orchestral accompaniment, not just virtuoso piano.  I'm liking the Oli Mustonen/Hannu Lintu/Finnish Radio Symphony disc.  Very well recorded and paced.  One issue I have is half the time the piano sounds distant and other times up in your face.  It feels like the piano mics were not well set.

Yuja Wang is good in this one.

[asin]
B00EBJ624O[/asin]

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: relm1 on September 09, 2018, 04:17:47 PM

This one meets all your requirements: pianist and orchestra in perfect harmony (no pun intended) and fabulous sonics. Not to mention it's a bargain.

[asin]B00IRQBVES[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Sydney Nova Scotia

Yesterday's list was different than today's and today's will be different than tomorrow's...

Jascha Heifetz

Yehudi Menuhin

Janine Jansen

Reinhard Goebel (Musica Antiqua Köln)

Arthur Grumiaux
Sydney is my name and games is my game

vandermolen

This (No.2) is my favourite of the Prokofiev piano concertos. I like No.3 but am probably over-familiar with it. The Hyperion CD is excellent in all respects and I lover the cover art as well,  which can be found adorning the front of some other recordings of Russian/Soviet composers. I've often thought highly of performances conducted by Alexander Lazarev including a very fine CD of Shostakovich's Symphony 11. By the way the CD below is available, second hand, for under 10p on Amazon UK - an amazing bargain.
[asin]B000002ZXK[/asin]
And under $1 on Amazon.com.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

I think I have some "problems" with the 2nd Piano Concerto and I don't know why!! I've listened to some recordings but, strangely, I don't get it. It should appeal to me. The fantastic coda in the 1st movement is something ridiculously crazy, how can anyone play this? That is insane!!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 02, 2018, 11:19:11 AM
I think I have some "problems" with the 2nd Piano Concerto and I don't know why!! I've listened to some recordings but, strangely, I don't get it. It should appeal to me. The fantastic coda in the 1st movement is something ridiculously crazy, how can anyone play this? That is insane!!

Which are you favourite Prokofiev PCs Cesar?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Wow, I think the complete opposite.  It stopped me in my tracks from start to finish.  Literally, I was driving while it was broadcast on the radio.  Half way through the work, I arrived home but would lose signal when I parked my car so I parked on the street to hear the rest of it. It did not disappoint.  I especially loved the final cadenza.  Such an exciting work.  Unfortunately, I don't remember who the performers were but they were Russian (I remembered that detail). 

kyjo

To me, the first movement is undoubtedly the high point of the work - epic and powerful with a great sense of looming menace. The cadenza is stunning, as is the terrifying orchestral entrance at its conclusion. After that, the rest of the movements come as a bit of an anticlimactic disappointment to me - but, after all, how could Prokofiev top that magnificent first movement? So, I enjoy his 1st and 3rd PCs a bit more overall, but the first movement of the 2nd is really something special.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 02, 2018, 08:05:04 PM
To me, the first movement is undoubtedly the high point of the work - epic and powerful with a great sense of looming menace. The cadenza is stunning, as is the terrifying orchestral entrance at its conclusion. After that, the rest of the movements come as a bit of an anticlimactic disappointment to me - but, after all, how could Prokofiev top that magnificent first movement? So, I enjoy his 1st and 3rd PCs a bit more overall, but the first movement of the 2nd is really something special.

I tend to agree with you Kyle although I thoroughly enjoy the whole work. However, the high point for me is that section which seems to suggest a sense of looming catastrophe and impending disaster at the end of the first movement.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2018, 12:25:59 PM
Which are you favourite Prokofiev PCs Cesar?

I am with Kyle in his assessment: I prefer the short and compact 1st and the lyrical 3rd overall. The 4th and 5th are kind of elusive, albeit to be honest, I'm not that familiar with them.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: relm1 on October 02, 2018, 04:48:54 PM
Wow, I think the complete opposite.  It stopped me in my tracks from start to finish.  Literally, I was driving while it was broadcast on the radio.  Half way through the work, I arrived home but would lose signal when I parked my car so I parked on the street to hear the rest of it. It did not disappoint.  I especially loved the final cadenza.  Such an exciting work.  Unfortunately, I don't remember who the performers were but they were Russian (I remembered that detail).

I'll have to re-evaluate my assessment about the 2nd. Perhaps I have not heard the right performance for my ears, though.

SymphonicAddict

Maybe the consistency of the four movements is the reason why the concerto does not impress me so much.

Karl Henning

I am reminded that I need to revisit the Op.16;  I do not remember any dissatisfaction with it, at all.

Separately:  Not that I should be at all surprised, but On the Dnieper, Op.51 is wonderful and luscious.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Overtones

High point of the work, of piano concerto history, of Prokofiev's oeuvre, and one of the highest points of XX century music overall.

:)

pjme

Kitajenko and Leonskaja: a great combination. Check out the tuba player.

https://www.youtube.com/v/coCygbSEg7Q