Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2012, 05:00:04 PM
Revisiting Slava in the Shostakovich Fourth & Thirteenth, plus Greg's enthusiasm for his recording of the Prokofiev Sixth ... and what should I chance upon at BRO but his set of the symphonies for $20.

Rostropovich's set of Prokofiev symphonies is a treat, Karl. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Karl Henning

I also found Yakov Kasman's set of complete Prokofiev & Skryabin sonatas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2012, 05:11:18 PM
I also found Yakov Kasman's set of complete Prokofiev & Skryabin sonatas.

Cool, Karl. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2012, 05:00:04 PM
Revisiting Slava in the Shostakovich Fourth & Thirteenth, plus Greg's enthusiasm for his recording of the Prokofiev Sixth ... and what should I chance upon at BRO but his set of the symphonies for $20.

The 6th is very good, the perfect Vivace for the finale. I hope you find the same joy I did...and, yes, original 7th ending is included  ;D

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2012, 05:00:04 PMRevisiting Slava in the Shostakovich Fourth & Thirteenth, plus Greg's enthusiasm for his recording of the Prokofiev Sixth ... and what should I chance upon at BRO but his set of the symphonies for $20.

Rostrop treads dangerously slowly at times, but when his approach works he makes Prokofiev sound echt-Russian. See symphonies 1, 3, 6 and 7. Enjoy!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on June 27, 2012, 05:46:24 PM
Rostrop treads dangerously slowly at times, but when his approach works he makes Prokofiev sound echt-Russian. See symphonies 1, 3, 6 and 7. Enjoy!

This slowness is apparent in the finale of no.4, Op.112, it loses much of its drive and falls flat on intensity, which is a shame because the other movements are good.

Fafner

Decided to finally make a go of the Prokofiev Piano Concerti (amazing I have not listened to them until recently).  I started with a famous recording,

[asin]B000001GQQ[/asin]

My reaction was not good.  Impressive enough performance, I thought, but the music is dreadful.

For a while I left it at that.  But then I figured I would try again.  I was astonished at how sparse the choices are for a cycle of the Prokofiev concerti, and it seemed that every complete set had something that put me off.  Then I stumbled on this one:

(this is the original issue, but there is also a bargain-priced re-release).

[asin]B0002OMOZS[/asin]

Never heard of Krainev, but Kitaenko is familiar to me, and Teldec is my favorite record label, so I went for it.

Wow!  This is one of the best recordings I have heard for years!  Under Krainev's magic fingers the third concerto (which under Argerich/Abbado sounded to me like someone trying to destroy a piano while being drowned out by an orchestra) turned into miracle that was at once lyrical and angular.  The forth and fifth concerti are even more stunning in their quirky beauty.  Kitaenko does a superb job in producing a vibrant orchestral accompaniment that does not overwhelm the soloist.  The sound is demonstration-quality, especially if you have a system which can do justice to low frequencies, and can project the judicious use of bass drum at key points in the music.  Suddenly, the piano concerti are my favorite works by Prokofiev.

Karl Henning

Cool.  (I've not heard the Argerich, though I grieve to hear it does not give satisfaction, as generally I am an Argerich fan-boy.)  If you find yourself in the mood for another set (I do have the Krainev, and like it very well, too) allow me to suggest either the Béroff/Masur/Gewandhaus or Berman & Gutiérrez/Concertgebouworkest/Järvi.  Either, or both, as you may wish : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Fafner

Quote from: karlhenning on July 20, 2012, 05:53:22 AM
Cool.  (I've not heard the Argerich, though I grieve to hear it does not give satisfaction, as generally I am an Argerich fan-boy.)  If you find yourself in the mood for another set (I do have the Krainev, and like it very well, too) allow me to suggest either the Béroff/Masur/Gewandhaus or Berman & Gutiérrez/Concertgebouworkest/Järvi.  Either, or both, as you may wish : )

I find Argerich hits or misses.  The Ravel concerto in G from the same session (in my impression) landed like a dollop of peanut butter on a granite countertop, but the later recording of the same work, again with Abbado but with the LSO, was effervescent. 

[asin]B000001G9Q[/asin]

Beroff is the other Profiev set I seriously considered but wasn't optimistic that EMI would provide the best audio engineering.  I ordinarily get Jarvi recordings only if he is literally the only option.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Fafner on July 20, 2012, 06:03:10 AM
. . .  I ordinarily get Jarvi recordings only if he is literally the only option.

I appreciate your caution here, possibly none better, as he no doubt recorded a great deal more Prokofiev then he allowed himself time to learn and/or rehearse.  But the five pf concerti are one of the things he managed to do right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: Fafner on July 20, 2012, 05:36:01 AM
Decided to finally make a go of the Prokofiev Piano Concerti (amazing I have not listened to them until recently).  I started with a famous recording,

[asin]B000001GQQ[/asin]

My reaction was not good.  Impressive enough performance, I thought, but the music is dreadful.

For a while I left it at that.  But then I figured I would try again.  I was astonished at how sparse the choices are for a cycle of the Prokofiev concerti, and it seemed that every complete set had something that put me off.  Then I stumbled on this one:

(this is the original issue, but there is also a bargain-priced re-release).

[asin]B0002OMOZS[/asin]

Never heard of Krainev, but Kitaenko is familiar to me, and Teldec is my favorite record label, so I went for it.

Wow!  This is one of the best recordings I have heard for years!  Under Krainev's magic fingers the third concerto (which under Argerich/Abbado sounded to me like someone trying to destroy a piano while being drowned out by an orchestra) turned into miracle that was at once lyrical and angular.  The forth and fifth concerti are even more stunning in their quirky beauty.  Kitaenko does a superb job in producing a vibrant orchestral accompaniment that does not overwhelm the soloist.  The sound is demonstration-quality, especially if you have a system which can do justice to low frequencies, and can project the judicious use of bass drum at key points in the music.  Suddenly, the piano concerti are my favorite works by Prokofiev.

Teldec has won my fealty with their sincerely consistent bloomin' sound quality. I will practically buy any Teldec sight unseen. Seeing their logo gives me a b....

See, got the juices flowin' just thinking about piano image! :P

The new erato

Supraphon is reissuing this cheaply:

PROKOFIEV Symphonies Nos. 1-7. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra / Zdenek Kosler. Supraphon 4cds

Does anybody know it?

not edward

A truly curious quote from the Guardian review of a Proms performance of the Sixth Symphony:

QuoteProkofiev's Sixth formed the second half. Unveiled in 1947, it has never achieved a fraction of the popularity of its immediate predecessor, which is usually regarded as his best work in the form, and its treatment of ideas of mixed quality – some genuinely striking, others sounding curiously half-formed – scarcely feels truly symphonic in intent. But Oramo held it together remarkably, giving it a sense of impetus and coherence that proved surprisingly persuasive.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

eyeresist

Quote from: Fafner on July 20, 2012, 05:36:01 AM[asin]B000001GQQ[/asin]

I wouldn't count on those two to shine my shoes.

I like the Beroff/Masur set a lot.

Quote from: The new erato on July 21, 2012, 08:24:32 AMSupraphon is reissuing this cheaply:

PROKOFIEV Symphonies Nos. 1-7. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra / Zdenek Kosler. Supraphon 4cds

Whaaaaaaaat???? This one is finally back? I GOTTA HAVE IT.

The new erato

Quote from: eyeresist on July 22, 2012, 05:57:58 PM
Whaaaaaaaat???? This one is finally back? I GOTTA HAVE IT.
Because of the nice cover, or are there other aspects of it you covet? Inquiring minds want to know, even if it's only a few words......I have absolutely no knowledge of this.

Here's a link:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/prokofiev-symphonies-nos-1-7-czech-orchestra-zdenek-kosler-supraphon-4cds.html

Newly remastered it says, but little info as to recording date etc (one of the earliest complete recordings doesn't say much.......)

Karl Henning

It's not saying much more, but . . . as much as I enjoy Košler's recording of the Shostakovich Ninth, I should readily give ear to a Prokofiev cycle under his baton.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bumtz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on July 23, 2012, 07:42:59 AM
Mmm, sound samples (of Nos 1 & 2)

A bit odd of them to list the Fourth by the dual opus number . . . though I guess it is in fact the Op.112.

The first (and arguably the third) CD is on the short side, but the samples are quite enticing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: bumtz on July 23, 2012, 07:39:41 AM
As per Supraphon website, these are 1973-82 recordings.

http://www.supraphon.com/en/catalogue/releases/?item=1173

Thanks, didn't know Supraphon had a website (or rather; didn't think of it).