Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2014, 02:38:13 PM
I love those two songs in the Kizhe Suite!

Me too and v interesting to hear them sung.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Does anyone here have knowledge of the status of Ala i Lolli, ballet?  I don't mean the sychian suite that came after but the original source material?  I see it was withdrawn but one might imply that somewhere exists extant material of the ballet that is worthy of investigation.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on January 26, 2015, 01:35:13 AM
Does anyone here have knowledge of the status of Ala i Lolli, ballet?  I don't mean the sychian suite that came after but the original source material?  I see it was withdrawn but one might imply that somewhere exists extant material of the ballet that is worthy of investigation.

I should double-check, but my impression is that the Scythian Suite may have been It.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 26, 2015, 05:46:00 AM
I should double-check, but my impression is that the Scythian Suite may have been It.
My understanding was that it was rejected before it was completed. How much of it was completed by the time it was rejected? This I don't know. But I have never seen anything but the Suite.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 26, 2015, 06:16:15 AM
My understanding was that it was rejected before it was completed. How much of it was completed by the time it was rejected? This I don't know.

A quick look in the David Nice book confirms this: an incomplete piano score, and he began scoring before completing the composition.  Nice makes a remark which suggests that he has seen the inc. pf score.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2015, 05:29:28 PM

A quick look in the David Nice book confirms this: an incomplete piano score, and he began scoring before completing the composition.  Nice makes a remark which suggests that he has seen the inc. pf score.
So is there a piece called "Alla and Lolly" that exists in a performable version?

Karl Henning

Per this, Brian . . . where does the Alsop cycle presently stand?  TIA!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on March 31, 2015, 05:39:02 AM
Per this, Brian . . . where does the Alsop cycle presently stand?  TIA!
Looks like after this disc, all that's left will be 6 & 7. Symphonies 1, 2, 4 (coupled with the ballet), and 5 have been released over the last year or so.

Karl Henning

Copying this over from another thread:

Quote from: some guy on March 27, 2015, 09:57:04 AM
[ snip ]

It didn't really grab me, but I don't really worry so much about being grabbed any more. In fact, I'm only using this thread as an excuse to make that point. It was Prokofiev, oddly enough, who broke me of that expectation, that desire. With few exceptions, those being the earliest pieces I heard--Kije, Peter & the Wolf, symphony 5 (but only grabbed by the scherzo), the Dance of the Knights from Romeo & Juliet--every other piece seemed meh at first hearing. Empty, hollow, unimpressive. But what had grabbed me kept me at it until I thoroughly enjoyed almost every thing of Prokofiev. In fact, I got to the point where I would listen to a new for me piece by Prokofiev, knowing it would underwhelm me and not being concerned by that at all. I knew that that would change, and with the exception of Boris Godunov and Hamlet and the unlistenable Zdravitsa, I do now enjoy all of Prokofiev.

Well, it was a short step from noticing that each Prokofiev piece went from "meh" to "delightful" to concluding that expecting to be grabbed was probably not a very useful or desirable desire.

So I have pretty much scrapped it.

I bring it up to encourage all my friends and acquaintances to scrap it as well. :)

[ snip ]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Are there any good new recordings of the 6th symphony? I mean newer than Mravinsky in Prague!

(added: i just noticed a favourable comment about a recording from Andrew Litton which I'll try to hear.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2015, 12:08:00 PM
Are there any good new recordings of the 6th symphony? I mean newer than Mravinsky in Prague!

(added: i just noticed a favourable comment about a recording from Andrew Litton which I'll try to hear.)

The Litton is excellent. I like the version by the late Walter Weller too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lescamil

Did anyone hear the BBC Proms marathon concert with all 5 piano concertos? It had Trifonov playing 1 and 3. Babayan playing 2 and 5, and Volodin playing 4, all conducted by Gergiev with the LSO. I only heard 1 and 2. Trifonov played a bit reckless and carefreely, but that's to be expected from a younger pianist. Not the best performance, but it was decent. Babayan, however, played the second quite sloppily. Lots of missed notes, odd gestures... just not a comfortable-sounding performance. It didn't sound under-prepared, but just... odd. That was the only way to describe it. I might report back with impressions of the other three.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Scion7

I know this thang is 68 pages long and has a 'grandfather clause' by now and all,

but Paddy Wagon . . .  ??

Surely we could come up with a better, wittier name than that.      ::)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mandryka

How about Prokofiev's Orangery?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Prokofiev's Proktology.

The misspelling is deliberate.

Cato

Quote from: Mandryka on August 04, 2015, 12:34:59 PM
How about Prokofiev's Orangery?

Quote from: Scion7 on August 04, 2015, 05:25:57 PM
Prokofiev's Pravda!

;D

Quote from: karlhenning on August 05, 2015, 01:12:27 AM
Prokofiev's Pranks

All good ideas!  Will there be an election? 8)

For your consideration:

Prokofiev's Pagoda of Provocation

Prokofiev's Puckish Pavilion

or

Planet Prokofiev
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Having seen the suggestions, I suggest we just leave it.... :laugh: :-*
Be kind to your fellow posters!!