Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Symphony-Concerto I guess. I keep waiting for the day when I'll get tired of the piece as everyone else seems to be, and it's been a decade, and hasn't come yet >_>

Part of it I guess is just all the aspects of the piece that harmonise with or seem to describe my own personality as well. I feel like, dude, you know when you take a hit of some real good #$*@, and you feel, like, all connected to everything, like, that's me and that piece, dude
$:)
but anyway it's particularly the second movement, with its obsessive bursts of activity and then that beautiful aspirational melody that gets progressively weakened throughout the movement until disappearing completely, and this whole doom-laden atmosphere, that I find super relatable. Also love the ending, with those ridiculous high harmonics and then this great big bass drum thwack that cuts everything off like a 500 ton anvil dropping. Conductors who minimise the percussion here will forever be my enemies.
[audio]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32084883/Sergei%20Prokofiev%20-%20Sinfonia%20concertante%20op.%20125%20-%20III.%20Andante%20con%20moto.mp3[/audio]

I like the Sonata No. 8 answer as a second choice, but my preference would actually be 6. (It was the first Prokofiev piano work I heard and I thought it dreadfully ugly and barbarous, especially the outer movements. Turns out that yes, it kind of is, that's the point >_>) I like 8, but don't particularly like the resumption of the Vivace busywork in the finale after the central 3/4 section and its collapse into darkness—would have preferred a slow, elegiac coda to follow that instead and am always disappointed. But he might not have felt able to do that under Stalin even if he wanted to.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: amw on July 25, 2016, 07:03:41 AM
I like the Sonata No. 8 answer as a second choice, but my preference would actually be 6. (It was the first Prokofiev piano work I heard and I thought it dreadfully ugly and barbarous, especially the outer movements. Turns out that yes, it kind of is, that's the point >_>)

The 6th sonata is a fine work, too. I almost picked it instead of the 8th.

QuoteI like 8, but don't particularly like the resumption of the Vivace busywork in the finale after the central 3/4 section and its collapse into darkness—would have preferred a slow, elegiac coda to follow that instead and am always disappointed. But he might not have felt able to do that under Stalin even if he wanted to.

That's an interesting take but to me what you're describing sounds more like Schnittke, or Pettersson, than Prokofiev. Prokofiev isn't exactly wired that way (plus during the war Stalin wasn't the ball-buster he was previously, and later became, so I wouldn't say that factors in, here). 

To me the Vivace works great, and it's right in line with Prokofiev's musical language: it's used as a type of musical mood-buster (in the form of razor-wire, here, offset against the gloom, but it can turn up as the lyrical as well, offset against whatever) which often is surgically placed pretty much wherever in the music. But the effect is never arbitrary. The intent seems to be to keep the entirety of a piece in equilibrium, never weighted too much in one direction or the other.

They're his "mood-busting counterbalances". They roam...they lurk...they jolt...they're discord. But never are they less than comforting. To me this his signature move and it's what gives his music a timeless, distinctive sound. It keeps me on my toes, if nothing else! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 25, 2016, 02:46:09 PMThat's an interesting take but to me what you're describing sounds more like Schnittke, or Pettersson, than Prokofiev. Prokofiev isn't exactly wired that way (plus during the war Stalin wasn't the ball-buster he was previously, and later became, so I wouldn't say that factors in, here). 

To me the Vivace works great, and it's right in line with Prokofiev's musical language: it's used as a type of musical mood-buster (in the form of razor-wire, here, offset against the gloom, but it can turn up as the lyrical as well, offset against whatever) which often is surgically placed pretty much wherever in the music. But the effect is never arbitrary. The intent seems to be to keep the entirety of a piece in equilibrium, never weighted too much in one direction or the other.

They're his "mood-busting counterbalances". They roam...they lurk...they jolt...they're discord. But never are they less than comforting. To me this his signature move and it gives his music a timeless, distinctive sound. It keeps me on my toes, if nothing else! :)

An interesting take on Prokofiev. I would say I wouldn't want Prokofiev any other way. He doesn't really subscribe to the same kind of methodologies as Shostakovich, Weinberg, and Schnittke. He comes from a completely different side of the street altogether. The almost unpredictable nature of these signature turn-of-phrases are all a part of his style. In many ways, his music is like a jack-in-the-box. On one hand, it's sturdy and made of good materials, so it's not 'going anywhere' or will break anytime soon, but, on the other hand, the musical proceedings (the unpredictability when turning the crank) are so often a surprise and take listeners in unexpected directions that it keeps you on your toes indeed. :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2016, 03:13:15 PM
An interesting take on Prokofiev. I would say I wouldn't want Prokofiev any other way. He doesn't really subscribe to the same kind of methodologies as Shostakovich, Weinberg, and Schnittke. He comes from a completely different side of the street altogether. The almost unpredictable nature of these signature turn-of-phrases are all a part of his style. In many ways, his music is like a jack-in-the-box. On one hand, it's sturdy and made of good materials, so it's not 'going anywhere' or will break anytime soon, but, on the other hand, the musical proceedings (the unpredictability when turning the crank) are so often a surprise and take listeners in unexpected directions that it keeps you on your toes indeed. :)

100% agreement! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2016, 06:36:16 AM
Alexander Nevsky is a great choice, Greg. Is the Dutoit/Montreal still your favorite performance?

Still love Dutoit/Montreal, but wouldn't want to part ways with Gergiev/Kirov and Termikanov/St Petersburg right now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 25, 2016, 03:21:07 PM
Still love Dutoit/Montreal, but wouldn't want to part ways with Gergiev/Kirov and Termikanov/St Petersburg right now.

Gergiev/Kirov and Previn/LSO remain my personal benchmarks.

vandermolen

I prefer Temirkanov's version of the original score to the Cantata put together by Prokofiev. I also consider that 'Ivan the Terrible' (although never constructed into an independent work by Prokofiev) is a far greater work:
[asin]B000003FMD[/asin]
[asin]B00H5DNBD8[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2016, 03:13:15 PM
He doesn't really subscribe to the same kind of methodologies as ... Schnittke.
Thank GOD!  There's only so much room for tow-motor noise in this world.   :D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on July 26, 2016, 12:31:47 PM
I prefer Temirkanov's version of the original score to the Cantata put together by Prokofiev. I also consider that 'Ivan the Terrible' (although never constructed into an independent work by Prokofiev) is a far greater work:
[asin]B000003FMD[/asin]
[asin]B00H5DNBD8[/asin]

Ivan the Terrible is fantastic, I agree. Polyansky/Russian State SO have a great 2-disc performance of the incidental music.

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 26, 2016, 02:10:46 PM
Ivan the Terrible is fantastic, I agree. Polyansky/Russian State SO have a great 2-disc performance of the incidental music.
I think that I have every recording of 'Ivan the Terrible' in its different versions and that is a very fine one as is Muti's premiere recording with its melodramatic narration:
[asin]B000005GUY[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on July 27, 2016, 01:00:33 PM
I think that I have every recording of 'Ivan the Terrible' in its different versions and that is a very fine one as is Muti's premiere recording with its melodramatic narration:
[asin]B000005GUY[/asin]

Ohhhh, I don't think I've heard that version. I may need get my hands on that one. Thanks!!

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard the Victoria Postnikova/Rozhdestvensky PC cycle on the Moscow Studio Archives label? I'm finishing up their performance of Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 16 right now and quite impressed by it. As good as my other favorite: Krainev/Kitajenko on Teldec.

lescamil

I just gave a listen to Postnikova's first movement of the second concerto and it had some of the oddest phrasing I have heard. Doesn't quite have the full bodied approach it requires, either, at least to my pianist sensibilities. If anything, I admired the way Rozhdestvensky brought out certain lines in the orchestra, such as the clarinet tremolandi in the orchestral interludes.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Postnikova did have some odd phrasing here and there, but that's what I enjoyed about it. It goes outside the more standard notions I have of the work and puts everything into a different perspective. Agreed about Rozhdestvensky. The guy knows his Prokofiev that's for sure.

Karl Henning

Grooving afresh to the Sonata for violin solo, Op.115.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on July 28, 2016, 05:34:11 AM
Grooving afresh to the Sonata for violin solo, Op.115.

Stay groovy, my friend.

vandermolen

TheGSMoeller

Since we've been on the discussion of Nevsky lately, I was wondering if anyone has heard the Nevsky recording By Strobel/Berlin Radio SO? This performance uses the complete film score with its original orchestrations, whereas Yuri Temirkanov/St Petersburg used a version that was orchestrated by David Brohm that resembled the orchestration of the cantata.
I would say if you're a fan of the music (and honestly who isn't?  ;D ) then you should seek it out, even if for a listen or two. It's very different in its tone and scale when compared to the cantata, very thin and smaller sounding, but it's still the great melodies and colorful musical depictions that Prokofiev created for Eisenstein's film.  I was a little jarred when I first listened, but this was the composer's original vision for the music, and it's quite thrilling to hear. The recording quality is clear, and very close up giving it an intimate feeling.

Karl Henning

I've been falling in love all over again with Стальной скок (Le pas d'acier).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: karlhenning on September 06, 2016, 10:07:31 AM
I've been falling in love all over again with Стальной скок (Le pas d'acier).
Understandable! I just got to know this ballet some months ago, and was very impressed!!