Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on February 27, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
Picked this up on the recommendation of GMGers, and man is it a beauty:

James Levine has been most impressive outside of the opera house: one of my favorite CD's of his (no longer in print for some dumb reason) contains a slam-dunk performance of Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces with other slam-dunk performances of Berg and Webern orchestral pieces.

I am not sure why DGG chose such cover art:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Cato on February 27, 2014, 10:39:51 AM
James Levine has been most impressive outside of the opera house: one of my favorite CD's of his (no longer in print for some dumb reason) contains a slam-dunk performance of Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces with other slam-dunk performances of Berg and Webern orchestral pieces.

Levine has a splendid disc of Berg's music with The Met Orchestra on Sony. Definitely worth checking out.

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on February 27, 2014, 09:35:03 AM
It will come as no surprise to many here that I am a great fan of the Second, and it is the first movement (Allegro ben articolato) wherewith Slava puzzles me most, we might say.  He makes that first movement a curiously lyrical affair, to a degree which almost seems to flout what the composer himself remarked about the piece ("iron and steel"). (Of course, you may guess that Slava handles the theme of the second movement's variations beautifully.)  So, I should call it an interpretation worth hearing, and beautifully rendered by the orchestra, though not an interpretation I could truly endorse.
I wonder if this might reflect Prokofiev's views of the work at the time when he and Rostropovich were close towards the end of his life. I know that he had planned a new, three-movement version of the work to be published as his op 136; perhaps he planned to soften the contours of the opening movement some.

Personally I find the hard edges of the opening movement thoroughly appropriate, firstly as a contrast to the variation movement and secondly given that the work is obviously modelled on Beethoven's op 111. (I've wondered if it's perhaps intentional that Prokofiev's last three major orchestral works all carry opus numbers very significant in Beethoven's output: the 6th symphony--which was originally intended to be dedicated to Beethoven's memory--being op 111, the Symphony-Concerto being op 125 and the 7th symphony being op 131.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

NJ Joe

Quote from: Cato on February 27, 2014, 10:39:51 AM

I believe this is also out of print, and contains an excellent performance of Concerto For Orchestra and a slam-dunk of MFSPAC:

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on February 27, 2014, 03:29:21 PM
I wonder if this might reflect Prokofiev's views of the work at the time when he and Rostropovich were close towards the end of his life. I know that he had planned a new, three-movement version of the work to be published as his op 136; perhaps he planned to soften the contours of the opening movement some.

Personally I find the hard edges of the opening movement thoroughly appropriate, firstly as a contrast to the variation movement and secondly given that the work is obviously modelled on Beethoven's op 111. (I've wondered if it's perhaps intentional that Prokofiev's last three major orchestral works all carry opus numbers very significant in Beethoven's output: the 6th symphony--which was originally intended to be dedicated to Beethoven's memory--being op 111, the Symphony-Concerto being op 125 and the 7th symphony being op 131.)

Most interesting, thanks, Edward!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

I'll just ask again who we like in Symphonies 2 and 3. Muti was which one?

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on February 28, 2014, 08:01:15 AM

Leinsdorf, Ozawa & Polyansky for the Op.40.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

not edward

Of the recordings I've heard, I'd go for the live Concertgebouw/Kondrashin in the 3rd. It's a work that suits Kondrashin's approach very well, IMO.

Honorable mentions would go to Muti and Leinsdorf, certainly.

I'll second Karl's suggestions in the 2nd--in fact, I'm off to listen to Polyansky over my lunch break.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Karl Henning

I seem to remember Abbado being good with the Third, as well . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

relm1

Any opinions on this new recording?  I have my eye on it but the samples don't sway me yet.  Would love an opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Symphonies-Nos-3-7/dp/B00IRDGJAC

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: relm1 on March 12, 2014, 07:31:59 AM
Any opinions on this new recording?  I have my eye on it but the samples don't sway me yet.  Would love an opinion.

For $0.99 you can purchase the alternate ending. That's funny.

I am interested to hear it, It's available on Spotify so I'll have a listen. Thanks you posting!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: relm1 on March 12, 2014, 07:31:59 AM

I'm going to pass on buying the Karabits disc of Nos. 3 & 7, sampled a good amount on Spotify (more than half of each piece) and it was very uninspiring to me. The energy felt lackluster in the 3rd, and the 7th felt too bland.
Now the Gergiev I did buy, and it also is a little disappointing. I have yet to listen to the PC as I went straight for the Symphony No. 5. The performance is well-played, very exciting and swift which is what I expect from Gergiev, but there's little emotion to match the brawniness.

Daverz

I remember Chailly as being spectacular.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on February 28, 2014, 08:55:09 AM
Leinsdorf, Ozawa & Polyansky for the Op.40.

Quote from: Daverz on March 12, 2014, 08:15:34 PM
I remember Chailly as being spectacular.

I agree with these... No.2 Leinsdorf, Ozawa, and No.3 Muti, Chailly

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 12, 2014, 08:11:20 PM

Now the Gergiev I did buy, and it also is a little disappointing. I have yet to listen to the PC as I went straight for the Symphony No. 5. The performance is well-played, very exciting and swift which is what I expect from Gergiev, but there's little emotion to match the brawniness.

Pretty much what I figured. I haven't impressed with a Gergiev recording in years.

relm1

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 12, 2014, 08:11:20 PM

I'm going to pass on buying the Karabits disc of Nos. 3 & 7, sampled a good amount on Spotify (more than half of each piece) and it was very uninspiring to me. The energy felt lackluster in the 3rd, and the 7th felt too bland.

I just listened to the Karabits disc of Nos. 3 & 7 and found it disappointing.  Symphony No. 3 is tame in an Ozawa cycle way.  Basically, the emphasis is on the lyricism so the melodies are phrased at the expense of the manic violence.  But then on Symphony No. 7, which should benefit from this approach, it dragged and lacked wit.  The recording is also quite strange in its balance.  There are close mics that pick up instruments that are really just a gesture and in a live context, would not really be heard as much as provide an accent or color to someone else.  For example, individual notes of the harp are heard as if closely miced even against loud tutti brass stabs.  The reason why this matters is that is not a natural sound and the blend of textures is lost.  Very important with Prokofiev.  Meanwhile, fff tam-tam smashes are tame.  This would be earth shaking in performance.  Horns and percussion sound very distant but solo trombone right in your ear.  Just a very unnatural blend...my search continues. 

I heard MTT/San Francisco play this live and wow they went for the jugular and that is what I am trying to find but unfortunately, it is not available.  I did hear it on their radio blog and it reminded me what an intense performance that was.

Ken B

I have no R&J. Not even a suite or a waltz. Bupkis. So which R&J recordings are excellent ones?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on March 21, 2014, 07:13:56 PM
I have no R&J. Not even a suite or a waltz. Bupkis. So which R&J recordings are excellent ones?

For complete...

[asin] B000001G8Z[/asin]

For excerpts...

[asin] B000003FYG[/asin] [asin] B0000041XN[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 21, 2014, 07:13:56 PM

I will back up Monkey Greg's nomination of the Ozawa/BSO recording but I've currently been enjoying Previn's on EMI: