Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Listening to the Fifth Symphony live at the Proms right now. I've had a boxset of the 7 Symphonies for a few years (Walter Weller/London orchestras; revised No. 4), and it's a great cycle. My favourites are Nos. 2 and 4.

Karl Henning

Cheers for another fan of the Second!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2015, 03:45:40 AM
Cheers for another fan of the Second!

One of the greatest of the 20th Century! 

Be there, or be a quadrilateral!  8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

James The 1st

I need to hear more Prokofiev. So far I've really only heard the 1st two piano concertos, the 1st symphony and Romeo and Juliet. I really like the knights theme in Romeo and Juliet, probably the best threatening music I've ever heard.

Karl Henning

Quote from: James The 1st on August 13, 2015, 09:23:39 PM
I need to hear more Prokofiev. So far I've really only heard the 1st two piano concertos, the 1st symphony and Romeo and Juliet. I really like the knights theme in Romeo and Juliet, probably the best threatening music I've ever heard.

Welcome!

While I certainly love Sergei Sergeyevich's music in all genres, his piano solo work may well always have pre-eminence with me.

http://www.youtube.com/v/i6AhHBu_A_U

http://www.youtube.com/v/8rHnrpRVcDM

That said, most days (if pressed) I must admit that my very favorite Prokofiev work is the f minor Violin Sonata:

http://www.youtube.com/v/I2CNsC161Ks
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 14, 2015, 03:35:04 AM
Welcome!

While I certainly love Sergei Sergeyevich's music in all genres, his piano solo work may well always have pre-eminence with me.

That said, most days (if pressed) I must admit that my very favorite Prokofiev work is the f minor Violin Sonata:

A hearty agreement to all above.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

relm1

Any fans of the Kirill Karabits Prokofiev symphony cycle?

The last release is coming this week and features his first attempt at a symphony:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/prokofiev-symphonies-4-6-bournemouth-symphony-orchestra-kirill-karabits-onyx.html

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on October 26, 2015, 06:48:35 AM

The last release is coming this week and features his first attempt at a symphony:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/prokofiev-symphonies-4-6-bournemouth-symphony-orchestra-kirill-karabits-onyx.html

Haven't heard a note from Karabits' cycle. Have you heard anything good about it?

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2015, 07:05:53 AM
Haven't heard a note from Karabits' cycle. Have you heard anything good about it?

The reviews range from good to very good where the only reservations seem to be technical rather than musical.  I think they have gotten better in the technology as they progressed so I have high hopes for this latest release and feel like I need to revisit the first release (Symphonies No. 3 and 7).  The problem on the technical tend to be towards poor recorded balance.  I bet these sounded fantastic live but there are some unrealistic balance most noticeably in Symphony No. 3 and 7.   

I quote from Musicweb:
"The one problem I have with this CD is the recording. It is undoubtedly clear and dynamic, all the score can be heard in detail, but I have to ask what happened to the balance? Sessions at the Lighthouse involve using the centre of the hall as a flat space and it can sound very spacious, notably on Naxos' 5.1 surround recordings. Here in CD stereo the violins are bunched on the extreme left and the brass sound rather more prominent than usual from the right. There is a hole-in-the-middle effect which I associate with 1950s stereo but have rarely heard in more recent recordings. My ancient Melodiya LPs sound much better balanced. This recording team have made excellent recordings in this venue in the past (the Naxos Bernstein CD for instance) so I wonder if pressures were applied à la Karajan/DG by those who should have kept out of the control booth. Since the entire cycle is due to be recorded I hope that whatever happened technically in the Lighthouse last July is not repeated because the BSO and Karabits deserve, and usually get, better. Finally a note to the CD-text editor at Onyx to check the spelling of Prokoviev (sic) and try to get it right next time."
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Apr14/Prokofiev_sys_4137.htm

This issue was not noticed in following releases but was jarring on the first CD release.  They should remix it but I don't know if that is realistic. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on October 26, 2015, 07:36:36 AM
The reviews range from good to very good where the only reservations seem to be technical rather than musical.  I think they have gotten better in the technology as they progressed so I have high hopes for this latest release and feel like I need to revisit the first release (Symphonies No. 3 and 7).  The problem on the technical tend to be towards poor recorded balance.  I bet these sounded fantastic live but there are some unrealistic balance most noticeably in Symphony No. 3 and 7.   

I quote from Musicweb:
"The one problem I have with this CD is the recording. It is undoubtedly clear and dynamic, all the score can be heard in detail, but I have to ask what happened to the balance? Sessions at the Lighthouse involve using the centre of the hall as a flat space and it can sound very spacious, notably on Naxos' 5.1 surround recordings. Here in CD stereo the violins are bunched on the extreme left and the brass sound rather more prominent than usual from the right. There is a hole-in-the-middle effect which I associate with 1950s stereo but have rarely heard in more recent recordings. My ancient Melodiya LPs sound much better balanced. This recording team have made excellent recordings in this venue in the past (the Naxos Bernstein CD for instance) so I wonder if pressures were applied à la Karajan/DG by those who should have kept out of the control booth. Since the entire cycle is due to be recorded I hope that whatever happened technically in the Lighthouse last July is not repeated because the BSO and Karabits deserve, and usually get, better. Finally a note to the CD-text editor at Onyx to check the spelling of Prokoviev (sic) and try to get it right next time."
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Apr14/Prokofiev_sys_4137.htm

This issue was not noticed in following releases but was jarring on the first CD release.  They should remix it but I don't know if that is realistic.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely give a pass on the Karabits cycle. Plus, it's going to be hard to shake the initial impressions I got from Jarvi and Rozhdestvensky who remain my go-to cycles of the symphonies. Let me add that Andrew Litton has a number of Prokofiev recordings on the BIS label: he conducted Symphonies 5 & 6 and these are top-notch performances. Definitely worth checking out if you love these two symphonies. The couplings, The Love of Three Oranges: Symphonic Suite, Scythian Suite, and Lieutenant Kije are all equally well-played.

Brian

As I enjoy Ashkenazy's Seventh Symphony for the second time in a week, a random thought:

As a college student and teenager, Shostakovich was my big obsession and I didn't think Prokofiev was worth much. Now I still like Shostakovich plenty, but Prokofiev is my main man.

Wonder if it has something to do with the growing older aspect? Or the the-more-you-know aspect? Or maybe it's just tastes changing. Dunno. No answers here. But it's interesting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2015, 07:51:19 AM
As I enjoy Ashkenazy's Seventh Symphony for the second time in a week, a random thought:

As a college student and teenager, Shostakovich was my big obsession and I didn't think Prokofiev was worth much. Now I still like Shostakovich plenty, but Prokofiev is my main man.

Wonder if it has something to do with the growing older aspect? Or the the-more-you-know aspect? Or maybe it's just tastes changing. Dunno. No answers here. But it's interesting.

Yes, tastes do indeed change and they become more refined as we're able to get to the essential in our likes/dislikes. Prokofiev was a composer that I took to almost immediately. Shostakovich was a composer I had to work on, but whereas Shostakovich became a favorite, Prokofiev has always been a favorite and, nowadays, I would rate him higher based purely on my own listening habits and what I gravitate towards. But, that's really neither here nor there, both composers are longtime favorites and completely unbelievable.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on October 26, 2015, 07:51:19 AM

Well, as you still like Дмитрий Дмитриевич plenty, I see this overall simply as acquisition of appreciation for Сергей Сергеевич.  Very nice to see!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: relm1 on October 26, 2015, 06:48:35 AM

Just an update that I just listened to this new CD and its a winner.  An excellent performance to complete the set.  Overall the set is very fine - better than the Gergiev/LSO.  The only disappointment was the balance issues of the first CD (No. 3 and 7).

Daverz

Quote from: relm1 on October 30, 2015, 04:32:35 PM
Just an update that I just listened to this new CD and its a winner.  An excellent performance to complete the set.  Overall the set is very fine - better than the Gergiev/LSO.  The only disappointment was the balance issues of the first CD (No. 3 and 7).

The final CD just made it Tidal, and I listened to 6 earlier.  The sonics are detailed and spacious.  The interpretation is on the lyrical side, rather than dark and biting (Rozhdestvensky, Mravinsky, Papa Järvi), but I found it very satisfying.

Mirror Image

I've definitely been in a Prokofiev kind of mood lately. He's always been a composer on my radar or pretty damn near close to it! Here's a random question: if you were limited to only one work of Prokofiev's to take to a desert island with you what would it be and why?

I'll have to think about this question.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2016, 06:46:47 PM
I've definitely been in a Prokofiev kind of mood lately. He's always been a composer under my radar or pretty damn near close to it! Here's a random question: if you were limited to only one work of Prokofiev's to take to a desert island with you what would it be and why?

You mean "on" your radar, I assume. :)

Tough choice but right now I can say unequivocally the 8th piano sonata.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 24, 2016, 07:23:07 PM
You mean "on" your radar, I assume. :)

Tough choice but right now I can say unequivocally the 8th piano sonata.

Yes, I meant on. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2016, 06:46:47 PM
I've definitely been in a Prokofiev kind of mood lately. He's always been a composer on my radar or pretty damn near close to it! Here's a random question: if you were limited to only one work of Prokofiev's to take to a desert island with you what would it be and why?

There's many that deserve to be desert island picks, but I'd go with the piece from Prokofiev that I first fell in love with, Alexander Nevsky. Discovered the Dutoit/Montreal recording in High school, later the full score performed by Temirkanov/St Petersburg, then watched the film for which it was written for.
I don't believe it's Prokofiev's masterpiece,  nor does it share the compositional genius that his wartime piano sonatas or Symphonies 5 or 6 contan, but Nevsky is a favorite and has been for a long time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 25, 2016, 03:23:43 AM
There's many that deserve to be desert island picks, but I'd go with the piece from Prokofiev that I first fell in love with, Alexander Nevsky. Discovered the Dutoit/Montreal recording in High school, later the full score performed by Temirkanov/St Petersburg, then watched the film for which it was written for.
I don't believe it's Prokofiev's masterpiece,  nor does it share the compositional genius that his wartime piano sonatas or Symphonies 5 or 6 contan, but Nevsky is a favorite and has been for a long time.

Alexander Nevsky is a great choice, Greg. Is the Dutoit/Montreal still your favorite performance?